UT: Man kills burglar who entered thru garage

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: UT: Man kills burglar who entered thru garage

Post by Abraham »

Can you tell I've zero sympathy for those who would burglarize/mug you because poor pitiful them can't help themselves? They have a disease. They need understanding.

But wait, there's help on the way.

They can help themselves.

They can either accept a one time deal only. Treatment.

If after treatment they go back to a drug taking/robbing/burglarizing/criminal life to support their drug taking they sign a pre-treatment document legally accepting death as their punishment if they fail the treatment with a choice of being hanged or shot by a firing squad.

Those victimized have first crack at pulling the hangman's trapdoor handle or being one on the shooters.

spectre,

I think you must be showing a sense of rather addled humor. Perhaps, similar to my own....

Being stupid with any gun is still just being stupid.

A cheap gun will kill just as dead as some custom made.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

rotor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:04 pm
Unless the mother was on drugs while carrying a fetus one is not born with an addiction. One acquires an addiction but first one has to use the drug to activate the addiction. The use of the drug requires conscious effort (unless one has been forced to use the drug). Once addicted to the drug then one has the disease of addiction. But in almost every case the disease was caused by a conscious use of a drug. If you know a person has HIV and you purposely have unprotected sex and acquire HIV you then have a disease but you activated that disease by your conscious effort. I was a tobacco user as a youngster and fought the disease of addiction to nicotine which is an extremely powerful addiction. My mother smoked while she was pregnant. Nobody knew the risks then. The choice to smoke though was my mother's and mine as as a teen. Just like elections have consequences, drug use has consequences but we all make a choice. I am a libertarian in that I don't deny you the choice but I don't want to pay to fix your mistake. I can think of better uses for the billions needed to treat other peoples bad behavior.
And herein lies the problem. People working under a total misunderstanding and lack of knowledge of addiction. It is not to say you are a bad guy to be sure.

Actually, Opiate addiction is almost always proceeded by an injury that requires the use of opiate pain medications to simply function and get through life.

No addiction can be compared to aids simply because there is no aids gene. Many people, if not most, can drink and or use drugs on occasion and NEVER become addicted. An addict/alcoholics brain is wired different and the affects are also different.

I understand your thinking on this but it parallels the fifty plus years of failure in the war on drugs. It has also been proven incorrect in recent years.

I do respect your opinion on it all and must say that it was mine as well before working with addicts/alcoholics for the past 7 years.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Good Shoot , one more Criminal Career over for good. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Lesson to remember if you park cars outside the garage ,remove the garage door opener!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm
And herein lies the problem. People working under a total misunderstanding and lack of knowledge of addiction. It is not to say you are a bad guy to be sure.

Actually, Opiate addiction is almost always proceeded by an injury that requires the use of opiate pain medications to simply function and get through life.

No addiction can be compared to aids simply because there is no aids gene. Many people, if not most, can drink and or use drugs on occasion and NEVER become addicted. An addict/alcoholics brain is wired different and the affects are also different.

I understand your thinking on this but it parallels the fifty plus years of failure in the war on drugs. It has also been proven incorrect in recent years.

I do respect your opinion on it all and must say that it was mine as well before working with addicts/alcoholics for the past 7 years.
Either man has free will or he doesn't. I classify addicts into two types. Those poor souls with chronic pain that have become addicted to opiates to relieve their pain just so they can function. They are not using drugs to get high but just to live. They are not a threat to society and are more likely to die of liver failure due to the Tylenol which is usually part of their pain meds and is liver toxic. These people because of the war on drugs and because of stupid new drug restrictions are forced into street drugs to support themselves. I feel deeply for these people.

