OPEN CARRY COUNTDOWN-

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Re: OPEN CARRY COUNTDOWN-

Post by The Wall »

Just got a new thumb break holster for my Springfield EMP. The holster I had for it (Galco) the thumb break would hit on the slide safety causing it to disengage. Not likely to be a problem but I just didn't feel comfortable with that. Would still have to make the grip safety and pull the trigger but still not a good thing.
The new one is a DeSantis Mini Slide, and is a much better holster. The thumb break is wide enough and is blocked from moving by the cocked hammer. Just thought I'd mention this potential issue for others to look at when getting a thumb break holster. Make sure it says for cocked and locked in the holster description if you are ordering online.

Topic author
big454
Posts in topic: 39

Post by big454 »

The Wall wrote:Just got a new thumb break holster for my Springfield EMP. The holster I had for it (Galco) the thumb break would hit on the slide safety causing it to disengage. Not likely to be a problem but I just didn't feel comfortable with that. Would still have to make the grip safety and pull the trigger but still not a good thing.
The new one is a DeSantis Mini Slide, and is a much better holster. The thumb break is wide enough and is blocked from moving by the cocked hammer. Just thought I'd mention this potential issue for others to look at when getting a thumb break holster. Make sure it says for cocked and locked in the holster description if you are ordering online.
Congrats on the new holster! And thank you for the heads up.
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

Topic author
big454

Post by big454 »

One hundred and ninety two days until open carry is legal. :txflag: :thewave
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

Topic author
big454

Post by big454 »

191 more 2 go. :anamatedbanana

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I didn't wait for y'all. I open carried this weekend from Dallas all the way to Brighton, UT. Used a combination of the "traveling" exemption and a route through free states. I do have to report that I sat on a rock while out for a hike at my end destination and scuffed up holster.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Ruark »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:I didn't wait for y'all. I open carried this weekend from Dallas all the way to Brighton, UT. Used a combination of the "traveling" exemption and a route through free states. I do have to report that I sat on a rock while out for a hike at my end destination and scuffed up holster.
You broke the law. A firearm carried in your car (with or without a CHL) must be concealed. Lucky you weren't pulled over, or you wouldn't be sitting there typing that.
-Ruark

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 61

Post by Beiruty »

Ruark wrote:
AlaskanInTexas wrote:I didn't wait for y'all. I open carried this weekend from Dallas all the way to Brighton, UT. Used a combination of the "traveling" exemption and a route through free states. I do have to report that I sat on a rock while out for a hike at my end destination and scuffed up holster.
You broke the law. A firearm carried in your car (with or without a CHL) must be concealed. Lucky you weren't pulled over, or you wouldn't be sitting there typing that.
Nope, he can open carry while traveling. It is the law or more specifically, it is an exception to apply the law.
Supportive evidence: Section 46.15 (b)(2).

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to:
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(2) is traveling;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmra
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jmra »

Beiruty wrote:
Ruark wrote:
Nope, he can open carry while traveling. It is the law or more specifically, it is an exception to apply the law.

(2) is traveling;
My concern would be the very likely probability that an officer making a stop would not be aware of that law and once he saw the gun in the open would not likely be in a mood to listen to me explain the law. Think I'll keep mine concealed.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

jmra wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Ruark wrote:

(2) is traveling;
My concern would be the very likely probability that an officer making a stop would not be aware of that law and once he saw the gun in the open would not likely be in a mood to listen to me explain the law. Think I'll keep mine concealed.
Additionally there is the issue that there is little to no modern case law, if any, on the definition of travelling. The judge/jury may decide that any distance that is great enough that one might prefer to use transportation is travelling OR that one must be crossing the state line, or some obscure/arcane definition where someone has no protection under the travelling exemption.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I open carried today at Walmart...just sayin.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CoffeeNut »

nightmare69 wrote:I open carried today at Walmart...just sayin.
Stop rubbing your LEO privilege in our face! :biggrinjester:
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

G.A. Heath wrote:
jmra wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Ruark wrote:

(2) is traveling;
Additionally there is the issue that there is little to no modern case law, if any, on the definition of travelling. The judge/jury may decide that any distance that is great enough that one might prefer to use transportation is travelling OR that one must be crossing the state line, or some obscure/arcane definition where someone has no protection under the travelling exemption.
For what it's worth, carrying a 1911 on the hip for 1200 miles is not that comfortable, so I would take it off in the minivan and put it in the console. If I were pulled over, I would have left it there. As for the concern about applicability of the traveling exemption, I have thoroughly researched the law and am completely confident that it applies when you drive 1,200 miles through four states without any interruption except for gas stations. It's my right; I don't mind taking a ride to defend it either. Plus, I only had one stop in Texas before entering the free states.

Topic author
big454

Post by big454 »

189 days until
open carry :yawn

Topic author
big454

Post by big454 »

187 Days left :cool:

Topic author
big454

Post by big454 »

185 Days left to open carry. I'm making alterations to an old holster, see how it turns out. ;-)

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”