HB3884

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CJD
Posts in topic: 5

HB3884

Post by CJD »

Removing "illegal knives" from 46.02 passed to engrossment.

thechl
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB3884

Post by thechl »

Along with HB 905...otherwise, local govt's will just add them back to their long lists of ordinances.

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

Even 905 won't keep that from happening, as it only preempts knives, not "location-prohibited knives." Still a step forward, though.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

CJD wrote:Even 905 won't keep that from happening, as it only preempts knives, not "location-prohibited knives." Still a step forward, though.
I would think that location-prohibited knives still fall under the knife category, thus making any knife ordinances (including location-prohibited knifes) to be null and void.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

mr1337 wrote:
CJD wrote:Even 905 won't keep that from happening, as it only preempts knives, not "location-prohibited knives." Still a step forward, though.
I would think that location-prohibited knives still fall under the knife category, thus making any knife ordinances (including location-prohibited knifes) to be null and void.
You are correct mr1337:

"C.S.H.B. 905 amends the Local Government Code to prohibit a municipality or county from adopting regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of knives. The bill prohibits a municipality or county from enforcing a regulation adopted by the municipality or county before the bill's effective date that relates to knives if the adoption of the regulation would be prohibited under the bill's provisions. The bill requires a court in which a proceeding is pending for a violation of such a regulation to dismiss the proceeding."

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

mr1337 wrote:
It only preempts "knife" as defined in 46.01, which is distinct from "location prohibited knives". It only preempts currently state-legal knives, not "illegal knives" or if hb3884 passes, "location prohibited knives".

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

CJD wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
It only preempts "knife" as defined in 46.01, which is distinct from "location prohibited knives". It only preempts currently state-legal knives, not "illegal knives" or if hb3884 passes, "location prohibited knives".
Good catch, I didn't see that part of the bill. I withdraw previous statement.

So localities would still be able to create ordinances on knives over 5.5 inches in blade length, but not for any under 5.5 inches. I hope it will get fixed next session if it doesn't get amended this session. Still a victory either way.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

mr1337 wrote:
CJD wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
So localities would still be able to create ordinances on knives over 5.5 inches in blade length
Don't forget throwing stars, daggers, swords, and spears too!

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

mr1337 wrote:
CJD wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

So localities would still be able to create ordinances on knives over 5.5 inches in blade length, but not for any under 5.5 inches. I hope it will get fixed next session if it doesn't get amended this session. Still a victory either way.
Just as the definition of "knife" currently includes an "illegal knife," it would (under HB 3884) include a "location-prohibited knife."

Texas Penal Code Section 46.01(7) states:
"Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
It doesn't say "any bladed hand instrument other than an illegal knife" or "any bladed hand instrument other than a location-prohibited knife."

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

Bladed wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
CJD wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

Just as the definition of "knife" currently includes an "illegal knife," it would (under HB 3884) include a "location-prohibited knife."

"Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
It doesn't say "any bladed hand instrument other than an illegal knife" or "any bladed hand instrument other than a location-prohibited knife."
I hadn't considered that, I just assumed that their being distinct meant they were exclusive. Admittedly, I don't know enough about law to know one way or the other, I just figured they were separated for a reason.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

CJD wrote:
Bladed wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
CJD wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

I hadn't considered that, I just assumed that their being distinct meant they were exclusive. Admittedly, I don't know enough about law to know one way or the other, I just figured they were separated for a reason.
Basically, "knife" is the broad, all-encompassing category, and "illegal knife" (hopefully soon to be "location-prohibited knife") is a smaller subset of that category.

An illegal knife is always a knife, but a knife isn't always an illegal knife.

thechl

Post by thechl »

Well, Criminal Justice published their agenda for next Tuesday. HB905 didn't 'make the cut' so....

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

thechl wrote:Well, Criminal Justice published their agenda for next Tuesday. HB905 didn't 'make the cut' so....
That just means it's not currently on the agenda for that day. They may be holding 905 to be heard during the same hearing as 3884.

Bills can be added to an agenda, and committees often meet multiple times per week late in the session. They have until May 27 to get it out of committee and vote on it on the floor.

thechl

Post by thechl »

Thanks, Bladed.
When shared in this manner your knowledge is valuable and appreciated.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”