DFW News on NBC Ch. 5 showing deceptive video

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 6

DFW News on NBC Ch. 5 showing deceptive video

Post by K5GU »

I just watched a news 'teaser' on KXAS channel 5 talking about the new bills for open carry being debated and voted on, but their video clips are showing the OCT rally long guns and pictures of nothing but rifles and shotguns in a gun store. Then the end of the clip showed Gov. Abbott shaking someone's hand. I emailed Ch 5 News, tweeted, posted to facebook, etc. I am troubled and disappointed that the media is being deceptive about this. :nono:
Life is good.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DFW News on NBC Ch. 5 showing deceptive video

Post by G.A. Heath »

K5GU wrote:I just watched a news 'teaser' on KXAS channel 5 talking about the new bills for open carry being debated and voted on, but their video clips are showing the OCT rally long guns and pictures of nothing but rifles and shotguns in a gun store. Then the end of the clip showed Gov. Abbott shaking someone's hand. I emailed Ch 5 News, tweeted, posted to facebook, etc. I am troubled and disappointed that the media is being deceptive about this. :nono:
that's par for the course with the traditional media.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Fox 4 did the same thing last night.

Sadly, I don't there's any malice involved. It's probably rhe only footage they've got with open carry in it...

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Taypo wrote:Fox 4 did the same thing last night.

Sadly, I don't there's any malice involved. It's probably rhe only footage they've got with open carry in it...
Problem is if someone was watching with the volume turned down or couldn't hear what the reporter was saying and all that was seen was the OCT long gunners, and then Greg Abbott smiling and shaking hands, that would not be a good way to inform the public.
Life is good.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

FYI...Here's a copy of the reply I got from NBC 5 and my message to them (quoted below).

Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:24 PM

Subject: RE: Viewer E-mail - http://www.nbcdfw.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - feedback - Deceptive News Reports on TV Channel 5

Thanks for your email. Although we've made it clear the issue is handguns, our video needs to be
more clear. Thanks for your email. I have reached out to our reporter and photographer on that story as well.

Thank you for watching and emailing us.
Eric

Eric Kreindler
Managing Editor
NBC 5 | Dallas-Fort Worth
>
> -----Original Message-----
> Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:40 PM
> To: @NBC Uni LIM DFW Feedback On The Site
> Subject: Viewer E-mail - http://www.nbcdfw.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - feedback - Deceptive News
> Reports on TV Channel 5
> Message:
> Your news coverage of current Texas Legislation on Open Carry of Handguns
> is deceptive. You are showing video of rifles in gun stores and being
> carried by extremists in the public. This is NOT germane to the handgun
> bills currently being debated and voted on in Austin. The proposed bills
> are for CONCEALED CARRY of HANDGUNS, and have nothing to do with long guns
> in Texas. Please do your diligence and stop confusing the public.
> Thanks.
Last edited by K5GU on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

This link is to a NBC 5 News video that is similar to what I saw on air. They edited out their mentioning that the bills also included carrying on campus, chopped off the end showing Greg Abbott, and I think added the guy in the green shirt inside Ray's store.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/Ope ... 29121.html
Life is good.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

All that they do at the news desk is go to their video archives, search for "Open Carry" and play the video clips that show up.

Well, what is going to pop up in their search? The OCT Morons from previous news stories about OC. They are news people, they don't know anything about anything, they just spit out what they are told by others.

It is just that simple.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I'm up in San Antonio visiting family, and just saw a piece on OC on thelocal NBC station here. They did it right. They had a package that showed people OC pistols. Both semi auto and revolvers.
Was impressed with what the Bexar Count Sherriff said. She basically said open carry won't cause any more problems for her department.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Last edited by K5GU on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TVGuy »

I just pulled and watched all of the packages from the 4p, 430p, 5p, 6p, and 10p news on NBC5. With the exception of the graphic you just showed, I think it was fair coverage.

1) They don't have B-roll of OC handguns
2) The OCT people are what the public knows of this movement unfortunately
3) The footage in the gun store shows long guns because that's what's at eye level and what the camera naturally picks up. You can't shoot (film) a bunch of guns in a glass case, the glare will make it unwatchable with the lights. They did show some, but briefly and from angles. Also, they showed plenty of people handling handguns.

They offered many interviews of pro-gun people that straight out stated the OCT long gun marches are not what real OC is about.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

TVGuy wrote:I just pulled and watched all of the packages from the 4p, 430p, 5p, 6p, and 10p news on NBC5. With the exception of the graphic you just showed, I think it was fair coverage.

3) The footage in the gun store shows long guns because that's what's at eye level and what the camera naturally picks up. You can't shoot (film) a bunch of guns in a glass case, the glare will make it unwatchable with the lights. They did show some, but briefly and from angles. Also, they showed plenty of people handling handguns.

They offered many interviews of pro-gun people that straight out stated the OCT long gun marches are not what real OC is about.
I know it's hard for them to get everything perfect, especially since they try to cover so much in a few minutes of air time. And their coverage didn't confuse me, but I got calls and emails from friends and family who watch the TV news and know I'm wanting licensed open carry, wanting to know if I was crazy and why I would want to walk the streets with an AK or AR15. That is very concerning to me, especially since those people know me. The news coverage is deceptive, especially if you're in an environment where you can't HEAR what the reporters are saying, but only seeing the video, and concerns me very much.
Life is good.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TVGuy »

K5GU wrote:
TVGuy wrote:I just pulled and watched all of the packages from the 4p, 430p, 5p, 6p, and 10p news on NBC5. With the exception of the graphic you just showed, I think it was fair coverage.

I know it's hard for them to get everything perfect, especially since they try to cover so much in a few minutes of air time. And their coverage didn't confuse me, but I got calls and emails from friends and family who watch the TV news and know I'm wanting licensed open carry, wanting to know if I was crazy and why I would want to walk the streets with an AK or AR15. That is very concerning to me, especially since those people know me. The news coverage is deceptive, especially if you're in an environment where you can't HEAR what the reporters are saying, but only seeing the video, and concerns me very much.
I understand your concern and agree with you. Just know, I don't think it was done to purposefully mislead.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”