SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 10

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by SewTexas »

TVGuy wrote:
SewTexas wrote:15 mins after adjournment, so it's gonna be a late night.
Might limit the number of people that stick around to testify.

Sen. Huffman said "I have no idea when that's going to be"

that's a really good point
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

‏@chucklindell now50 seconds ago

#HB910 will be substituted to REMOVE House amendment banning police stops solely to check CHL for open carry, @EstesForTexas says. #txlege

arthurcw
Posts in topic: 13

Post by arthurcw »

So, "Don't go to Austin and OC." Basically.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

NotRPB wrote:‏@chucklindell now50 seconds ago

#HB910 will be substituted to REMOVE House amendment banning police stops solely to check CHL for open carry, @EstesForTexas says. #txlege
Disappointing that the Senate has decided to screw those of us who live in Democrat-controlled cities.

It's too bad we probably won't find out which R Senator(s) threatened to vote NO on HB910 unless the amendment was removed.

On the positive side, this means that when HB910 hits the floor the Democrats will be pushing the same tired arguments they did last time (rather than the freshly invented "Biker gangs will be able to Open Carry and the police won't be able to do anything" bull).

Prediction: when minorities inevitably get harassed for Open Carrying, Democrats and the media will dishonestly blame the Republicans for removing this anti-profiling amendment.
Last edited by v7a on Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 14

Post by LSUTiger »

That's a bummer, but if the police want to waste my time I am happy to waste theirs. Also, I think with OC, that I will be better protected, I'm sure they will follow OCers around in the beginning to hassle them. It's OK, with all the police following me around I think they might actually be around when you need them or better yet with OC and Police presence there will likely be no trouble in the first place.

I feel safer already. Let's hope OC final makes it through the process!
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 31

Post by TXBO »

LSUTiger wrote:

That's a bummer, but if the police want to waste my time I am happy to waste theirs. Also, I think with OC, that I will be better protected, I'm sure they will follow OCers around in the beginning to hassle them. It's OK, with all the police following me around I think they might actually be around when you need them or better yet with OC and Police presence there will likely be no trouble in the first place.

I feel safer already. Let's hope OC final makes it through the process!
I'd like the amendment to stay buy if I'm in a place with a large LEO presence, I'm most likely concealed anyway.

arthurcw
Posts in topic: 13

Post by arthurcw »

I would prefer the amendment to lessen the chance of an LEO v. OCT mistake that leads to bad press.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/op ... men/nmJYB/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in part:

By Chuck Lindell - American-Statesman Staff

A bill allowing for openly carried handguns will be stripped of a House amendment that bans police stops to check for concealed handgun licenses when the legislation is considered by a Senate committee Monday, the bill’s Senate sponsor told the American-Statesman.

Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, said the amendment will be removed from House Bill 910 at the request of Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston, who is chairwoman of the State Affairs Committee.

So that it can pass possibly ...

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

NotRPB wrote:http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/op ... men/nmJYB/
in part:

By Chuck Lindell - American-Statesman Staff

A bill allowing for openly carried handguns will be stripped of a House amendment that bans police stops to check for concealed handgun licenses when the legislation is considered by a Senate committee Monday, the bill’s Senate sponsor told the American-Statesman.

Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, said the amendment will be removed from House Bill 910 at the request of Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston, who is chairwoman of the State Affairs Committee.

So that it can pass possibly ...

If the take away here is the House will move forward with SB11, I'll take the trade.
I don't have a problem with a LEO checking, it's a feel good thing in my opinion and will not be as big an issue as some think.
If you are not doing anything wrong...what does it matter? Show proof and move on, it's really that easy.
We come back in 2 years and get it removed.
Last edited by safety1 on Mon May 18, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

@chucklindell · 16m 16 minutes ago

@jamigigliotti @statesman Senate committee substitute will not include campus carry. If it gets added, will have to be on the floor. #txlege

(Personally I'm more for Campus Carry and MORE PLACES than Open carry, but ...whatever it takes, ...
the Mo the Bettah) I only Open carry in my Yard and at BBQs, hence the BBQ gun .. :mrgreen:

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

safety1 wrote:If you are not doing anything wrong...what does it matter?
Let's get rid of the 4th Amendment then. If you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't mind the police searching your car or home. Better yet, let's get rid of the right to an attorney. If you're innocent, you don't need one. :patriot:

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

arthurcw wrote:So, "Don't go to Austin and OC." Basically.
If you have a valid CHL and are doing nothing wrong....What does it matter?
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Aggie_engr »

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Remember Chuck Lindell is the same Chuck who previously declared that campus carry was going to be attached to open carry in an attempt to progress the bill when in fact it was completely false. Let's pause the discussion now before it ends up spreading wrong information and confusing people who are only able to stay informed by reading tidbits of updates.

I'm not sure if ol Chuck is trying to rally those in opposition or proponents by putting out these false stories. Maybe his intent is to see what kind of response it generates on here and elsewhere?

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by steveincowtown »

safety1 wrote: If you are not doing anything wrong...what does it matter? Show proof and move on, it's really that easy.
We come back in 2 years and get it removed.
Because freedom. :txflag:

I was at Crawfish boil a few weeks ago and a younger guy was saying the same thing. I told him that I was going to ask to see his ID every time I ran into him at the party, but ONLY if he had a beer in his hand. After about the 10th time having his ID "checked" he understood my point.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”