Defensive shoot against a dog (personal story)

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
xeno_texas
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Defensive shoot against a dog (personal story)

Post by xeno_texas »

puma guy wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:02 am Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you were able to end the threat from the dog. I'm a dog lover and I know from personal experience how difficult it is to take such drastic action when you encounter an aggressive dog. I hope your neighbor is not seeking to avenge his aggressive dogs demise, but he doesn't sound like the coolest head in the 'hood. Does your county not have restrictions on dogs at large? Where I hunt there are signs warning of $500 fines for dogs at large. I'm wondering if animal control told him he should control his dogs. I'm also curious as to the breed of your neighbor's dogs.
The county doesn't have any ordinances against dogs at large. It is a process to get an address registered as having an aggressive dog. It usually takes an attack of some sort before the county will do anything. Since I had shot one, the only reason the other dog was listed was because he directly threatened an officer. As far as the breeds, I am not 100% sure. I am certain they are mutts, however by appearance they look like pit/bull-terrier/American bull mixes. Close to, or over, 100lb. I compared him in size to my Lab @ 110#.

Malawler
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Malawler »

Yes, having to shoot a dog is a hard thing to do. Glad you're ok and hope the neighbor settles down and learns something.
My own similar situation was a few years ago. While walking down the street, a large dog came charging towards me. I drew and we circled each other a few times while I was yelling 'Whoever this freaking dog belongs to better get out here and save its life!' Fortunately, he heard me and was able to control his dog without incident. He even appologized and thanked me for not firing. We've actually become somewhat friendly since then so hopefully your neighbor will see the error of his ways. Stay safe.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

xeno_texas wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:15 pm To my knowledge, he was not interested in seeing the physical evidence and it is possible the deputy allowed him to view his POV. Not sure if he can do that, or not. I wasn't going to allow him access to the house to view it on the desktop either. As far as sharing it here.. I don't see it being inappropriate except for the size. It is a HD video, so a large file. It was far enough away that there is nothing graphic except seeing the dog collapse and start twitching legs.
Once you are comfortable with it, and are confident that no other actions may be taken by your neighbor, I would consider putting it on youtube (not directly on here) or directly sending a copy to someone like John at Active Self Protection as having these videos really does help others analyze and make good choices if faced with the same scenarios.

Tough luck about the neighbor, maybe he'll come around but I wouldn't count on it. Thats rough.

Again, thanks for posting.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

I've never had to shoot an aggressive dog, but I have had a neighbor that was a terrible person to live next to. I hope your neighbor can get past this and the incident not turn into a feud.

:tiphat:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”