Would you shoot?

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Would you shoot?

Post by vjallen75 »

If I was with my wife and kids I would strongly consider drawing my firearm and using it. They are always my number one priority as far as safety. If I'm by myself I may be more hesitant to draw and fire, it's crazy to me at how many people stood there while this guy swung the PVC pipe. A guy across the street by the light pole stood there as the BG walked past him still seeming irate.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

Drawing your handgun on a drug crazed person will not stop the threat because people like that do not have rational thoughts. No one said that but i thought i would say that before anyone else thought that may work!

What would i do? If i was with my family and/or kids and he came after us, it would be no question.
If just me, i would take a defence position behind something while on 911. IF he came close to children or elderly i would try to take him out physically before drawing. Might sound stupid but i am swinging by the hip with an honest, no thought response!

Fire away :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I assumed it was a short piece of PVC, but that's not the case. It looked to be almost a full joint of at least 1 1/4" and since it didn't flex much, it was likely at least schedule 40 if not 80. Swinging a long PVC pipe like that could very well kill you or cause serious permanent injury, if hit in the head or neck. At may age with a questionable right knee, running away wouldn't be an option. Might have to call that one suicide by old fart.

Chas.
I'm a 64 year old, 70% disabled veteran. I'm not as good a runner as I once was, but I'm just as good a pistol shot as I ever was. For me, running from this type of attack is not an acceptable option.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

First choice would be to leave. If for some reason that wasn't an option, or he kept chasing me until I couldn't get away. Then yes I'd shoot.
NRA Benefactor Member

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

I would just wing him - or maybe shoot him in the leg - :mrgreen:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Jim Beaux wrote:I would just wing him - or maybe shoot him in the leg - :mrgreen:
Only after firing a warning shot right? :biggrinjester:
NRA Benefactor Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

One word. Simple. Mozambique.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Jago668 wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:I would just wing him - or maybe shoot him in the leg - :mrgreen:
Why not just shoot it out of his hand? :roll:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Bitter Clinger wrote:One word. Simple. Mozambique.

Five words. Simple. Don't say that in court. :biggrinjester:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Oldgringo wrote:
Jago668 wrote:
Why not just shoot it out of his hand? :roll:
Clearly the safest choice would be to shoot the cord of the Chandelier overhead so that it falls down around the attacker and pins his arms to his side.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

:mad5 Hey dadburnet you guys need to let me troll every once in a while! :banghead:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

ELB

Post by ELB »

I couldn't get the flash plug-in to play at the news site:

Various thoughts:

It looks like he had one pipe inside another. That would be pretty hefty, Sched 40 or 80. At first I thought the pipe broke in half after he hit one of the guys, but after he comes up with two pieces, one section is as long as the original pipe.

He hit two guys wearing back packs. Although both guys saw him coming, neither took ofd his backpack to use as a shield.

Just like at the Dallas airport shooting, people see what he is doing but just stand around and watch. Then seem surprised when he runs at them. :confused5
USAF 1982-2005

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Not shot, but ran away.

FCH

Post by FCH »

He was running right by some people and clearly chasing others. Wonder why he ignored the guy by the door or the guy leaning on the post to go after the guy with the backpack?
Since I am handicapped, I would of tried to call 911 with my left hand while holding my still holstered EDC by the grip. If he came at me, he would probably get one or two blows in while my EDC was clearing the holster. I truly hope I'm never in a situation like this but ...
NRA Member
TSRA Member

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

ELB wrote:Various thoughts:

It looks like he had one pipe inside another. That would be pretty hefty, Sched 40 or 80. At first I thought the pipe broke in half after he hit one of the guys, but after he comes up with two pieces, one section is as long as the original pipe.

He hit two guys wearing back packs. Although both guys saw him coming, neither took ofd his backpack to use as a shield.

Just like at the Dallas airport shooting, people see what he is doing but just stand around and watch. Then seem surprised when he runs at them. :confused5
I too wondered why people just stood there. Nobody did a thing. I feel like there are too many people out there that don't do a thing
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”