Then there are the drug users that are in it for the high. They have made a conscious choice to start drugs. They may be the dredges of society or "good" kids from "good" families. They have free will though and have decided to use drugs by choice. They may die of a fentanyl overdose on their first try. They may become addicts. Their choice and not predestined by a genetic defect (unless their mother used drugs when carrying them). Unfortunate if they die of drug use but the choice to play Russian roulette is their choice and I don't have to support them or pay for them. Choice is the word be it alcohol, meth, heroin, cocaine or nicotine. There is no addiction gene. There are sites in the brain that once activated created an addiction. My brain has those sites for nicotine therefore I choose to NEVER use nicotine again as I will immediately activate that addiction if I do. It is my CHOICE not to become addicted to nicotine again just as it was my choice to smoke as a teenager . Choice, not genetics.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

This and two other posts about garage entry burglaries is making me feel like a third class citizen. Why? Because I'm the 'garage door opener' in my house..... :biggrinjester:

Maybe there's a business opportunity here for somebody. Create a way to open garage doors with an appropriately secured cell phone app. And don't leave your cell phone in the (unsecured) car either......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 pm This and two other posts about garage entry burglaries is making me feel like a third class citizen. Why? Because I'm the 'garage door opener' in my house..... :biggrinjester:

Maybe there's a business opportunity here for somebody. Create a way to open garage doors with an appropriately secured cell phone app. And don't leave your cell phone in the (unsecured) car either......
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Smart-Home- ... 5yc1vZc7de
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

03Lightningrocks

Shoot, my F150 opens my garage door. My Harley does as well. But neither are ever parked outside. I can also flip a switch on the control by my back door as I enter the house and it locks out remote operation.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm
rotor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:04 pm
Unless the mother was on drugs while carrying a fetus one is not born with an addiction. One acquires an addiction but first one has to use the drug to activate the addiction. The use of the drug requires conscious effort (unless one has been forced to use the drug). Once addicted to the drug then one has the disease of addiction. But in almost every case the disease was caused by a conscious use of a drug. If you know a person has HIV and you purposely have unprotected sex and acquire HIV you then have a disease but you activated that disease by your conscious effort. I was a tobacco user as a youngster and fought the disease of addiction to nicotine which is an extremely powerful addiction. My mother smoked while she was pregnant. Nobody knew the risks then. The choice to smoke though was my mother's and mine as as a teen. Just like elections have consequences, drug use has consequences but we all make a choice. I am a libertarian in that I don't deny you the choice but I don't want to pay to fix your mistake. I can think of better uses for the billions needed to treat other peoples bad behavior.

I drink often and smoke cigarettes like its my job! I had surgery a year ago and was prescribed some type of opium liquid painkiller. I took it for a week and was very cautious about exactly how much I was taking. I KNEW what could happen, especially to an addictive person like myself. As soon as I was better, I flushed the rest down the toilet (yes, I know but didn’t care), and have never thought about it until today.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

03Lightningrocks

TreyHouston wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 pm
I drink often and smoke cigarettes like its my job! I had surgery a year ago and was prescribed some type of opium liquid painkiller. I took it for a week and was very cautious about exactly how much I was taking. I KNEW what could happen, especially to an addictive person like myself. As soon as I was better, I flushed the rest down the toilet (yes, I know but didn’t care), and have never thought about it until today.
Smart Move in my opinion.

Allons

Post by Allons »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 pm
TreyHouston wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 pm
Smart Move in my opinion.
:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

JamesLewis

Post by JamesLewis »

Yes, I understand how it can be. After a car accident, I had to take several types of opioids because my spine was damaged. I've been smoking for 10 years and sometimes drink alcohol of course. But when I started to take this kind of drugs, I understood that after not a long time I'd not be able to live without this. Furthermore, I started to use it more and more often. So I consulted a doctor and reduced the treatment with these drugs. Massages and manual therapy helped me more, I think. In fact, many more people are addicted to drugs that are prescribed during therapy than we think. Based on information from NIDA, this is a fairly high percentage. I read an interesting article about such addiction on Addiction Resource two days ago. And I think that we should know more about treatment which doctors are prescribing for us. Because some of these drugs can lead us to addiction.
Last edited by JamesLewis on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

warnmar10

Worth an hour of your time to watch this

Post by warnmar10 »

I watched this last night. Skip to 00:44:00 to see how the State of Rhode Island is dealing with this issue. I was favorably impressed.

The video is depressing but worth your time to watch because if the Seattle situation hasn't already visited your city it soon will.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”