HB910/SB17 standoff

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

booze97
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB910/SB17 standoff

Post by booze97 »

canvasbck wrote:[rant] HB910/SB17 should be passed simply because it's none of the Government's buisness what manner I chose to carry my chosen tool for defense. HB308 and, to a lesser extent, SB11 should be passed because 1) the governement should not be telling law abiding citizens where they can and cannot go while engaged in legal behavior and 2) a person's need to have the ability to defend themself is just as high (higher) while returning to their car after attending a professional rodeo as it is while they are shopping at Walmart, the government should not be stripping citizens of that ability. [/rant]
:iagree: A-fricken-men

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ruark »

DevilDawg wrote:The new A/G announced the renewed ban on semi-auto is her main goal. Bill's wife said at a $15k/plate fundraiser stated gun control is her primary domestic goal once elected.
Are you freaking kidding? Can you point to a URL for verification? Is she talking about all semi-autos, or is she talking about reinstating the "assault weapon" ban?
-Ruark

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

Ruark wrote:
DevilDawg wrote:The new A/G announced the renewed ban on semi-auto is her main goal. Bill's wife said at a $15k/plate fundraiser stated gun control is her primary domestic goal once elected.
Are you freaking kidding? Can you point to a URL for verification? Is she talking about all semi-autos, or is she talking about reinstating the "assault weapon" ban?
Here's an article written 6 days ago in Ammoland about this subject. [Note: The article appears to have originated from GOA. No comment on that.]

"Lynch Confirmed As Obama’s New AG, Senate Leadership Stabs Gun Owners in the Back"

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/lynch-c ... z3YiW1zLJF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mad5
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ruark wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:Let the public choose.

Get hold of one of the news agencies and start a poll on which one is preferred by the public. Only have two choices, HB910 and SB17. Place their names on each.

Polls represent votes. Bet one of um will change their mind!
That's an idea; put a little public pressure into the mix. Thing is, with the MDA loonies out there, a public poll might end up backfiring. Maybe Chas would give us a green light to push Patrick to move on HB910. Remember, whichever one goes first wins.
Remember that Charles has specifically asked us not to issue our own calls to action, but to respond quickly and in number to his. There is a reason for this. Charles has no control over anyone else's calls to action, and he can't turn them off once they've been turned on. To be most effective, he needs to be able to guarantee a targetted official that he can turn the hose off as well as turning it on. So he has asked us to respond to his calls to action, and to ignore the calls to action of some of the firebrands out there. That's what I am going to do, because I trust his instincts and hard won political wisdom in this fight.

I don't mean to criticise y'alls desire to get things done. It is GOOD to be that concerned, and that willing to get involved. Calling your individual senator or representative once in a while is one thing. I've done that too. But unless Charles specifically asks for us to flood a bunch of other officials' offices with phone calls and emails, I'm going to avoid doing that. And then if he does ask us for it, I'm going to DO it. And when he says STOP, I'm going to STOP...........because that is what wins fights.

And I echo what someone else said in this thread........if we haven't heard from Charles, it isn't because he's not on top of what is going on, it is because he is really busy getting stuff handled, and he'll come to us when he needs us.

Edited to add: Please read this post on another thread from just yesterday: viewtopic.php?p=978283#p978283
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
safety1 wrote:
Srnewby wrote:Before anyone loses hope that OC will get passed, I would note that Charles has been absent from these conversations for several days and the last comment I saw from him is that OC will pass. I am hopeful that something is being worked out in the background that none of us is aware of yet. I won't give up hope until such time as Charles says OC is dead for this session.
I agree, until Charles says its dead......its still alive! I will contiune to make calls until i hear otherwise.
Open-carry is fine and even HB308 has some life left in it. Srnewby is correct, something is working so watch the horizon. Since we know the opposition reads the Forum, and that there are even moles among us, I can't say more at this point. I spent the day in Austin today.

Chas.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

canvasbck wrote:[rant] This is absolutely pathetic! Here we are with the most conservative chambers in Texas' modern history and we are struggling to pass ONE high profile gun rights bill. With the makeup of this congress, passing HB910, SB11, and HB308 should be doable. Instead, we look like we are going to struggle with the one that does NOTHING to expand the places where we can protect ourselves. Faculty and students will continue to be vulnerable, an active shooter at a high school football game will still have a free-for-all, but hey, we should all rejoice because those in power are going to allow me to tuck in my shirt while I'm carrying provided that I only go the places that THEY will allow me to go.

Don't get me wrong, I have been vocally pro OC. I have expressed several times that I find it absurd that the difference between legally carrying and illegaly carrying is a peice of cloth. HB910/SB17 are crucial pieces of legislation for the sake of liberty. The ability to carry in whatever mode that I see fit is an expansion of liberty, but it is not an expansion in my ability to protect myself and my family. HB910/SB17 should be passed simply because it's none of the Government's buisness what manner I chose to carry my chosen tool for defense. HB308 and, to a lesser extent, SB11 should be passed because 1) the governement should not be telling law abiding citizens where they can and cannot go while engaged in legal behavior and 2) a person's need to have the ability to defend themself is just as high (higher) while returning to their car after attending a professional rodeo as it is while they are shopping at Walmart, the government should not be stripping citizens of that ability.

