Post by arthurcw »

Actually, I think they've given up.

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 15

Re: House 5/27 - HB910 or SB11

Post by Aggie_engr »

K5GU wrote:
Aggie_engr wrote:
K5GU wrote:I agree. And I was confused about the quote, "...when it came back for concurrence you voted nay to send it to conference...". Bonnen voted Nay to concur, not Nay to send it into conference. :headscratch
You're right about his vote, but the effect of voting nay to concur is to send the bill to conference. Another way you can read Rick's post is "you voted nay to concur which sent the bill to conference."
Exactly what I was trying to say. Bonnen did not vote nay to send it to conference, which is the same as saying he voted "yes" to send it to conference, eh?
I think we're saying the same thing! :thumbs2:

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mr1337 »

Senate appointed conference committee members for HB910
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 11

Post by K5GU »

Aggie_engr wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Aggie_engr wrote:
K5GU wrote:I agree. And I was confused about the quote, "...when it came back for concurrence you voted nay to send it to conference...". Bonnen voted Nay to concur, not Nay to send it into conference. :headscratch
You're right about his vote, but the effect of voting nay to concur is to send the bill to conference. Another way you can read Rick's post is "you voted nay to concur which sent the bill to conference."
Exactly what I was trying to say. Bonnen did not vote nay to send it to conference, which is the same as saying he voted "yes" to send it to conference, eh?
I think we're saying the same thing! :thumbs2:
Yep. I hope we didn't confuse anyone. By looking at some of the votes on the floor, I think those members are confused when they vote.
Life is good.

joe817
Posts in topic: 5

Post by joe817 »

mr1337 wrote:Senate appointed conference committee members for HB910
All I caught on HB910 were Estes & Huffines.

They also selected conference committee members for SB11. I only remember Birdwell & Huffman. :???:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Aggie_engr »

Well there goes both hopes sent to the chopping block. I won't say I've lost all faith as I don't give up until the very end but that last thread of what's left is wearing thin.

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 16

Post by sugar land dave »

Turboblaster wrote:I hope that I am not speaking out of turn and I am not trying to inflame matters further. Our numbers may be small, but it was just a few people who organized the "Swift Boat" attacks on John Kerry during his presidential run. It is my personal belief that we should push to lower the NRA rating of every lawmaker who changed his vote on HB 910. I also think that we should arrange Swift boat style oppositions to them in their next election cycle.
Respectfully, I think it is a little early for such talk. Let's let the dance end first, shall we?
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 4

Post by J.R.@A&M »

joe817 wrote:

They also selected conference committee members for SB11. I only remember Birdwell & Huffman. :???:
SB11 was Birdwell, Huffman, Schwertner, and Hinojosa . Huffman, as we know, is chair of the relevant committee for this legislation and a CHL supporter. Schwertner represents TAMU and is a CHL supporter. Hinojosa has a previous history of support forsecond amendment issues, although not that I recall for campus carry.

Edited to add Burton.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 11

Post by K5GU »

My logic section of the brain tells me a conference on HB 910 addressing one small (and unnecessary) amendment wouldn't take very long to complete.
Life is good.

harrycallahan
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by harrycallahan »

ScooterSissy wrote:
v7a wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
v7a wrote:Presumably Republicans will be passing universal background checks next session. Because not to do so would be a slap in the face of law enforcement. :roll:
Now that's really helpful. Sincerely, thank you so much.
Deferring to the wishes of law enforcement is the cause of many of California's anti-gun laws (which passed with LEO support after LEO were exempted from the laws, such as the "Safe Handgun Roster" and ban on >10rd magazines). I'm simply suggesting it's not a good idea for Texas Republicans to be so willing to defer to law enforcement.
I'm not a big fan of Dutton, but he said one thing very well, extremely well - The 4th amendment was not passed to protect the police, it was passed to protect the people.
:iagree:
Additionally, he articulated everything very well and brought a heartfelt passion to his argument. He believes what he is saying, but I don't think his amendment was germane to HB 910 because what he really wants is a strict measure to limit profiling of people based on color, economic status and appearance. That issue is bigger than OC and deserves its own look.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

joe817
Posts in topic: 5

Post by joe817 »

Will the 2 conference committees be televised?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mr1337 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
joe817 wrote:

SB11 was Birdwell, Huffman, Schwertner, and Hinojosa . Huffman, as we know, is chair of the relevant committee for this legislation and a CHL supporter. Schwertner represents TAMU and is a CHL supporter. Hinojosa has a previous history of support forsecond amendment issues, although not that I recall for campus carry.

Edited to add Burton.
I went back to the record and found that Hinojosa voted against SB11

http://www.journals.senate.state.tx.us/ ... PDF#page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, we only need 3 out of 5 votes for each chamber.

Our aces: Birdwell, Huffman, Schwertner

Did you happen to catch the name of the last committee member?

Also, is SB11 now also in danger of being filibustered by Ellis & West?
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

viking1000
Posts in topic: 1

Post by viking1000 »

So is this a joint deal with all 10 members sitting down at the same table ????
Is it closed door ?
Just asking.......

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 4

Post by J.R.@A&M »

mr1337 wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:
joe817 wrote:

Edited to add Burton.
I went back to the record and found that Hinojosa voted against SB11

http://www.journals.senate.state.tx.us/ ... PDF#page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, we only need 3 out of 5 votes for each chamber.

Our aces: Birdwell, Huffman, Schwertner

Did you happen to catch the name of the last committee member?

Also, is SB11 now also in danger of being filibustered by Ellis & West?
Burton.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”