Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Re: SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Post by jmra »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:For those curious:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stickland is on there, yall... Just sayin.
Think he'll claim it as his idea?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Rick Harris
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rick Harris »

John Sharpe , Chancellor at A&M has gone on record as neither opposing or endorsing Campus Carry. His position all along has been that " he expects students that hold CHLs to continue to use the same good judgement on campus as they do on campus".

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 19

Post by v7a »

Texas House passes campus carry bill
Another House amendment would mandate private universities also implement the legislation

Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, D-San Antonio, who tried to kill the bill through a number of procedural maneuvers, said he believes there was still a good chance to defeat the legislation.

"This is not over 'til it's over. The notion that we could take an entire day and fight campus carry until 11:35, 11:40 at night, it's a significant accomplishment, to know there are negotiated changes to make this proposition much more difficult to become a legislative reality," Martinez Fischer said.

The bill now heads back to the Senate, which is not expected to agree with the changes made to its legislation. This would push the bill to a conference committee to iron out the chambers' differences, where opponents of the legislation expect there could be deadlock.

If a majority of the conference committee members from both chambers cannot come to an agreement on the bill, it will not become law.
The bolded part is what Charles was referring to earlier (that will cause problems in the Senate).

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Jasonw560 »

koine2002 wrote:I see Canales in his 4th amendment wanted to exclude UT-RGV (a merger between UT-Pan Am and UT-Brownsville). FYI, the mascot is the Vaqueros. I live in Dallas but am from the RGV. I think well less than 1% have even applied for CHLs, and folks, in general, are scared of the idea. The usual response to a suggestion of carrying firearm in public is usually, "Why?" A lot of men have pulled out the machismo (when I suggest getting licensed), "Only wimps carry guns". I always fear being pulled over when I visit as the LEOs, to no fault of their own, aren't well experienced with CHL holders. He put that forward for his base.

As someone raised in the Valley, watching Canales, Rodriguez, Lucio, and Hinojosa dealing with the 2A bills has been very painful.

On a related note, the FBI has opened a corruption investigation into Valley politics and government. As one from there, when it's done, in my opinion, it'll rival what's happened in New Jersey and Illinois in recent years. There's an article about it at http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/a ... 951632.php.
I was raised in the Valley, so I know where you're coming from. Had to move back some time ago. However, I do know quite a few guys who eschew the whole "machismo" thing and would gladly carry.

Quite a bit of it, from what I have found, is the disproportionately high number of "Low information voters" here. Thankfully, they are pulling their heads out of the sand.

And, I know the FBI is in Raymondville (where I grew up) right now. Just waiting to see what comes of it. And every time Lucio or Hinojosa come up to speak on 2A issues, I cringe.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Jasonw560 »

Rick Harris wrote:John Sharpe , Chancellor at A&M has gone on record as neither opposing or endorsing Campus Carry. His position all along has been that " he expects students that hold CHLs to continue to use the same good judgement on campus as they do on campus".
Former Senator Robert Duncan, now chancellor of Texas Tech, testified "on" the bill, which is like the same thing.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

sig-sog

Post by sig-sog »

Salty1 wrote:
sig-sog wrote:So let's say a student has a class in bldg 1 where carry is allowed. Then let's say their next class is in bldg 2 does not allow carry. Does the student have to go to their car to store the handgun? And then go back to get it for class in bldg 3 where it is again allowed. This is ridiculous.
Sometimes we have to take baby steps to get pro-gun Bills passed and we never get everything we wanted. If we can get the Bill finalized and signed into law then we can work on tweaking it in future sessions. Something typically is better than nothing. If you look back at the CHL Legislation the current laws are very different than the original Bill that was passed....... What we might have is better than it looked at 11:45 pm
Good point. Still, I don't see why it couldn't have passed without that amendment. But we got a win and apparently used the nuclear option to bring it home. What's next.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 19

Post by v7a »

Dizzying moves by Texas House Dems endanger ‘campus carry,’ abortion measures
Several Republicans said that after the initial slowdown, Speaker Joe Straus intervened in the early afternoon, to get things moving. There were conflicting accounts, though, of precisely how Straus, a San Antonio Republican, did so.

House Republican Caucus Chairman Tan Parker of Flower Mound said that in conversations with individual Democrats, “the speaker was firm that he would use everything,” meaning parliamentary “nuclear options,” to shut down debate and force votes.

