Houston: Customer Kills Robber

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Houston: Customer Kills Robber

Post by Scott in Houston »

This is a link to the news report. It's interesting as the robber was clearly in the wrong. And the customer ended the threat.

The odd things are:

1). The customer didn't stick around because the police are looking for him
2). If you find the full video, which I did, the customer shoots well beyond the threat being stopped... in fact, I believe he walks over and puts in a kill shot after picking up the robber's gun. I get the adrenaline factor, but I believe he'll be charged once found although the police are saying differently right now.

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/cri ... 584738e0fa

I won't post a link to the full video, but it can be found on twitter... you'll see and hear the shots including those that appear to be well after the threat was ended.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston: Customer Kills Robber

Post by NotRPB »

MORE LINKS / REPORTS SAME INCIDENT

EVEN MADE NEWS IN AUSTRALIA
Customer shoots and kills robber holding up US restaurant

https://www.9news.com.au/world/usa-news ... cf2fcdadca

Customer shoots and kills armed robber in Houston taco shop
NBC NEWS VIDEO

NY POST
https://nypost.com/2023/01/07/customer- ... estaurant/

Customer shoots and kills armed robber in Houston taco shop
https://abc13.com/houston-robberies-cus ... /12663715/

Houston armed robbery suspect shot dead by armed customer, police looking to question shooter
Houston police want to speak to the armed customer regarding his 'role in the shooting'
https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-arme ... on-shooter

Houston robbery suspect shot to death by customer in taqueria on Gessner, police say
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/houst ... ia-gessner

HPD: Robber shot, killed by customer at taqueria in SW Houston
Police said the customer who shot the robber is wanted for questioning. He has not been charged
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 584738e0fa

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I think it strikes a chord with people fed up by criminals like this.
Surprised it's getting the run it is because many like to say that the "good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun" is a myth.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Scott in Houston wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:53 am I think it strikes a chord with people fed up by criminals like this.
Surprised it's getting the run it is because many like to say that the "good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun" is a myth.
Its getting the run that it is because its a sample of "See, The 'Good Guy With A Gun' Is really a bad guy!"
Unfortunate, but thats how the media works.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

One less repeat offender.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Serious question, can you execute a dead person? Or is that abuse of a corpse?

No ID on the robber yet. Just got out on $50 bail for prior violent crimes?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Beiruty »

JakeTheSnake wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:34 pm Serious question, can you execute a dead person? Or is that abuse of a corpse?

No ID on the robber yet. Just got out on $50 bail for prior violent crimes?
Left leaning media would not want to shed light on felon criminal. Aggravated Robbery of multiple victims is a felony with fake firearms or otherwise. Such crime would justify the use of deadly force under Texas law. The customer who shot the criminal found out that the pistol is fake and tossed to the wall. He left the scene fearing being charged with a murder.

Best if the DA/PD closes the case since it a lose-lose otherwise. However, Houston PD/DA maybe sympathetic to criminals.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

John Correia, Active Self Protection reviews this incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAx9srqTFIs
Victim Picks The Perfect Time To Turn the Tables in Houston
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Attorney Andre Branca and attorney Steve Gosney review this incident at 3pm Central.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLDOxLoFUXg
Taqueria Throwdown! Lawful or Execution?
This past Thursday night, Jan. 5, 2023, an armed and masked armed robber was plying his trade in Ranchito #4 Taqueria in Houston TX, when one of the customers decided to express his objections--in the form of nine rounds fired into the robber, unsurprisingly with fatal results. The shooter fled the scene and has not yet been identified, although authorities are looking--though they state that they have not yet decided whether to charge the shooter.

Although the initial shots fired by the shooter appear to be legally justified as defense of self, defense of others, and (uniquely under Texas law) perhaps even defense of property, the last shot fired looks more difficult to justify. At the moment that ninth shot was fired the robber was apparently unconscious on the floor and had been disarmed of the only weapon he was known to possess, when the shooter fired one last shot, apparently into the robber's head.

