Austin Incident

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Austin Incident

Post by Paladin »

Interesting write-up:

KR Training Student involved incident report March 2022
As of Sept 2021, Austin PD no longer responds to “attempted theft of property”, “burglary of vehicle”, or “suspicious person”. The full list of crimes reclassified as “non emergency” is here. Even if he had called 911, even a 3 minute response time would have been an eternity compared to his immediate response. In another recent student involved incident, where a homeless person came out of the Barton Creek Greenbelt and pounded on the student’s front door, demanding to be let in, when Austin PD was called, the trespasser was not taken into custody or even cited for the offense, even though the homeowner told the police he wanted to press charges. In that incident, the student drew his gun (on his own property) but kept it in a muzzle averted position until police arrived, holstering when the arriving officer directed him to. (The ability to holster quickly when directed to by responding officers is one of many reasons why we prefer solid kydex holsters over hybrids with leather backers that tend to flop over, covering the holster opening.)

The student in this most recent incident chose not to contact the police afterward, out of a (likely correct) assessment that at best, it would accomplish nothing, and at worst it would lead to more trouble for him than the car intruder.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961

Re: Austin Incident

Post by Tex1961 »

I guess this brings up a good debate point... Do you or should you also carry non lethal means of protection. In my current carry configuration I do not have any non lethal defense equipment. My age and health preclude me from any serious physical interactions. In other words I'd probably get my butt handed to me... :cryin So I have only two options, get out of the fight or engage using a deadly weapon.

Reading this article and putting myself in the students place, I'm not going to lie, If someone got into my car, refused to leave and then lunged at me I would not hesitate to draw and discharge my weapon. I more than feel that it would be a justified self defense. i also understand that I have no desire to kill anyone and if I could remidity the situation with less than lethal force, then better for everyone....

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:10 am I guess this brings up a good debate point... Do you or should you also carry non lethal means of protection. In my current carry configuration I do not have any non lethal defense equipment. My age and health preclude me from any serious physical interactions. In other words I'd probably get my butt handed to me... :cryin So I have only two options, get out of the fight or engage using a deadly weapon.

Reading this article and putting myself in the students place, I'm not going to lie, If someone got into my car, refused to leave and then lunged at me I would not hesitate to draw and discharge my weapon. I more than feel that it would be a justified self defense. i also understand that I have no desire to kill anyone and if I could remidity the situation with less than lethal force, then better for everyone....
I think at a minimum everyone should know how to use "The Fence". Unfortunately I don't think The Fence would have done a lot of good in this particular case. It's a tough situation having a crazy person surprise you getting in the car behind you. Locked doors are great! Someone tried to do that to my Mother-in-law in Houston. She had my 130lb Great Dane in the back seat... so problem solved!!! :cool:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:10 am I guess this brings up a good debate point... Do you or should you also carry non lethal means of protection. In my current carry configuration I do not have any non lethal defense equipment. My age and health preclude me from any serious physical interactions. In other words I'd probably get my butt handed to me... :cryin So I have only two options, get out of the fight or engage using a deadly weapon.

A few months ago, my wife and I each started carrying a POM pepper spray dispenser—https://pompepperspray.com/—for much the same reason. Price is $12.95/unit. For size comparison, here’s a picture of my POM sprayer next to 3 other items I EDC: my Jet Line lighter, my ZT 0357BW pocket folder, and my glasses.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

When discussing less than lethal options with students, I bring up pepper spray as well as a small, high intensity flashlight. Personally, I carry an ASP Palm Defender which is 4" long and gives you three bursts of spray (comes with a safety that can be taken off with the thumb of your employing hand) as well as a small 3" 120 lumen light. Each of these are about 1/2 inch across. Have both in my pocket, firearm on body, and a spare light and Palm Defender in the cup holder of the truck.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:39 pm When discussing less than lethal options with students, I bring up pepper spray as well as a small, high intensity flashlight. Personally, I carry an ASP Palm Defender which is 4" long and gives you three bursts of spray (comes with a safety that can be taken off with the thumb of your employing hand) as well as a small 3" 120 lumen light. Each of these are about 1/2 inch across. Have both in my pocket, firearm on body, and a spare light and Palm Defender in the cup holder of the truck.
I agree about flashlights. My EDC light is a Streamlight Wedge, which is clipped into my weak-side front pocket. I like that the light has plenty enough power for an EDC light, in a flat form factor that works well in the pocket.

I’m slow, so it only took me [mumble] years to realize that all of my regular on-person EDC stuff is just like my gun…if it’s too heavy, or too big, or not conveniently shaped, I’m probably not going to carry it with any degree of regularity. I have another Streamlight flashlight I like a lot, a Pro Tac HL-X tactical flashlight. It works very well, is very bright, and it would make a great "duty" flashlight. But, even though it’s not really large, it’s too big for comfortable pocket-carry and it really needs to be belt-carried because of its weight and size. So, that light lives in my EDC backpack.

I have other EDC duplicates in that bag too…an extra knife, other means of making fire, an extra pair of glasses, extra pens, etc. 3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is 0, right? So if I’m going to carry it on my person, it has to be unobtrusive, or I’ll just stop carrying it and will look to trying something else. So far, I really like this Streamlight Wedge, but I confess that I hadn’t really thought about duplicating my pepper spray.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Wow that was some incident in Austin. Never even thought about someone jumping in my car.

Homeless dude hit a friend over the back of the head with a bottle as he walked down the sidewalk after he had been at a bar or two on 6th street.

Lets say his situational awareness was not what it should have been.

Used to carry pepper spray in my car, maybe I should start again.

I figure my light is my best defense in getting off the first accurate shot in a home invasion.

howdy

Post by howdy »

If someone gets in my truck he had better get ready to meet the windshield or dashboard. An unrestrained person will FLY forward in an emergency stop at 30 miles per hour. If I can't do that, I will slam into a pole and put him through the windshield.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

howdy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:26 pm If someone gets in my truck he had better get ready to meet the windshield or dashboard. An unrestrained person will FLY forward in an emergency stop at 30 miles per hour. If I can't do that, I will slam into a pole and put him through the windshield.
22E1CF13-5D3C-4AE0-A30B-DBC7A0698014.gif

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”