HB910/SB17 standoff

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB910/SB17 standoff

Post by SA-TX »

I typed a longer reply but since Charles deleted his post, it is probably best not to address the ghost as he had his reasons.

In any retrospective after the session, let's not forget our legislative leaders playing chicken while burning valuable legislative time.

SA-TX

Tracker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tracker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
safety1 wrote:
mikeloc wrote:I'm not okay with it. This is not a police state.
:iagree:
Then tell Stickland and OCT thanks for publicly claiming the Dutton/Rinaldi Amendment essentially created unlicensed open-carry.

Stripping that amendment will have no impact on policing. Either the 5th Circuit will adopt the Black decision or it will not. That's what will make the determination. Even then, it's very easy to add one more fact to the scenario to get beyond the prohibition on detaining someone solely because they are openly carrying a handgun.

[venting]Folks, there was a strong push for some legal of retention holster and that was avoided. The was a far less likely push for some type of visible CHL identification, and that too was avoided. I would have hoped that, by now, the all-or-nothing approach would have been recognized for what it is -- a pipe dream. I will renew my question from two years ago, "was the push for open-carry really worth it?" My answer is a resounding NO! It was far too expensive. It will have been a symbolic victory with very little practical application for all but the tiny percentage of gun owners. The battle cost us other bills that impact countless Texans, including some that were not even filed.[/venting]

Chas.
Chas, could we have gotten HB308 all in one season. Or does campus carry need to be passed on its own acount first? IOW how much political capital would HB 308 have cost?

Bladed
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bladed »

Tracker wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
safety1 wrote:
mikeloc wrote:I'm not okay with it. This is not a police state.
:iagree:
Then tell Stickland and OCT thanks for publicly claiming the Dutton/Rinaldi Amendment essentially created unlicensed open-carry.

Stripping that amendment will have no impact on policing. Either the 5th Circuit will adopt the Black decision or it will not. That's what will make the determination. Even then, it's very easy to add one more fact to the scenario to get beyond the prohibition on detaining someone solely because they are openly carrying a handgun.

[venting]Folks, there was a strong push for some legal of retention holster and that was avoided. The was a far less likely push for some type of visible CHL identification, and that too was avoided. I would have hoped that, by now, the all-or-nothing approach would have been recognized for what it is -- a pipe dream. I will renew my question from two years ago, "was the push for open-carry really worth it?" My answer is a resounding NO! It was far too expensive. It will have been a symbolic victory with very little practical application for all but the tiny percentage of gun owners. The battle cost us other bills that impact countless Texans, including some that were not even filed.[/venting]

Chas.
Chas, could we have gotten HB308 all in one season. Or does campus carry need to be passed on its own acount first? IOW how much political capital would HB 308 have cost?
Speaking of political capital, here is a quick word from someone who overestimates his own political capital:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politi ... 270691.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The governor would also call a special session to take care of open carry once and for all" if the measure didn't pass before the regular session ends June 1, Grisham said. "If he didn't, it would be political suicide for him."

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”