Sen. Huffines is killing HB910

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sen. Huffines is killing HB910

Post by canvasbck »

nightmare69 wrote:So can police stop an OCer and make him display his CHL or not?
Yes and no. It was made clear that the amendment prohibits an investigatory stop, but still allows a consentual stop. So, they can ask, but cannot compel you to produce or detain.

ADVICE: If asked for CHL, politely provide it! If the officer insists on running serial numbers, etc. then it could be appropriate to state something along the lines of "Sir, I have been cooperative, but I no longer consent to being detained further. May I go on my way?"

We do not want a negative relationship with LE!
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Texas_Blaze »

So it is not enough to read the laws. Have to also review the record for legislative intent...
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Texas_Blaze wrote:So it is not enough to read the laws. Have to also review the record for legislative intent...
Reading it is good enough. You can't be detained against your will ("pulled over") just because you are OCing. But an officer can strike up a conversation with you just like anyone else could/would. It's basically up to you if you want to participate in the conversation. Of course if you happened to drop a gum wrapper or step off a curb a few feet before the crosswalk...all bets are off at that point. Basically anything that would allow an officer to demand an ID if you were not OCing would require you to prove you have a CHL.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Thomas Hagemeier
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

Had Huffines been the cause of HB 910 failing I would pray for his replacement next election cycle. Definitely not representing the vast majority of Texans that want it pasSED.
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 7

Post by G.A. Heath »

Xikar wrote:Had Huffines been the cause of HB 910 failing I would pray for his replacement next election cycle. Definitely not representing the vast majority of Texans that want it pasSED.
Depending on what the House does he could still have caused the bill to fail.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

The Wall
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Wall »

canvasbck wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:So can police stop an OCer and make him display his CHL or not?
Yes and no. It was made clear that the amendment prohibits an investigatory stop, but still allows a consentual stop. So, they can ask, but cannot compel you to produce or detain.

ADVICE: If asked for CHL, politely provide it! If the officer insists on running serial numbers, etc. then it could be appropriate to state something along the lines of "Sir, I have been cooperative, but I no longer consent to being detained further. May I go on my way?"

You're exactly right. We as responsible CHL holders need to prove to the anti carry folks and police that they were full of bologna.

viking1000
Posts in topic: 7

Post by viking1000 »

G.A. Heath wrote:
Xikar wrote:Had Huffines been the cause of HB 910 failing I would pray for his replacement next election cycle. Definitely not representing the vast majority of Texans that want it pasSED.
Most likely it will be worked out in the House without a floor vote, it looks like a couple of words are different.
Both amendments are basically identical.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tracker »

I got tied up last night and didn't get to listen live so I'm listening now. It's painful watching Huffines fumble. I can at least zip through it. How did ya'll manage to sit through the whole debate?

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

Tracker wrote:I got tied up last night and didn't get to listen live so I'm listening now. It's painful watching Huffines fumble. I can at least zip through it. How did ya'll manage to sit through the whole debate?
I don't know about everyone else, but a couple of Bourbons was most helpful.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

Tracker
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tracker »

Paragrouper wrote:
Tracker wrote:I got tied up last night and didn't get to listen live so I'm listening now. It's painful watching Huffines fumble. I can at least zip through it. How did ya'll manage to sit through the whole debate?
The coffee I'm having right now isn't helping :mrgreen:

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Tracker wrote:
Paragrouper wrote:
The coffee I'm having right now isn't helping :mrgreen:
It was good to see no one drank the Kool-Aid. lol

safety1
Posts in topic: 44

Post by safety1 »

G.A. Heath wrote:
the house will pass this bill
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

canvasbck wrote:

If the officer insists in running the serial numbers, doesn't that become a search?

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CrimsonSoul »

No, it's still a consensual stop as long as you are free to go. If an officer asked to run serials and you said no but he forced you too allow him to run them anyway then (imho) he would be in violation of the ammendment.
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

CrimsonSoul wrote:No, it's still a consensual stop as long as you are free to go. If an officer asked to run serials and you said no but he forced you too allow him to run them anyway then (imho) he would be in violation of the ammendment.
What serial numbers are you referring to. The gun serial. What's that going to prove. Not likely a CHL will be carrying a stolen gun. I have guns purchased from private seller so they wouldn't show up as being purchased by me or the guy I bought it from because he purchased from someone else also. I guess we are getting ahead of ourselves on this. It's still fun to think about though. :lol:

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”