HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 9

Re: HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Post by ScooterSissy »

txglock21 wrote:
Winchster wrote:The building in question isn't on school grounds, it's nearby. However, it is improperly posted 30.06 anyway.
Why do you think it (the building) is "improperly posted"? I live and work in Garland and have been there many times. I can assure you it is properly posted if that's proper wording. The building is owned and operated by GISD. I can't say for sure about the actual ground it is on. I think the land is owned by the City of Garland, but not 100% positive on that. 30.06 is posted on every public enterance and also has had metal detectors every time I've been there. The parking lot is not posted and AFAIK you can walk around and right up to the front door with your CHL and weapon as long as you don't walk through the door with it. You are correct in that it is down the street from Naaman Forest HS, but the two properties are not divided by anything.
I think the point is that a government owned building is not supposed to be posted at all, with the few exceptions listed in the statues. It may be school owned, but it's not a school.

txglock21
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txglock21 »

ScooterSissy wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
Winchster wrote:The building in question isn't on school grounds, it's nearby. However, it is improperly posted 30.06 anyway.
Why do you think it (the building) is "improperly posted"? I live and work in Garland and have been there many times. I can assure you it is properly posted if that's proper wording. The building is owned and operated by GISD. I can't say for sure about the actual ground it is on. I think the land is owned by the City of Garland, but not 100% positive on that. 30.06 is posted on every public enterance and also has had metal detectors every time I've been there. The parking lot is not posted and AFAIK you can walk around and right up to the front door with your CHL and weapon as long as you don't walk through the door with it. You are correct in that it is down the street from Naaman Forest HS, but the two properties are not divided by anything.
I think the point is that a government owned building is not supposed to be posted at all, with the few exceptions listed in the statues. It may be school owned, but it's not a school.
I'm not arguing with either one of you. You both may be right. All I'm saying is, it is and has been posted since it was built and I for one am not going to lose my CHL to prove a point. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 35

Post by TVGuy »

How does any of the last page about Garland ISD building have to do with open carry, which is what HB 910 is about? :confused5 :headscratch

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

txglock21 wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
I'm not arguing with either one of you. You both may be right. All I'm saying is, it is and has been posted since it was built and I for one am not going to lose my CHL to prove a point. :tiphat:
I don't want to quibble, but rather point out I think the language used was deliberate.

First of all, I agree with you completely about not carrying past a post 30.06. That's why I think pending legislation that makes knowingly posting a 30.06 illegal. I think too many "we know best" government folks post signs that they suspect may be improper (or in some cases, know it to be so) because it suits what they want.

But I digress. I think the term "improperly posted" was used deliberately, as opposed to "not properly posted". "Not properly posted" would (I'm guessing) mean that someone forgot to post at one of the doors, or used old wording instead of the current. "Improperly posted" (again, my guess) meaning that they deliberately posted something when they weren't supposed to.

It's probably worth noting that had the good police and guards not stopped these guys, every person that heeded those signs, whether improper or not, would have been sitting ducks.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

TVGuy wrote:How does any of the last page about Garland ISD building have to do with open carry, which is what HB 910 is about? :confused5 :headscratch
Topic veered a little comparing HB308 to HB910.

Bladed
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Bladed »

Winchster wrote:
txglock21 wrote: Is an ISD a government agency? I truly don't know, but also the Dallas County Tax Office in Garland is definitely government- owned and yet is "properly posted" also. Both are listed on Texas3006.com. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :cheers2:
One final comment, then I will quit hijacking the thread. Yes an ISD is a government agency, as is the tax office and one of the sections of 30.06 reads:

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Therefore, to me, and many others, it is "improperly" posted. :cheers2:
The real question is whether it is "a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03." If a school sporting event is taking place there, it would definitely be a prohibited location under 46.035; therefore, the 30.06 signs would be enforceable under those circumstances. However, the question is whether a for-lease arena/conference center owned by a school district is the premises of an educational institution.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”