Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Gov. Abbott on constitutional carry

Post by v7a »

From this Texas Monthly interview:
Journalist: There was also talk among some members of so-called constitutional carry. Is that something you would be comfortable with?

Gov. Abbott: What I said is that I would sign the most pro–Second Amendment bill that reached my desk. And that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Journalist: So the door is open for that in the future?

Gov. Abbott: I am very pro Second Amendment. And the Second Amendment has the end phrase “shall not be infringed,” and I’m a strict constitutionalist.

juno106

Re: Gov. Abbott on constitutional carry

Post by juno106 »

All the more reason it is imperative to do some RINO hunting before the next session.

Get rid of them in the primaries...

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Wait few years and the law would be "enhanced" once people realize that CC and OC is a none issue, things would advance. The only thing that I do not like and I am against is convicted felons and gang members would carry with no penalty or at least no questions asked. I know that they do now. They will open carry if they want to and if they do carry concealed and they were pulled over how the LEO can decide if they are felons with firearms?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Beiruty wrote:Wait few years and the law would be "enhanced" once people realize that CC and OC is a none issue, things would advance. The only thing that I do not like and I am against is convicted felons and gang members would carry with no penalty or at least no questions asked. I know that they do now. They will open carry if they want to and if they do carry concealed and they were pulled over how the LEO can decide if they are felons with firearms?
Unfortunately, just like this last go 'round, there will be plenty of noisy idiots claiming that CC and OC really kills lots of people every year and never prevents any crimes.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Beiruty wrote:Wait few years and the law would be "enhanced" once people realize that CC and OC is a none issue, things would advance. The only thing that I do not like and I am against is convicted felons and gang members would carry with no penalty or at least no questions asked. I know that they do now. They will open carry if they want to and if they do carry concealed and they were pulled over how the LEO can decide if they are felons with firearms?
Of course, felons aren't supposed to have firearms in the first place, though we both know they don't pay attention to that. But, if we were to get unlicensed open carry, the legislature should reiterate that convicted felons, members of criminal gangs, and whatever other specified nasty types are barred from carrying firearms. Seems redundant, or even useless perhaps, but could still be used to help enhance other charges later, as well as to clarify the legislature's intentions.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

Has there been an issue with felons in other states OCing? If so, please provide a link because I sure haven't heard about it. I don't run with the criminal crowd but I'm pretty sure the last thing they want to do is draw unwanted attention by OCing. Making unfounded predictions of what criminals might do is not helpful to our cause.
How do police officers decide if criminals carrying concealed now are criminals? I don't understand how that has anything to do with CHL or OC laws.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

I don't think gang members OC in any unlicensed OC state, and I don't expect Texas to be any different.

Those people are not going to want the extra attention from cops. They will continue to conceal.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TXBO »

Unlicensed OC and licensed CC is a good next step. Criminals just don't open carry or use holsters.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

TXBO wrote:Unlicensed OC and licensed CC is a good next step. Criminals just don't open carry or use holsters.
Reducing prohibited places for CHL is the most important next step. Unlicensed OC is a pipe dream.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jmra

Post by jmra »

mr1337 wrote:
I don't think gang members OC in any unlicensed OC state, and I don't expect Texas to be any different.

Those people are not going to want the extra attention from cops. They will continue to conceal.
Gang members don't OC in unlicensed OC states because OC in those states is so rare its a statistical non-event. OCing would make them stand out like a sore thumb.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

anygunanywhere wrote:
TXBO wrote:Unlicensed OC and licensed CC is a good next step. Criminals just don't open carry or use holsters.
Reducing prohibited places for CHL is the most important next step. Unlicensed OC is a pipe dream.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

jmra wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
:iagree:
-Ruark

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I do not agree that the unlicensed OC is a pipe dream, but I certainly agree that our highest priority now should be no prohibited places for CHL by law.
Steve Rothstein

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

My current thoughts are that reduced/no off limits locations for license holders should be the next big push, along with improving Campus Carry. Once we get that pushed through we can concentrate on other issues, including but not limited to unlicensed carry. I will say that unlicensed carry is more than likely dead already because OCT has chosen to ratchet up the rhetoric and the LEO encounters. The sad truth of the matter is that to pass unlicensed carry we will need a plan and we will need activist to tear down the stereotypes the anti's have created and not re-enforce them. The two biggest stereotypes we need to fight are the rifle toting Elmer Fudd redneck lost in the big city and the anti-government revolutionary. LEO bating and giving Bloomberg's media video/soundbytes/quotes that help the anti-gun cause is not going to advance the cause. Now if someone will whack Grisham and company over the head with a clue stick we might make some progress.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Trust me when I say that an experienced LEO can tell the difference between a CHL holder and a felon most of the time just from body language and the look in the person's eyes when he spots the officer. There are also many reasons to stop someone other than for open carry and bad guys tend to be pretty sloppy about not crossing lines. LEO's figure those things out pretty successfully today, and open carry won't diminish their ability to do so.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”