Strauss and Patrick need to put on their big boy panties and do the job they were sent to Austin to do and quit worrying about who gets to claim to be the author of a certain bill! Strauss needs to represent the people of Texas and not just the UT Chancellor! [/rant]
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 6

Post by canvasbck »

Thanks TAM..........I ACTUALLY laughed out loud on that one.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

sherlock7

Post by sherlock7 »

Canvasbck,

Your most recent post was excellent and describes exactly what is going on regarding there 2 bills in Austin. Very well put!
You pretty much summed up how I and most of my friends feel .

Thank You ,

Semper Fi

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

canvasbck wrote:[rant] This is absolutely pathetic! Here we are with the most conservative chambers in Texas' modern history and we are struggling to pass ONE high profile gun rights bill. With the makeup of this congress, passing HB910, SB11, and HB308 should be doable.

Strauss and Patrick need to put on their big boy panties and do the job they were sent to Austin to do and quit worrying about who gets to claim to be the author of a certain bill! Strauss needs to represent the people of Texas and not just the UT Chancellor! [/rant]
Doable? With the number of Repubs it should be a no-brainer. OC and CC should have sailed through. And look how long the Repubs have been the dominant party in TX. If the tables were turned and the Dems were in power, they'd pretty much gut all the OC, CHL, and any chance of CC in a single session.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

canvasbck wrote:[rant] This is absolutely pathetic! Here we are with the most conservative chambers in Texas' modern history and we are struggling to pass ONE high profile gun rights bill. With the makeup of this congress, passing HB910, SB11, and HB308 should be doable. Instead, we look like we are going to struggle with the one that does NOTHING to expand the places where we can protect ourselves. Faculty and students will continue to be vulnerable, an active shooter at a high school football game will still have a free-for-all, but hey, we should all rejoice because those in power are going to allow me to tuck in my shirt while I'm carrying provided that I only go the places that THEY will allow me to go.

Don't get me wrong, I have been vocally pro OC. I have expressed several times that I find it absurd that the difference between legally carrying and illegaly carrying is a peice of cloth. HB910/SB17 are crucial pieces of legislation for the sake of liberty. The ability to carry in whatever mode that I see fit is an expansion of liberty, but it is not an expansion in my ability to protect myself and my family. HB910/SB17 should be passed simply because it's none of the Government's buisness what manner I chose to carry my chosen tool for defense. HB308 and, to a lesser extent, SB11 should be passed because 1) the governement should not be telling law abiding citizens where they can and cannot go while engaged in legal behavior and 2) a person's need to have the ability to defend themself is just as high (higher) while returning to their car after attending a professional rodeo as it is while they are shopping at Walmart, the government should not be stripping citizens of that ability.

Somebody needs to print this and send it to Austin.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

God yes.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Ruark wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response, here is the link to Bill's wife. Third paragraph refers to her intention.

http://nationalreport.net/hillary-gun-c ... istration/
Quoted from article:
Though Hillary’s comments on the need for more stringent gun regulations did not contain any specific policy objectives they were nonetheless strongly worded. She told the gathered crowd that “the proliferation of semi-automatic weapons among the general populace presents a grave danger to the stability and continuity of governance in our nation”. Later in her remarks she expressed the belief that a federal framework needed to be emplaced which would supersede the patchwork of existing state regulations and policies in regards to registration and sales of firearms. She explained that the consistency of a federal framework would end the exploitation of the weak gun laws present in some states to fuel the sale and use of illegal weapons nationally.

The GOA article is the same source I saw earlier with regards to the A/G.

dru
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dru »

DevilDawg wrote:
Ruark wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response, here is the link to Bill's wife. Third paragraph refers to her intention.

http://nationalreport.net/hillary-gun-c ... istration/
Quoted from article:
Though Hillary’s comments on the need for more stringent gun regulations did not contain any specific policy objectives they were nonetheless strongly worded. She told the gathered crowd that “the proliferation of semi-automatic weapons among the general populace presents a grave danger to the stability and continuity of governance in our nation”. Later in her remarks she expressed the belief that a federal framework needed to be emplaced which would supersede the patchwork of existing state regulations and policies in regards to registration and sales of firearms. She explained that the consistency of a federal framework would end the exploitation of the weak gun laws present in some states to fuel the sale and use of illegal weapons nationally.

The GOA article is the same source I saw earlier with regards to the A/G.

National Report is considered to be a satirical news source. Not that there isn't an element of truth to the quote, but I wouldn't use that source for reporting actual events, viewpoints, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Thanks Dru, and yes even given that bit I would still be inclined tonbelieve she said this.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

XinTX wrote:
canvasbck wrote:[rant] This is absolutely pathetic! Here we are with the most conservative chambers in Texas' modern history and we are struggling to pass ONE high profile gun rights bill. With the makeup of this congress, passing HB910, SB11, and HB308 should be doable.

Doable? With the number of Repubs it should be a no-brainer. OC and CC should have sailed through. And look how long the Repubs have been the dominant party in TX. If the tables were turned and the Dems were in power, they'd pretty much gut all the OC, CHL, and any chance of CC in a single session.

There's your answer folks. ^^^^^^^^^^^

There should not be any need for ANY pro-gun bill to be "kicked to the curb", this session!

All the same old talk about 'wasted political capital', so and so did this or that...and killed it, baby steps, blah, blah.

If we actually had 'political capital' we would be getting bills passed.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by v7a »

1 month left until end of session.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”