TX: Road-raging gun-toting motorcyclist shot by SUV driver

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: Road-raging gun-toting motorcyclist shot by SUV driver

Post by oljames3 »

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2021 ... nse-n47233
A road rage incident that began with a motorcyclist stopping his bike on a busy interstate ended up with the 19-year old being shot and killed by an armed driver, and now the Fort Worth, Texas police are officially calling the shooting an act of self-defense.
After investigating, Fort Worth police say Gray caused the shooting that killed him. Police say he was traveling in between lanes, which is illegal in the state of Texas.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:57 pm
ajwakeboarder wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:06 am
RottenApple wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:45 pm According to reports, he wasn't just weaving in and out of traffic, he was also lane splitting which is highly illegal in Texas.
Yes and no. There is no law which specifically mentions lane splitting in Texas. The only law that comes close states that a vehicle must stay in it's own lane. Technically there is a lot of gray area there. In the summertime, air cooled motorcycles and some water cooled motorcycles will overheat if stuck in traffic. The only solution is to lane split or drive up the shoulder. I've personally done it past a motorcycle officer and he didn't hassle me about it.
Wasn't a bill introduced in the 2019 Texas Legislative Session to make lane splitting legal in Texas? If so, it didn't pass.

Chas.
one is presented most every session. I don't remember seeing one this session, but I was following a bunch of other bills, I may have missed it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:46 pm
ajwakeboarder wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:06 am
RottenApple wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:45 pm According to reports, he wasn't just weaving in and out of traffic, he was also lane splitting which is highly illegal in Texas.
Yes and no. There is no law which specifically mentions lane splitting in Texas. The only law that comes close states that a vehicle must stay in it's own lane. Technically there is a lot of gray area there. In the summertime, air cooled motorcycles and some water cooled motorcycles will overheat if stuck in traffic. The only solution is to lane split or drive up the shoulder. I've personally done it past a motorcycle officer and he didn't hassle me about it.
I've ridden air-cooled Hondas and BMWs all over the Texas south and southwest without over heating. If your bike is over heating, you need a better machine.

Both Texas Transportation code 545.060 and 545.401 seem to apply. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs ... TN.545.htm

Texas lawyers explain lane splitting.
https://www.fibichlaw.com/blog/is-lane- ... s-in-2020/

https://www.houstoncaraccidentlawyers.o ... -in-texas/

https://www.mcminnlaw.com/texas-motorcy ... splitting/

https://whocanisue.com/is-lane-splittin ... -in-texas/
Same here. I have a Harley and have spent many a miserable moment sitting in traffic jams burning up. My bike never once "overheated". I have ridden it all over the country and legal or not, lane splitting never crossed my mind. There are far to many ways to meet ones demise on a motorcycle without adding another one to them.

I am glad this worked out in the right way. Road rage or not, any idiot who would get out of or off of their vehicle and approach someone while holding a gun is dangerous at best. I am actually a bit satisfied knowing he has been removed from the gene pool.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Did anyone notice that the motorcyclist was only 19 and so shouldn't have been legally carrying a concealed handgun?

extremist

Post by extremist »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:25 am Did anyone notice that the motorcyclist was only 19 and so shouldn't have been legally carrying a concealed handgun?
Well, technically he should have been able to carry it under the "Motorist's Protection Act", but once he got off his Motorcycle, he was illegal. It was no longer his "vehicle" and he can't walk around with it.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

extremist wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:36 am Well, technically he should have been able to carry it under the "Motorist's Protection Act", but once he got off his Motorcycle, he was illegal. It was no longer his "vehicle" and he can't walk around with it.
I forgot about that. I guess the next thing would be if he was legally able to posses a firearm barring any criminal history.

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”