NY: Homeowner kills intruders, charged with illegal possesion handgun

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

NY: Homeowner kills intruders, charged with illegal possesion handgun

Post by ELB »

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Its-e ... 64811.html

Woman and her nephew entered man's home and headed up stairs to where the homeowner was. Homeowner shot them, killing both.

Homeowner was arrested by police, not because of the shooting, but because the handgun he used he had inherited from his father but never registered the change in ownership with the state. Now he is facing a felony charge.

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Mugsh ... 71251.html

The woman has been arrested more than 20 times, and her nephew at least once. Items from the homeowner's home were found in another home and police are investigating to see if the woman and nephew had already burglarized the homeowner a week prior.

Fundraising effort for the homeowner: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Fundr ... 21871.html
USAF 1982-2005

JakeTheSnake

Re: NY: Homeowner kills intruders, charged with illegal possesion handgun

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Statement for the family of the deceased “victims”.

"On May 28th our world was completely changed and will never be the same. We lost two wonderful people to gun violence. We are not sure why our Brother and Aunt were in Deerfield but we can say with certainty that they were not there to harm anyone.They were two amazing, caring, and loving people we truly believe they thought the house was unoccupied. They did not deserve to die!!! The police should have been called and their deaths could have been avoided. They are also victims & will deeply be missed!!"

Two wonderful people. She had been arrested at least 20 times.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

JakeTheSnake wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm Statement for the family of the deceased “victims”.

"On May 28th our world was completely changed and will never be the same. We lost two wonderful people to gun violence. We are not sure why our Brother and Aunt were in Deerfield but we can say with certainty that they were not there to harm anyone.They were two amazing, caring, and loving people we truly believe they thought the house was unoccupied. They did not deserve to die!!! The police should have been called and their deaths could have been avoided. They are also victims & will deeply be missed!!"

Two wonderful people. She had been arrested at least 20 times.
You have to be arrested at least 50 times in NY before you are dropped from "wonderful people" to "good people"! Once you are killed committing a capital offense you were turning your life around! :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I bet they were dimocrats too?

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

ELB wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:48 pm
Homeowner was arrested by police, not because of the shooting, but because the handgun he used he had inherited from his father but never registered the change in ownership with the state. Now he is facing a felony charge.
I have a really hard time not seeing this as an infringement of the right to bear arms. If a poll tax is an impediment to voting, registering a firearm (and paying the associated fee) is an impediment to keeping arms. A person is not required to register other items inherited except for motor vehicles. I wish that a case like this could be used to smack NY upside the head over the 2nd Amendment.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:55 pm
I have a really hard time not seeing this as an infringement of the right to bear arms. If a poll tax is an impediment to voting, registering a firearm (and paying the associated fee) is an impediment to keeping arms. A person is not required to register other items inherited except for motor vehicles. I wish that a case like this could be used to smack NY upside the head over the 2nd Amendment.
I would argue that you don't have to register the vehicle unless it is going to be on public roads. At least, that's the case in TX.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

philip964

Post by philip964 »

:iagree:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Flightmare wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:25 pm
I would argue that you don't have to register the vehicle unless it is going to be on public roads. At least, that's the case in TX.
It might be for now but Texas Parks and Wildlife no longer allows un-registered boats sitting in your back yard. If you own it, it has to be registered whether it ever goes into the water or not. I have a sailboat that I haven't used in 8 years and have renewed its registration twice. I believe that we are heading for the same on cars. I do understand farm vehicles. Notice that I'm not saying that I agree with this at all. My view is that licensing and especially inspection is nothing but an undercover tax.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

code_rage

Post by code_rage »

The laws for acquiring a handgun in New York are so strict, nothing like Texas. For Staters when you get your drivers license they dont finger print you, so they arent on record. To apply for a chl (concealed handgun license) no open carry in NY. You have to go to the county sheriff's office to get an application it's not online. You need three references and they need to be notarized. Then you can submit you application and pay something like $190 The sheriff's will finger print you and run your background check. And then in the highly unlikely event you get your chl you can purchase a handgun. otherwise there is no possible way to legally posses one. Your homes not your Castle and neither is your vehicle. If he didnt kill those two intruders they could sue him for assault even though they b&e. I've only lived in the great state of Texas for 3 years and I dont think theres any better quote then "I wasnt born here but I got here as fast as I could"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LDP wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:12 am What puzzles me are the actions of the homeowner after his self-defense. Perps are no threat anymore, backyard is big, why let the police eff it up, let the media turn him into a murderer and let the perp relatives take everything he owns in (un)civil court?
It’s entirely possible that New Yorkers, having long ago meekly accepted the nullification of their 2nd Amendment rights, are ignorant of the Three S's principle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

LDP wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:26 am [quote="The Annoyed Man" post_id=<a href="tel:1251424">1251424</a> time=<a href="tel:1559312523">1559312523</a> user_id=2929]... ignorant of the Three S's principle.
Well, add me to the ignorant pool too, please.
Even after googling, I still do not know what that principle is. :banghead:
Care to educate a fellow member? I'm all ears. :bigear:
[/quote]

Shoot, shovel and shut up.

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Stupid things @ Stupid times w/ Stupid people
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LDP wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:26 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 am... ignorant of the Three S's principle.
Well, add me to the ignorant pool too, please.
Even after googling, I still do not know what that principle is. :banghead:
Care to educate a fellow member? I'm all ears. :bigear:
Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”