Fortunately for all of us, this event was captured on video, and today I conduct legal analysis and commentary on this video, in the context of Texas use-of-force law--and with special guest Attorney Steve Gosney! Join us LIVE at 4 PM ET TODAY, on the Law of Self Defense YouTube channel by clicking the image or link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLDOxLoFUXg
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bolton Strid
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bolton Strid »

Scott in Houston wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:06 pm 1). The customer didn't stick around because the police are looking for him
Beiruty wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:46 pm He left the scene fearing being charged with a murder.
Police would be looking for this guy by default. A realistic motivation for disappearing particularly around there is concern being identified and available for reprisal by a dead goblin's family, friends, fellow gang members. That's the reality of the world we live in now. The slide into a new order of Third World culture status is more accelerated in some places than others and Houston has quite the head start. Yet another thing at the top of the list of concerns for everyone to keep in mind before pulling your gun out.
Smoke Rings in the Dark

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Greater than zero possibility that the shooter was carrying illegally. Non-citizen? Felon in possession?

IIRC, you can't bring charges until you have someone to charge?

He COULD make a claim that the kill shot was not intentional. A reflex movement in the heat of the moment. That would allow the coronor to report that the bad guy was already killed by the other rounds and give prosecution way not to charge manslaughter.

Not a lawyer, just a MMQB. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oljames3 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:26 pm John Correia, Active Self Protection reviews this incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAx9srqTFIs
Victim Picks The Perfect Time To Turn the Tables in Houston
Great video! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Beiruty »

This case raised few more questions.
First, it happened in Texas.
We know, the Texas law justifies the use of deadly force in those cases.
Second, there is no higher force than deadly force.
Add to that, If I recall correctly, and please prove me wrong if otherwise, the law does not limit the actor on what deadly force or the level of force, or in this case how many rounds to shoot or when to shoot or not shoot.

This is why in Texas such case could or could not be prosecuted even if it looks "ugly"
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Beiruty wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:15 am This case raised few more questions.
Add to that, If I recall correctly, and please prove me wrong if otherwise, the law does not limit the actor on what deadly force or the level of force, or in this case how many rounds to shoot or when to shoot or not shoot.

This is why in Texas such case could or could not be prosecuted even if it looks "ugly"
He is going to be prosecuted based on the length of time between the 3rd, then the 4th 5th and 6th shots, and then the final shot.
You shoot until the threat is stopped. The threat stopped and he walked over and shot him in the back of the head.
Have you guys seen the full video?...... Its going to be a nasty court case that he will most likely lose.

Edit to add: I'm not saying what he did wasn't just or expedient, and I'm not saying he wasn't "in the right". I'm saying the the location and DA is going to chase this hard. He may get off on a lack of medical training in whether the perp was conscious or still a threat, and if a reasonable person would consider the perp still a threat based on the speed of the encounter.

That last shot may be his downfall.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:02 am
Beiruty wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:15 am This case raised few more questions.

He is going to be prosecuted based on the length of time between the 3rd, then the 4th 5th and 6th shots, and then the final shot.
You shoot until the threat is stopped. The threat stopped and he walked over and shot him in the back of the head.
Have you guys seen the full video?...... Its going to be a nasty court case that he will most likely lose.

Edit to add: I'm not saying what he did wasn't just or expedient, and I'm not saying he wasn't "in the right". I'm saying the the location and DA is going to chase this hard. He may get off on a lack of medical training in whether the perp was conscious or still a threat, and if a reasonable person would consider the perp still a threat based on the speed of the encounter.

That last shot may be his downfall.
I heard one report say that he "disarmed" the perp before that last shot. That makes it even more dangerous for the shooter, IMHO.

This case really makes me wish that I was still registered as a voter in Harris county instead of Fort Bend. Just for the chance to be on this jury if it comes to that. If there is any way for the defense attorney to get testimony from the family of the guy this criminal previously killed, that would be huge.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”