OK: Clerk shoots customer who pulls gun over photographs

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

OK: Clerk shoots customer who pulls gun over photographs

Post by ELB »

Police identify man killed in confrontation with clerk over photos at Walgreens, police say

Hurley had pulled a gun during a confrontation with the employee about the photographs, according to police.

The interaction between Hurley and the clerk, who was not identified, escalated when the clerk attempted to verify the man was the owner of the photographs.

The clerk backed away and attempted to call 911 as Hurley allegedly retreated with the photographs. Hurley was allegedly threatening to kill the clerk around that time, and then allegedly returned to the counter in an effort to cross over it again.

"The clerk then pulled his own gun and shot the deceased multiple times," Watkins said.

No arrests had been made Wednesday in connection to the triple shooting.

Two other people — a customer and an employee — were struck by gunfire. The two bystanders were behind Hurley, Tulsa Police Sgt. Brandon Watkins said.
Other stories indicate the clerk was licensed to carry.
USAF 1982-2005

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OK: Clerk shoots customer who pulls gun over photographs

Post by OneGun »

I predict the clerk will not be charged with any crime, but Walgreens will terminate the clerk for having a gun at his place of employment.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

"The clerk then pulled his own gun and shot the deceased multiple times," Watkins said.

Was he a Zombie ?

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

"Know your target and WHAT IS BEHIND IT."

2 innocents shot....that's not so good.

Perhaps the clerk was using FMJ's and they did a through-and-through the threat?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Although the Clerk will most likely not be charged Walgreens will pay large for the injuries to the customers.

We can expect to see signs go up if they didn’t have them before.

Not to blame victims, but... if I’m in a store and I hear yelling and a gun being pulled, I’m increasing my distance to the gun and really doing my best to find cover. I’m certainly not staying in the line of fire.

Nothing to indicate it, but what are the chances one of the victims was videoing?

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

One news report (http://www.newson6.com/clip/14719483/1- ... walgreens) specifies that the incident was recorded on the store's security camera system according to a police statement; none of the articles I've accessed definitively state who was responsible for hitting the non-participants. Hopefully the video will eventually show up on ASP......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

No charges for clerk.

Also, Walgreens says clerk is "no longer with the company." :mad5
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

ELB wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm No charges for clerk.

Also, Walgreens says clerk is "no longer with the company." :mad5
Good video! According to police the clerk did everything he could to de-escalate and call 911, but the bad guy was armed and re-engaged. According to the law the badguy is responsible for those injured by gunfire.

Good Shoot. I guess Walgreen's considers their employee's lives cheap. Sad that the clerk lost his job, but it is far better than losing his life. I wonder if the corporate HQ of Walgreen's has armed security? Do the bosses consider their own lives more valuable?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Walgreens is or was being sued in California for an enormous about, $500 million I think, because one of their hired, armed, security guards shot an unarmed shoplifter who was running away or something. This of course is exactly the same situation as one of their clerks legally defending himself from a vicious thug. Cheaper to pay the death benefits of the clerk than be the big pocket book in a civil suit by some halfwit's family.
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

There seems to be a pattern at Walgreens:

2011 - Walgreens fires Michigan Pharmacist for defensive shooting

Walgreens Armed security guard shoots unarmed man
Douglas said Hart’s family is planning to file a $525 million wrongful-death suit against Walgreens. Douglas said the family is calling for a boycott of Walgreens until armed guards are removed from their stores.
Basically Walgreens knows that they need armed security at their stores, but chooses to hire security guards (with very poor judgement in the case of the Hollywood Walgreens) instead of allowing their employee's to protect themselves.

Then you have the Hart family who wants an absurd payday for the tragic death of their homeless, jobless 21 year-old son. Total clown-show
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I'm glad for the clerk's sake that Oklahoma law considers the perpetrating criminal legally culpable for all collateral damage. And I noticed in the video that the police detective did not specify who's rounds hit the bystanders. Which makes me wonder.......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:35 pm I'm glad for the clerk's sake that Oklahoma law considers the perpetrating criminal legally culpable for all collateral damage.
Does it? That's interesting.

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:35 pm And I noticed in the video that the police detective did not specify who's rounds hit the bystanders. Which makes me wonder.......
There is another article, that I do not have at my fingertips, that says that only the clerk fired his gun.
USAF 1982-2005

stroo

Post by stroo »

The clerk did well to only get fired. Good shoot until he hit bystanders, then not so good.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”