TX: Neighbor shoots burglar at southeast Houston home, police say

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Neighbor shoots burglar at southeast Houston home, police say

Post by ELB »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/burg ... police-say
Police said a man knocked on the front door of a house on Ventura near Marietta about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

A 12-year-old girl and 14-year-old girl inside the home didn’t answer the door, police said.

Police said Damond Augbon, 19, went to the back of the home and broke in through a window.

The girls had already called their mother, who alerted police and set off the alarm, officials said. Then the teens hid in a bedroom in the front of the home, according to officials.

According to officers, a retired neighbor heard the alarm and saw Augbon taking laptops out through a back window.

Police said the neighbor told Augbon to stop -- but he refused -- and the neighbor shot him twice in the back.
More:
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... -567614158

A
neighbor heard the alarm and went to the back of the home to see the suspect fleeing the scene. The neighbor told police he instructed the suspect to stop, but the suspect allegedly acted in a threatening manner. The neighbor then shot the suspect twice.
The suspect is in the hospital and has been charged with burglary of a habitation.
USAF 1982-2005

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Neighbor shoots burglar at southeast Houston home, police say

Post by bblhd672 »

Risky taking the shot over laptops, especially in the back. Hope the good neighbor has access to a great attorney.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

How was the neighbor to know the guy had not just raped and murdered the two girls in the house? I am not in favor of giving the bad guy in this situation a chance to line up at 25 paces.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

"occupied habitation"
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

His back shouldn't have been to the neighbor. If I had neighbors, I would hope they would do the same thing. Who's to say the burglar wasn't going to go back inside for round 2 and discover the girls? If I'm on the jury if this case goes to trial, the neighbor walks.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Allons

Post by Allons »

jason812 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:08 pm His back shouldn't have been to the neighbor. If I had neighbors, I would hope they would do the same thing. Who's to say the burglar wasn't going to go back inside for round 2 and discover the girls? If I'm on the jury if this case goes to trial, the neighbor walks.
:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Hope the best for the good Samaritan. Usually not good when shooting suspect in the back, and over property. But maybe with a good defense, he can play the angle of questioning if the girls inside had been assaulted or not.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

For the latest year I was able to find (2016) there were over 18,000 burglaries in Houston. That’s following a slow downward trend from previous years but that’s still a lot of burglaries.

Over time the internet says clearance rate for burglary has wandered between three and 8%.

I would guess that a substantial portion of the non-career-criminal population of Houston couldnt care less if a burglar got shot. See Joe Horn. I don’t know if this will have any affect on how hard the police and the DA push, but I suspect it has an effect.
USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Odinvalknir wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 pm Hope the best for the good Samaritan. Usually not good when shooting suspect in the back, and over property. But maybe with a good defense, he can play the angle of questioning if the girls inside had been assaulted or not.
Several years ago a guy in Pasadena Texas shot a criminal that was trying to run away from robbing his neighbors house. Killed him dead. Neighbor walked after some legal wrangling.

Around Easter a guy that lives in a neighborhood close to mine shot a criminal that he caught burglarizing his vehicle. Shot him dead as cootie brown. I actually was on my back porch that night having a smoke. I heard all four shots. Minutes later i heard the sirens. Before this night there had been a rash of car break in situations in the that hood. Including my Daughters car.

I am not sure anymore what I would do in this situation but would likely shoot as I am not going to wait and find out the criminal has a weapon and gets the drop on me.

I don't think the good Samaritan has to "play" any angle. One can use deadly force in these situations in Texas.

Just saw this. Yes... this is the one.
ELB wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:26 am I would guess that a substantial portion of the non-career-criminal population of Houston couldnt care less if a burglar got shot. See Joe Horn. I don’t know if this will have any affect on how hard the police and the DA push, but I suspect it has an effect.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Reminds me of the Joe Horn case. They put him through the mill in the court of public opinion! Hope this man faires better! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 am
Odinvalknir wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 pm Hope the best for the good Samaritan. Usually not good when shooting suspect in the back, and over property. But maybe with a good defense, he can play the angle of questioning if the girls inside had been assaulted or not.
Several years ago a guy in Pasadena Texas shot a criminal that was trying to run away from robbing his neighbors house. Killed him dead. Neighbor walked after some legal wrangling.

Around Easter a guy that lives in a neighborhood close to mine shot a criminal that he caught burglarizing his vehicle. Shot him dead as cootie brown. I actually was on my back porch that night having a smoke. I heard all four shots. Minutes later i heard the sirens. Before this night there had been a rash of car break in situations in the that hood. Including my Daughters car.

I am not sure anymore what I would do in this situation but would likely shoot as I am not going to wait and find out the criminal has a weapon and gets the drop on me.

I don't think the good Samaritan has to "play" any angle. One can use deadly force in these situations in Texas.

Just saw this. Yes... this is the one.
ELB wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:26 am I would guess that a substantial portion of the non-career-criminal population of Houston couldnt care less if a burglar got shot. See Joe Horn. I don’t know if this will have any affect on how hard the police and the DA push, but I suspect it has an effect.

Unfortunately even here in Texas we have a culture that is against using firearms for almost any case. And I guarantee whoever the prosecutor is on this case will try to say that shooting a suspect in the back over his neighbor's property was not a good enough reason to use deadly force.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”