TX: San Antonio Road Rage Incident

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ElGallo
Posts in topic: 4

TX: San Antonio Road Rage Incident

Post by ElGallo »

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local ... pid=brkbar

Road rage incident turns into shoot out between 2 drivers. One of the drivers was an off duty police officer.

Topic author
ElGallo

Re: TX: San Antonio Road Rage Incident

Post by ElGallo »

The non police officer has been identified and has been arrested. It'll be interesting to find out the details of how everything went down. Maybe cameras around the area captured everything that transpired.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BBYC »

ElGallo wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 am The non police officer has been identified and has been arrested. It'll be interesting to find out the details of how everything went down. Maybe cameras around the area captured everything that transpired.
Meanwhile the police officer who got into a shootout in the parking lot of an adult establishment hasn't been identified or charged, even though "Police do not know where the argument began."
"We don't know how or why they pulled in here," McManus said standing in the lot. "They both got out of their vehicles."
It looks like video is Walker's only hope for a fair trial.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grundy1133 »

BBYC wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:40 pm
ElGallo wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 am The non police officer has been identified and has been arrested. It'll be interesting to find out the details of how everything went down. Maybe cameras around the area captured everything that transpired.
Meanwhile the police officer who got into a shootout in the parking lot of an adult establishment hasn't been identified or charged, even though "Police do not know where the argument began."
"We don't know how or why they pulled in here," McManus said standing in the lot. "They both got out of their vehicles."
whoa whoa whoa.... they were BOTH involved in the shoot out but only the non officer was arrested? Who's to say the officer didn't shoot first? I'm all about law enforcement but LEOs are just human. they have tempers. they make bad decisions just like us civilians... I think they should have taken them both in and suspended the officer with pay pending investigation... Like I said, who's to say he didn't shoot first?
NRA Member

Allons

Post by Allons »

Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:43 pm
whoa whoa whoa.... they were BOTH involved in the shoot out but only the non officer was arrested? Who's to say the officer didn't shoot first? I'm all about law enforcement but LEOs are just human. they have tempers. they make bad decisions just like us civilians... I think they should have taken them both in and suspended the officer with pay pending investigation... Like I said, who's to say he didn't shoot first?
Yeah, the Chief of Police made it pretty clear that the officer was not going to the Adult Entertainment Club, how does he know? I live right down the street. Coming off of IH-10 there are more than enough parking lots to pull in before you get to a strip club. Maybe the passenger in the shooters car gave a statement and that is how they came up with the chargers, I guess?
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:43 pm
Until all the evidence is released, we do not know the whole story. Let's wait and see.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

According to the article, the LEO got out of his car, the other guy started shooting, then the LEO went back to his car, got his gun, and returned fire. If this is true, then the LEO did not fire first, although we will need to get more facts before we know who the original aggressor was.

But, why would you get out of your car to confront someone in a potential road rage situation and leave your gun in the car. If I'm getting out of my car in that situation (big if, by the way), then I will have my gun on me. I would think this would be especially true for a cop.

Topic author
ElGallo

Post by ElGallo »

The police officer has been identified as an 11 year veteran, current academy instructor, U.S. Army veteran who did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and left the Army as a 2nd lieutenant.

It'll be interesting if all the details of what happened are shared with the public. It hasn't been mentioned if the other person has a LTC.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Well, the female who got grazed in the head is claiming that the officer shot first. Here is the article if anyone is interested.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/loca ... -559750986
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Allons wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am Well, the female who got grazed in the head is claiming that the officer shot first. Here is the article if anyone is interested.

So we have an (admittedly likely biased) eye witness report, that contradicts the story told by one of the shooters in this incident (who would also be biased). My concern here is that the SAPD chief is stating the LEO's version as a fact instead of saying that one party claims X and the other party claims Y. Since they are both claiming self defense, then both should be free or both should be locked up, pending completion of the investigation. Kind of a moot point since one is still in the hospital, but will be more relevant once he is out of there, if the other guy is still locked up.

dlh

Post by dlh »

There is much we still do not know about this story.

However, as a general rule, it is best in "road rage" situations to NOT exit your vehicle and escalate the situation. No way I would have stopped and exited my vehicle from what I know about this incident which admittedly is not much.

I assume you could invent a hypothetical where I would get out of my car but it would have to be a good one.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Allons

Post by Allons »

dlh wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 am There is much we still do not know about this story.

However, as a general rule, it is best in "road rage" situations to NOT exit your vehicle and escalate the situation. No way I would have stopped and exited my vehicle from what I know about this incident which admittedly is not much.

I assume you could invent a hypothetical where I would get out of my car but it would have to be a good one.
I would not get out of the car either, I would have just kept driving and called the cops and gave my direction of travel, car description and let them handle it.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am
Allons wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am Well, the female who got grazed in the head is claiming that the officer shot first. Here is the article if anyone is interested.

So we have an (admittedly likely biased) eye witness report, that contradicts the story told by one of the shooters in this incident (who would also be biased). My concern here is that the SAPD chief is stating the LEO's version as a fact instead of saying that one party claims X and the other party claims Y. Since they are both claiming self defense, then both should be free or both should be locked up, pending completion of the investigation.
Unless video of the event surfaces, the disparity between their treatment of the two shooters means they already made up their minds.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I assume the ones actually investigating the incident have a lot more info than we do and are making their decision accordingly.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 amSo we have an (admittedly likely biased) eye witness report, that contradicts the story told by one of the shooters in this incident (who would also be biased).
If there's no video, and the two shooters have different stories, and the only non-shooter eye witness corroborates one of their stories, I think I know who I would believe if I was a juror.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”