HB910/SB17 standoff

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB910/SB17 standoff

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Agree with other posters, with all the talk of recorded votes and political capital, the voters sending the highest number of Republicans to Austin, these pro 2A bills should have been done and gone already. My goodness, what do we (as voters) have to do? Where are the CTA's to push these bills over the finish line?

See you in 2017
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

OldGrumpy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldGrumpy »

When is enough, enough? Had a good a bill coming out of the House and going back to the Senate. Someone gets the brilliant idea to make it better and thus the amendment to prohibit asking for license. Law enforcement, and maybe others, don't like the amendment and thus we have a stalemate. Reminds me of the TV show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Everyone gets greedy in the end!
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

OldGrumpy wrote:When is enough, enough? Had a good a bill coming out of the House and going back to the Senate. Someone gets the brilliant idea to make it better and thus the amendment to prohibit asking for license. Law enforcement, and maybe others, don't like the amendment and thus we have a stalemate. Reminds me of the TV show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Everyone gets greedy in the end!
The amendment is good. It is not about asking for License, it is about stopping someone for the mere open carry with no other articulate reason of suspicion of committing a crime.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

We should ask for a call of action, to energize both chambers to get into action.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Srnewby

Post by Srnewby »

A few days ago, Charles commented that things were in the works and that licensed OC is very much alive and well and that maybe even HB 308 was not dead and to keep our eyes "on the horizon". I know patience is difficult, but I really think it is the best course of action at this point in time. Issuing our own calls to action may not be the most prudent thing to do right now.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I've got my hopes up. Campus carry would be a great thing for me. 308 would be nice, but the fact that there's an entire segment of the population that can't carry their sidearms when they are licensed and background checked simply because they are on a college campus is ludicrous. Everyone who works, teaches, or goes to school on a college campus and is of legal age and licensed should be able to protect themselves when at work/school. The police can't be there every time something bad happens. As evidenced over and over again. :bigmouth
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

OldGrumpy wrote:When is enough, enough? Had a good a bill coming out of the House and going back to the Senate. Someone gets the brilliant idea to make it better and thus the amendment to prohibit asking for license. Law enforcement, and maybe others, don't like the amendment and thus we have a stalemate. Reminds me of the TV show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Everyone gets greedy in the end!
With or without that amendment, HB 910 would have had to go through the Senate process. Unless you think Lt. Gov. Patrick hasn't yet referred the bill to committee because of that amendment, I'm not sure how the amendment is the problem.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by XinTX »

Srnewby wrote:A few days ago, Charles commented that things were in the works and that licensed OC is very much alive and well and that maybe even HB 308 was not dead and to keep our eyes "on the horizon". I know patience is difficult, but I really think it is the best course of action at this point in time. Issuing our own calls to action may not be the most prudent thing to do right now.
I do think many of us are getting a bit impatient. As many have said, with the GOP majority this SHOULD have sailed through. But yet we see it bogged down in the mud for some unknown reason. And no progress on HB308 that we've heard is troubling as well. Heck, the events of Garland should be ample evidence that HB308 is a good idea. Had one or both of the bad guys there made it inside, it could have been a disaster (I've read that activity center is owned by the Garland ISD and is 30.06 posted. I haven't been there and stand to be corrected).
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

XinTX wrote:
Srnewby wrote:A few days ago, Charles commented that things were in the works and that licensed OC is very much alive and well and that maybe even HB 308 was not dead and to keep our eyes "on the horizon". I know patience is difficult, but I really think it is the best course of action at this point in time. Issuing our own calls to action may not be the most prudent thing to do right now.
I do think many of us are getting a bit impatient. As many have said, with the GOP majority this SHOULD have sailed through. But yet we see it bogged down in the mud for some unknown reason. And no progress on HB308 that we've heard is troubling as well. Heck, the events of Garland should be ample evidence that HB308 is a good idea. Had one or both of the bad guys there made it inside, it could have been a disaster (I've read that activity center is owned by the Garland ISD and is 30.06 posted. I haven't been there and stand to be corrected).

You are correct on this.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

XinTX wrote:
I understand that some people are getting impatient; heck, I'm getting impatient. But the idea shared by a few people that a majority of Republicans means we automatically get anything and everything we want, when we want it ignores reality and the political process. Don't fall for the lies of NARG, OCT, OCTC, Texas Gun Rights, Texas Carry or any of the other people and organizations whose track records are marked only by failures and strong rhetoric.

Gun bills are a very small percentage of the thousands of bills that are filed and people who are very good friends to gun owners have many other issues and bills to work. Literally, every time we ask someone to push one of our bills, by necessity we are asking them to put aside other bills.

This session, we have other issues that are blocking all legislation, not just ours. Don't ask me to explain because I cannot and will not as it would damage our bills.

Chas.

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

i totally agree with Charles, In many ways its like waiting for your CHL so let it lay, If Charles says its OK then it most likely is OK.
Do not rock the boat .......

toddlinder

Post by toddlinder »

Thank you Charles!

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mr1337 »

SB11 and SB17 referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety

:hurry:

It's not HB910 with those really good amendments, but it's something!
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

CJD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CJD »

mr1337 wrote:SB11 and SB17 referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety

They could amend 17 the same way, then hopefully the Senate would concur.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mr1337 »

CJD wrote:
mr1337 wrote:SB11 and SB17 referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety

They could amend 17 the same way, then hopefully the Senate would concur.
Let's hope they do!
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”