TX: CHL not charged by grand jury in death of catalytic burglar

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

TX: CHL not charged by grand jury in death of catalytic burglar

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/grand-jury-decli ... 06205.html

Didn’t call police. Policed his casings.

Archery1

Re: TX: CHL not charged by grand jury in death of catalytic burglar

Post by Archery1 »

Someone had posted this on our neighborhood group. Jones Rd. and 290 Area. I watch more where I park now.

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

Had I seen that happening I would have throw a brick into his windshield. Man that grinds my gears

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I have zero sympathy for the deceased thief. However, the LTC holder got lucky, IMO. Not calling police, and picking up his brass after the incident? Not the way to do things, at all, and not what I was taught in CHL class.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 am I have zero sympathy for the deceased thief. However, the LTC holder got lucky, IMO. Not calling police, and picking up his brass after the incident? Not the way to do things, at all, and not what I was taught in CHL class.
Agreed. Defender caught a break. Not being indicted is not the same as a "not guilty" verdict.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ELB

Post by ELB »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:39 am Agreed. Defender caught a break. Not being indicted is not the same as a "not guilty" verdict.
It's much better, actually, says a) either there's no crime here or there's not enough to go to trial with, and b) avoids the cost and agony of a trial. A not-guilty verdict is very expensive. I would take a no-bill any day. He sort of got a "jury nullification" by the GJ.
USAF 1982-2005

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

ELB wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:22 pm
oljames3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:39 am Agreed. Defender caught a break. Not being indicted is not the same as a "not guilty" verdict.
It's much better, actually, says a) either there's no crime here or there's not enough to go to trial with, and b) avoids the cost and agony of a trial. A not-guilty verdict is very expensive. I would take a no-bill any day. He sort of got a "jury nullification" by the GJ.
He is still at jeopardy to be charged again as double jeopardy has not attached.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:11 pm
He is still at jeopardy to be charged again as double jeopardy has not attached.
Bingo! While no-bill MAY potentially eliminate the headache of a lengthy and likely costly court case, a not-guilty verdict means that it's done and over with.
IANAL
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:15 pm
oljames3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:11 pm
Bingo! While no-bill MAY potentially eliminate the headache of a lengthy and likely costly court case, a not-guilty verdict means that it's done and over with.
IANAL
You are right. The DA can bring it to the grand jury on a no bill. I think they would only do that if he starts shooting off his mouth and says something that makes the DA think there is reason to charge him. Maybe if he blasts another crook in the next few months.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Anybody who gets a no-bill is at jeopardy if further information comes up, or if the DA empanels a new grand jury and convinces them to indict. Even so a no-bill is still better than throwing the dice on a trial.

So far it's still true that Texas people do not like thieves and the GJ just said that.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”