SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Owens
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Post by Owens »

This is all good as a whole. We may not have gotten the big prize, but we got a good start. I think it will be easier to modify and improve it in subsequent sessions.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Post by jmra »

So, our legislature who so strongly supports property rights that they insist that businesses completely open to the public have the right to ban any type of legal gun carry are requiring private universities to participate in concealed carry in areas only accessible to university ID badged staff and students (areas closed to the general public).
I'm so confused.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 24

Post by NotRPB »

Watch for Amendments to be laid out today on 3rd reading ...mmm

I know of 1, which made me groan

A bill may be amended again on third reading, (but amendments at this stage require a two-thirds majority for adoption.) http://www.house.state.tx.us/about-us/bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully all rejected except those acceptable to Authors/Sponsors.

We aren't quite done yet folks ... Stay tuned.... Listen to Charles.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by XinTX »

mojo84 wrote:I thought it would never pass with Straus as speaker. Now I wonder if he was on board or if he was overridden by the 26 and didn't have a choice.
No. He let it pass (as he knew it would). But he allowed some poison pill amendments in before closing the barn door. Upholding the 'deal', the Senate passed HB910 with only a few words changed (which didn't significantly alter the bill). When time came to honor their end, the House drastically altered SB11 and put forward a gutted and poisoned bill. This is ALL on Strauss. He can claim he "passed the bill", but the bill he let through is a shell of what was put forth.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

The Wall
Posts in topic: 14

Post by The Wall »

The Speaker said last night before shutting down that they would be on the Local, consent, and resolutions calender today. SB 11 and HB 910 aren't on it. All Senate bills.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Taypo »

jmra wrote:So, our legislature who so strongly supports property rights that they insist that businesses completely open to the public have the right to ban any type of legal gun carry are requiring private universities to participate in concealed carry in areas only accessible to university ID badged staff and students (areas closed to the general public).
I'm so confused.
:iagree:

What he said.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 24

Post by NotRPB »

Local, consent, and resolutions calender may not take all that long.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by XinTX »

jmra wrote:So, our legislature who so strongly supports property rights that they insist that businesses completely open to the public have the right to ban any type of legal gun carry are requiring private universities to participate in concealed carry in areas only accessible to university ID badged staff and students (areas closed to the general public).
I'm so confused.
This is the poison pill.

But I've been reading through the amendments and I don't see this. But IANAL, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Unless it's in those bits where it changes some language and instead refers to the TX Code.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

safety1
Posts in topic: 27

Post by safety1 »

NotRPB wrote:Watch for Amendments to be laid out today on 3rd reading ...mmm

A bill may be amended again on third reading, (but amendments at this stage require a two-thirds majority for adoption.) http://www.house.state.tx.us/about-us/bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could it be amended to remove the "poison pill" concerning private campuses?
I'd take the gutted version and call it progress, plus it might have a better chance for the Senate to concur.
With a few good years of successful campus carry under our belt we could relax the "restrictive portions" in the future.
Last edited by safety1 on Wed May 27, 2015 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott Farkus »

I'm so confused.
This. I had a long post a few months back wondering why we allow commercial businesses to exclude licensed CHL holders, in light of all the other property "rights" they already give up. So I'm not averse to the concept, just wonder if this is the best place to start the implementation.

If we're going to go down this path with private colleges, tie it to acceptance of state funding.

That said, it's a poison pill that a super majority should have never been forced into accepting.

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 29

Post by jerry_r60 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:For those curious:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stickland is on there, yall... Just sayin.
Yes, and I didn't hear him yesterday shooting us in the foot so i'll give him credit for that. It will be nice if he learns from this session and gets better.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

XinTX wrote:
I'm so confused.
This is the poison pill.

But I've been reading through the amendments and I don't see this. But IANAL, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Unless it's in those bits where it changes some language and instead refers to the TX Code.
It's in amendment one. The amendment removed language so you have to go back to the original bill and see the text that is removed by the amendment.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

I'm guessing the 2/3 vote requirement will hold off bad amendments however are we once again up against a clock that can be run out with endless amendments?

Glockster
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Glockster »

Color me confused...I thought that it has passed, which would mean after third reading? Is it still due for the third reading, or did it pass???
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

safety1
Posts in topic: 27

Post by safety1 »

jerry_r60 wrote:

I'm guessing the 2/3 vote requirement will hold off bad amendments however are we once again up against a clock that can be run out with endless amendments?
If so we go "nuclear option" again...worked last night!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”