HB 554 On Senate State Affairs Calendar

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 1

HB 554 On Senate State Affairs Calendar

Post by K5GU »

On the calendar for public hearing on 5-21 (Thursday 9 am). This is Rep. Springer's bill that amends the Penal Code to establish a defense to prosecution for possessing or going with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or certain prohibited weapon into a secured area of an airport if the actor is licensed to carry and exited the area immediately upon notification, and prohibits a peace officer from arresting the actor unless the officer advises and gives the actor an opportunity to exit the secured area and the actor does not immediately exit the checkpoint.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 109001.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is good.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 554 On Senate State Affairs Calendar

Post by LSUTiger »

I hope it passes, how many times do you hear of someone forgetting something in a range bag and getting into trouble for it. Honest mistakes happen. If something slips through undetected this proposed change would not affect that anyway.

Personally, I keep my range bags separate from my travel bags so no unexpected surprises.

Stuff happens.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TVGuy »

Am I mistaken, I thought the secured area of a commercial airport was federal. Can the state even enforce this at all?

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NotRPB »

"Municipal" airport
Usually city owned property.
Example:
City of Burnet City Council meets at the airport.
http://www.cityofburnet.com/public_info ... ouncil.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Council Chambers - 2402 S. Water (Hwy. 281 South) in the Highland Lakes Squadron building.... at the airport

NOTE:
"SECURED AREA?"
THERE IS A FENCE AROUND THE WHOLE AIRPORT, TO KEEP OUT DEER I THINK...
NO METAL DETECTOR in the Highland Lakes Squadron building..
NO 30.06 POSTING AT CITY COUNCIL MEETING ...in the Highland Lakes Squadron building..
Last edited by NotRPB on Tue May 19, 2015 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

NotRPB wrote:"Municipal" airport
Example:
http://www.cityofburnet.com/public_info ... ouncil.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are very rarely secured areas of municipal airports. If I own a plane, or am chartering one flying out of Addison Airport I can take my guns on the flight with me and en route to the plane.

This really only effects commercial passenger travel and the secured areas within those airports are handled by the feds.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

NotRPB wrote:"Municipal" airport
Example:
Council Chambers - 2402 S. Water (Hwy. 281 South) in the Highland Lakes Squadron building.... at the airport

NOTE:
THERE IS A FENCE AROUND THE WHOLE AIRPORT, TO KEEP OUT DEER i THINK... "SECURED AREA?"
NO METAL DETECTOR in the Highland Lakes Squadron building..
NO 30.06 POSTING AT CITY COUNCIL MEETING ...in the Highland Lakes Squadron building..
The fence does not make it a secured area in this sense.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Thanks, I guess I'll go to a city council meeting :tiphat: :mrgreen:

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

NotRPB wrote:Thanks, I guess I'll go to a city council meeting :tiphat: :mrgreen:
What exactly does that have to do with it?

joelamosobadiah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joelamosobadiah »

TVGuy wrote:Am I mistaken, I thought the secured area of a commercial airport was federal. Can the state even enforce this at all?
There are mixed jurisdictions at airports, but state/local law enforcement definitely can and does enforce this and other laws in the airport in both secured and non-secured areas.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

TVGuy wrote:
NotRPB wrote:Thanks, I guess I'll go to a city council meeting :tiphat: :mrgreen:

Guess you'd have to know Burnet, the tax appraisal office had a sign for years they'd prosecute anyone except Police carrying a gun...County Attorney agreed with the sign. sign hasd been removed now, more CHLs here than years ago, but still, . it's an educational process here
Last edited by NotRPB on Tue May 19, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

NotRPB wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Then it would be off limits during that meeting. Just as if a pro sporting event were being held on a piece of property for the day.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

TVGuy wrote:
NotRPB wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Then it would be off limits during that meeting. Just as if a pro sporting event were being held on a piece of property for the day.
"off limits during that meeting"
I respectfully disagree
Unless a recent change...Political meetings are not off limits if it is not posted with 30.06 compliant sign
Same as State Capitol hearings

However, It may be that some think it is off limits because it's at a fenced in airport.
That was my point in posting it under this thread, I thought it possibly germane >> a political meeting at an airport.
Last edited by NotRPB on Tue May 19, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

NotRPB wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
NotRPB wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
"off limits during that meeting"
I respectfully disagree
Unless a recent change...Political meetings are not off limits if it is not posted with 30.06 compliant sign
Same as State Capitol hearings

However, It may be that some think it is off limits because it's at a fenced in airport.
We're getting off topic here, but yes. That was assumed.

My point is that I can't see this bill doing anything. If you accidentally carry a handgun into a secured part of an airport and you are caught, it's the feds you have to worry about (TSA and DOJ), not state officials.

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

TVGuy wrote: We're getting off topic here, but yes. That was assumed.

My point is that I can't see this bill doing anything. If you accidentally carry a handgun into a secured part of an airport and you are caught, it's the feds you have to worry about (TSA and DOJ), not state officials.
This isn't necessarily the case. Unless there are other circumstances or intent to do harm, it is very unlikely you will be dealing with criminal charges from the federal level. Maybe a fine, but that's about it. Local law enforcement usually pursue whatever criminal charges may be pressed.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TVGuy wrote:Am I mistaken, I thought the secured area of a commercial airport was federal. Can the state even enforce this at all?
Two issues: Texas criminal law and federal civil fines. Criminal charges are always under Texas law, but TSA can/will levy a civil fine for carrying a firearms or ammo into the secured area, i.e. the terminal building past the metal detectors.

Chas.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”