OCT Pro-Gun or Pro-Gun Control?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 8

OCT Pro-Gun or Pro-Gun Control?

Post by G.A. Heath »

OCT posted an interesting little bit to their facebook page, anyone who feels that OCT is a no compromise pro-gun organization needs to look a little closer to what OCT is up to. The post is here: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Facebook login required to view)

OCT opens with "We support property rights and we COULD support Nevarez's bill IF he removes the penalty." OCT then says that they have met with Representative Nevarez and have offered to support his bill if he removes the penalty. but then they say "However, Nevarez isn't concerned about private property rights; he's more interested in putting gun owners in jail. This is a means to his ends. He's not fooling us." If they know his goals and claim that he isn't fooling them, then why on earth would they support his bill with one minor change?

OCT then claims "If businesses want to ban guns from their premises, they shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do it." Which is the reason we need a well defined law that is very specific in it's requirements, but if OCT really is a pro-gun organization why do they want to make it easier to ban guns? If HB910 or SB17 passes in their current form along with HB2405 Open Carry would enjoy the protection of a specific sign while concealed carry would be easily banned by businesses who would probably think they were banning Open Carry. OCT also says "We don't need another law making it a crime to walk past a piece of paper." Which I agree with, Penal Code 30.06 protects us from that while HB2405 would subject us to it.

OCT finishes the facebook post with "Let businesses have whatever "no guns" sign they want." So there you have it, OCT the pro-gun or is it pro-gun-control group tossing their support behind making it easier to ban guns.

Screen capture below in case OCT's post goes away:
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Paragrouper
Posts in topic: 2

Re: OCT Pro-Gun or Pro-Gun Control?

Post by Paragrouper »

My dislike for OCT just keeps growing. What's their beef? "Their" open carry bill has no support so they are going to torpedo all the other efforts in the pipeline for this legislature? :banghead:
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

Considering how the constitutional carry folks are actually going to try to sink licensed open carry with amendments that they consider to be "improvements", it's becoming pretty clear that they will work toward their own ends without regard to the overall picture. Their damage won't be limited to just the current licensed open carry bills since open carry has pushed better bills (specifically HB308 and SB273) to the sidelines. And now they'll even go so far as to back an obvious anti-gun bill proposed by someone that rose to prominence due to their wrong-headed tactics. Say what you will about Moms or Everytown, but at least they are smart enough to get a paycheck for advocating gun-control.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

Some members of OCT have stated, if we don't get open carry like we want, we will oppose any other type, as we are opposed to any type of licensing. I think they are for this changing 30.06 to push their point.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

Seems to me like they are foolish enough to think they can pull the wool over the legislators eyes by telling him they'll support his bill if he'll remove penalty because they are the types that will just ignore the signs if there is no penalty.

However, what they are inadvertently doing is helping the other side take incremental steps to more gun control. They are too ignorant and pig headed to realize small incremental steps is how legislature gets passed and goals accomplished.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ruark »

I could sit here and type a long, eloquent article, with a "line-by-line discussion and analysis," but I'll digress.

(sighs heavily)... As my mother used to say, "some people are just plain stupid."
-Ruark

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I wouldn't be surprised to find the core organizing individuals are anti-gun who've convinced a lot of "Useful Idiots" into following their lead...

They continue to blacken the eyes of pro-gun folk.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

I'm thinking more of bulls in a china shop.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

I've actually met a couple members of these orgs and I can assure you that these folks could easily be convinced to do the wrong thing for the wrong reason. Beyond that I wouldn't be surprised if the leadership of OCT and Mothers used the same PO box.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

OCT is causing more problems for Texas gun owners that have yet come to light . . . More info after the session is over.

Chas.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:OCT is causing more problems for Texas gun owners that have yet come to light . . . More info after the session is over.

Chas.
:shock: :headscratch Not even a hint? Great. One more thing to worry about. :???:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 8

Post by G.A. Heath »

joe817 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:OCT is causing more problems for Texas gun owners that have yet come to light . . . More info after the session is over.

Chas.
:shock: :headscratch Not even a hint? Great. One more thing to worry about. :???:
If there was anything we could do about it without doing more damage by making it public Charles would let us know. While the legislature is in session we have to be careful because we could damage our efforts. I am sitting on an opinion piece I have regarding CJ Grisham, mostly because I don't want to give the other side ammunition, once the session is over I plan to go forward with it.

Don't worry about what OCT has done that can't be discussed right now, worry about getting pro-gun legislation passed while stopping the anti-gun bills.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

joe817 wrote:

Chas.
Most of the time it's not what you say, but when you say it, that has the most impact. This forum is popular fodder for those that have their own agendas. So it's best to not given them the arrows while we are still in the thick of it.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

G.A. Heath wrote:
joe817 wrote:

Chas.
If there was anything we could do about it without doing more damage by making it public Charles would let us know. While the legislature is in session we have to be careful because we could damage our efforts. I am sitting on an opinion piece I have regarding CJ Grisham, mostly because I don't want to give the other side ammunition, once the session is over I plan to go forward with it.

Don't worry about what OCT has done that can't be discussed right now, worry about getting pro-gun legislation passed while stopping the anti-gun bills.
Exactly. My thinking is unless an OCT member is also a Senator or Representative, their affect on floor actions and votes on bills in progress are overrated.
Life is good.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

G.A. Heath wrote:
Well said.

:tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”