SB11 brief update

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SB11 brief update

Post by Pawpaw »

I personally have no problem with any university opting out of campus carry, provided they also ope out of accepting any and all public money, including scholarships.

Also, that they post both "big ugly signs" at each entrance to every building they "opt out".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jerry_r60 »

Pawpaw wrote:I personally have no problem with any university opting out of campus carry, provided they also ope out of accepting any and all public money, including scholarships.

Also, that they post both "big ugly signs" at each entrance to every building they "opt out".
I was listening to the debate and it made me think about several things. The bill proponents in the senate supported the opt out for private universities based on property rights grounds and the fact that they are private. The question came up about public money going to students that then spend it at private universities. The bill supporters were saying that money is going to the students and they were making a free choice. I suppose there is likely other public money that may end up at private universities for research or other things, I don't know how that works.

I was trying to bring the concept down to an individual and property rights. I'm not prepared to say that an individual who gets any kind of government assistance can not exert his property rights over a home he/she lives in by excluding someone with a firearm. There may be a long way from an individual to a university but just based on the grounds of the argument, that seems like a fair comparison.

This also seems like a fair compromise to move the ball down field rather than get nothing this session.

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jasonw560 »

Just saw Rep. Rene Oliviera from Brownsville on TV down here worrying about students getting shot "over something as trivial as a parking place" if this is passed. :banghead:

The idiocy hurts my head. And you would think I'm used to it, living in the Valley. I would call his office tomorrow, but I'm taking my boys and some friends fishing. All calls to his office correcting his staff would be appreciated.

From what he said, there is going to be an "opt out" amendment offered.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jasonw560 wrote:From what he said, there is going to be an "opt out" amendment offered.
Sen. Zaffirini tried in the Senate and it failed. It will fail in the House also. If it were to pass, the Senate would not concur and the opt-out provision would be stripped in a conference committee.

There will be no opt-out provision for state supported schools in any campus-carry bill that passes.

Chas.

chop249

Post by chop249 »

Chas,
Will there be an overview email sent out by the coalition on the changes brought by all the bills and when they take effect? I see that SB 17 and 11, if I'm reading the Tx. website correctly, have now passed. Also where could I read the actual bill online? It didn't seem to have a link on the website. I only saw where I was able to read the offered amendments and whether or not they were tabled, withdrawn or approved.
Thanks,
Bob

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

chop249 wrote:Chas,
Will there be an overview email sent out by the coalition on the changes brought by all the bills and when they take effect? I see that SB 17 and 11, if I'm reading the Tx. website correctly, have now passed.
They have passed out of the Senate, but they are not law. They must still pass the House, and then be signed, or at least not vetoed by the Governor. The Governor won't be the problem.

chop249 wrote:Also where could I read the actual bill online? It didn't seem to have a link on the website. I only saw where I was able to read the offered amendments and whether or not they were tabled, withdrawn or approved.
Thanks,
Bob
Start here: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can search on the bill numbers and find the page(s) with the "Text" tab.
USAF 1982-2005

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jasonw560 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jasonw560 wrote:From what he said, there is going to be an "opt out" amendment offered.
Sen. Zaffirini tried in the Senate and it failed. It will fail in the House also. If it were to pass, the Senate would not concur and the opt-out provision would be stripped in a conference committee.

There will be no opt-out provision for state supported schools in any campus-carry bill that passes.

Chas.
I figured as much. I'll give them an "A" for effort, even though this time around they'll fail miserably.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”