TX: Road-raging gun-toting motorcyclist shot by SUV driver

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

TX: Road-raging gun-toting motorcyclist shot by SUV driver

Post by ELB »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fatal-road-r ... 30813.html
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... 29613.html

Fort Worth leg of I-35.

Motorcyclist weaving in and out of traffic. Guy driving SUV with his kids onboard started changing lanes without seeing motorcyclist. Motorcyclist dodges, passes several vehicles then stops in lane blocking traffic. Motorcyclist walks back to SUV and points handgun, SUV driver tells him to put it down, he has kids in car. Motorcyclist continues to point gun at SUV, SUV driver pulls his gun and shoots motorcyclist several times. Motorcyclist helicoptered to hospital, later dies. Police recover motorcyclist's handgun, obtain witness statements. SUV driver cooperating with police, police calling it self-defense.
USAF 1982-2005

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: Road-raging gun-toting motorcyclist shot by SUV driver

Post by RottenApple »

According to reports, he wasn't just weaving in and out of traffic, he was also lane splitting which is highly illegal in Texas.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Intimidation failed.

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

RottenApple wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:45 pm According to reports, he wasn't just weaving in and out of traffic, he was also lane splitting which is highly illegal in Texas.
Yes and no. There is no law which specifically mentions lane splitting in Texas. The only law that comes close states that a vehicle must stay in it's own lane. Technically there is a lot of gray area there. In the summertime, air cooled motorcycles and some water cooled motorcycles will overheat if stuck in traffic. The only solution is to lane split or drive up the shoulder. I've personally done it past a motorcycle officer and he didn't hassle me about it.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

The absolute worst part about this story is the motorcyclist's dad's response to the situation. He posted on facebook that his son was murdered because of his skin color and that he was going to arm a group of people and get "justice". We now know where the motorcyclist got his poor decision making skills from. :banghead:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

RottenApple wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:45 pm According to reports, he wasn't just weaving in and out of traffic, he was also lane splitting which is highly illegal in Texas.
ugh, that is so dangerous! Drove through Ft. Worth last week and a guy did that to me on the highway... he was about an inch from my driver side mirror as I was driving highway speeds and he was doing 20mph+ faster. Who knows, maybe the same dude?

People like that are inevitably going to get themselves killed. Glad he didn't take anyone with him.
Last edited by Paladin on Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:33 am
ugh, that is so dangerous! Drove through Ft. Worth last week and a guy did that to me on the highway... he was about an inch from my driver side mirror as I was driving highway speeds and he was doing 20mph+ faster. Who knows, maybe the same dude?

People like that are inevitably get themselves killed. Glad he didn't take anyone with him.
Drove from Plano to Glen Rose 2 weeks ago in our Motorhome, which put us going through Fort Worth... Holy Cow Batman... Idiots everywhere....

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:06 am
Yes and no. There is no law which specifically mentions lane splitting in Texas. The only law that comes close states that a vehicle must stay in it's own lane. Technically there is a lot of gray area there. In the summertime, air cooled motorcycles and some water cooled motorcycles will overheat if stuck in traffic. The only solution is to lane split or drive up the shoulder. I've personally done it past a motorcycle officer and he didn't hassle me about it.
Lane splitting in stopped traffic is kind of like driving a car on the shoulder in stopped traffic to take the next exit. It doesn't really hurt any of the other drivers, but they will still get mad at it most of the time.

But lane splitting when traffic is moving at 30+ MPH is an entirely different situation, especially when the lane splitter is going significantly above the speed limit. Personally, this irritates me, but I try to just brush it off. That said, I also don't go to extraordinary lengths before changing lanes to make sure there are no motorcycles where they should not be (talking about the latter scenario here).

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Seems to me lane splitting is dangerous even in stopped traffic, but then it sort of makes sense, you're a big boy, you takes your chances that someone may shift suddenly, open a door, whatever. Go hither slowly and be prepared. It was legal in California, and I saw it alot, because there were a lot of traffic jams on the 405.

Lane splitting and weaving in and out in regular traffic just says to me he doesn't care about his or anyone else's safety, should be strict liability in case of bad ending.
USAF 1982-2005

cirus

Post by cirus »

Good riddance. One less mouth breather taking in oxygen.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Wasn't a bill introduced in the 2019 Texas Legislative Session to make lane splitting legal in Texas? If so, it didn't pass.

Chas.

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

The gray area here on the law is annoying. Lane splitting should be legal, but you should have rules around it (e.g. less than 20MPH, etc.). So we should pass a law in this regard. That will also make it so drivers are not so annoyed with it.

That said, this appears to be pure road rage. Probably shouldn't point guns at Texans because you were cut off. Glad the man in the car was armed. It would suck to have to rely on the stability of this motorcyclist.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

I've ridden the shoulder (which is 100% legal in Texas) plenty of times on my Harley. All of which times were in summer/hot conditions, and were under 30 mph. Most of them under 20 mph. Only once was I ever stopped by DPS, and only because he asked me to switch to the other shoulder as I was coming up on an accident.

ETA: It was August and 102 outside. I had about 2,000 degrees between my legs at a standstill. I needed to keep some airflow over my engine before I burnt the fruits and veggies.

Lane splitting is perfectly safe when under ~30mph. The issues are that most American cage pilots are unaware of the practice or what it is, and riders typically try to do it at highway speeds (FYI, even in CA, lane splitting is only legal at less than 30 mph).

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I've ridden air-cooled Hondas and BMWs all over the Texas south and southwest without over heating. If your bike is over heating, you need a better machine.

Both Texas Transportation code 545.060 and 545.401 seem to apply. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs ... TN.545.htm

Texas lawyers explain lane splitting.
https://www.fibichlaw.com/blog/is-lane- ... s-in-2020/

https://www.houstoncaraccidentlawyers.o ... -in-texas/

https://www.mcminnlaw.com/texas-motorcy ... splitting/

https://whocanisue.com/is-lane-splittin ... -in-texas/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”