Straus, though, was coy.

“I didn’t talk to Democrats,” Straus told a reporter. “But I intend to get through this,” he added, referring to the House’s agenda.

One consideration may have been that the campus carry bill is part of a grand bargain on tax cuts, border security, guns and ethics. The deal may allow lawmakers to finish their work Monday, as scheduled, instead of having a special session.

As passed by the Senate, the campus carry measure would allow the licensed concealed carrying of handguns in most public university buildings. There were rumblings the House might restore a campus-by-campus opt-in provision, as it did two years ago, or let the measure die when the clock struck midnight.

Whether Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and his GOP allies in the Senate would consider that a breach of the grand bargain remained unclear.

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 24

Post by txyaloo »

I'm guessing they used this House rule.
Section 10. Motion to Limit Amendments —
(a) A motion to limit amendments shall be admitted only when seconded by 25 members. The motion may take either of two forms:
(1) to limit amendments to those pending before the house; or
(2) to limit amendments to those pending on the speaker’s desk.

[...]

As in all other propositions, a motion to limit amendments shall be decided by a record vote if demanded by any member. If ordered by a majority of the members voting, a quorum being present, the motion shall have the effect of confining further debate and consideration to those amendments included within the motion, and thereafter the chair will accept no more amendments to the proposition to which the motion is applied.

This is from the Austin American Statesman:
After the vote, Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, D-San Antonio, said Democrats voluntarily pulled down their amendments after winning a key concession with an approved amendment allowing colleges and universities to have limited authority on banning guns in certain campus areas.

In addition, he said, Republicans were prepared to employ a rarely used maneuver to cut off debate with a motion that had already lined up agreement from the required 25 House members.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ScooterSissy »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:

Stickland is on there, yall... Just sayin.
So, rather than going out and getting a "cheeseburger", he was actually doing something that helped? Interesting... to say the least.

And my understanding is that he didn't really like the watered-down version, but from this, it looks as if he was willing to do something to get a "dead bill" moving along...

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

The two amendments I really don't like. The opt out bit will guarantee that pretty much every university will opt out of as many areas as possible, if not more. And a 2/3 vote by the Regents is only a rubber stamp. Those folks are overwhelmingly opposed to any exercise of 2A rights. Many campuses will go well over the line and dare anyone to stop them. It guts the bill.

The applicability to private universities MUST be stripped. It's the poison pill that Strauss let the Dems get in there. If passed as is, I'm sure it will result in some immediate legal challenges (which is the desired result) from the private universities.

But this is just a double cross by Strauss. Yes, he can claim he held up his end of the bargain and passed CC. But the bill is now both gutted, and contains the seeds of its own demise.

I'd like to see a roll call of the votes on the amendments.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Wow. Thanks to those who stayed up providing the midnight play by play.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

hovercat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hovercat »

So now we are all happy that the bill was saved, with some questionable amendments, instead of asking why a clean bill was not passed when it would have been routine.
I am happy the bill is not dead, but it seems like political cover. Keep CHL owners from being angry, and give Universities something they want.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Glockster »

Amazing or unbelievable.... :shock:
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Beiruty »

koine2002 wrote:I see Canales in his 4th amendment wanted to exclude UT-RGV (a merger between UT-Pan Am and UT-Brownsville). FYI, the mascot is the Vaqueros. I live in Dallas but am from the RGV. I think well less than 1% have even applied for CHLs, and folks, in general, are scared of the idea. The usual response to a suggestion of carrying firearm in public is usually, "Why?" A lot of men have pulled out the machismo (when I suggest getting licensed), "Only wimps carry guns". I always fear being pulled over when I visit as the LEOs, to no fault of their own, aren't well experienced with CHL holders. He put that forward for his base.

As someone raised in the Valley, watching Canales, Rodriguez, Lucio, and Hinojosa dealing with the 2A bills has been very painful.

On a related note, the FBI has opened a corruption investigation into Valley politics and government. As one from there, when it's done, in my opinion, it'll rival what's happened in New Jersey and Illinois in recent years. There's an article about it at http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/a ... 951632.php.
"Only wimps carry guns?", but one day a wimpy criminal would shoot dead a hulk and run away while giggling.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 21

Post by mojo84 »

I thought it would never pass with Straus as speaker. Now I wonder if he was on board or if he was overridden by the 26 and didn't have a choice.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”