NC:5 minutes passed before 911 dispached police in fatal break in.

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

NC:5 minutes passed before 911 dispached police in fatal break in.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.greensboro.com/news/crime/f ... JuBuiZWBPE

Woman home with two kids, hiding in closet as crazy big man pounded on the door.

When seconds count.

Yes, man died, but while under police custody, sorry click bait tactic that I repeated.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NC:5 minutes passed before 911 dispached police in fatal break in.

Post by Jusme »

I wonder if she may now see the reason, so many people believe, they are responsible for their own security? I'm glad neither she nor her children were harmed, but being defenseless, and waiting on the government to save you, is never a winnable proposition.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Reading the article, it sounds like the dispatcher was having to deal with a system that has some inherent organizational limitations, and that system's limitations being overwhelmed by other events (the truck accident on the highway). It mentions that dispatchers weren’t even able break through to the officers on the street and inform them of the ongoing attack because the volume of radio traffic surrounding the accident made it impossible get through. That’s not really dispatch's fault, is it? I don’t even know if it’s the officers' fault ... unless this is a radio discipline training issue.

Bad deal all around, and a powerful argument FOR having a firearm in the home.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:27 am
:iagree: Since SCOTUS has made it clear the police have no duty to protect you from criminals, it is your own responsibility to do so. People need to wake up and understand what this country will be like when only criminals and government agents with no duty to protect you have guns.

The Annoyed Man

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:37 am
:iagree: Since SCOTUS has made it clear the police have no duty to protect you from criminals, it is your own responsibility to do so. People need to wake up and understand what this country will be like when only criminals and government agents with no duty to protect you have guns.
Yep. Preaching to the choir! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am
And we have the reason I posted this. I suspect NC has easy gun rules, so I suspect she will buy a gun. However what about those helpless souls in other states, I guess they haven’t banned prayer yet.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

When Seconds count, Police are only minutes away!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:27 am Reading the article, it sounds like the dispatcher was having to deal with a system that has some inherent organizational limitations, and that system's limitations being overwhelmed by other events (the truck accident on the highway). It mentions that dispatchers weren’t even able break through to the officers on the street and inform them of the ongoing attack because the volume of radio traffic surrounding the accident made it impossible get through. That’s not really dispatch's fault, is it? I don’t even know if it’s the officers' fault ... unless this is a radio discipline training issue.

I don't know what radio equipment they have in this case, but in my AO, an outbound transmission from Dispatch (on the priority/dispatch channel) overrides ALL incoming transmissions from the field. And I don't think our gear is terribly new. Also, protocol dictates that if there's an incident in progress, the channel being used for that incident gets "locked" to traffic from/to that incident and other traffic moves to a pre-determined secondary channel.

FWIW.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I had an 911 dispatcher in my LTC class once. I asked her, best case scenario, how long it takes for the call to come in, get all the details, and send the first dispatch out. She responded, 2 minutes. After that it is driving time to the scene and getting to the victim. Assuming the officer is a mile away and he can drive 60 mph (1 mile a minute) we're up to three minutes. Then he has to assess and take whatever action he must take. Four minutes minimum.

I tell my students, and anyone else that will listen, that if the stars align and the angels descend you have to hold on for 4 minutes. In reality it will probably be at least twice as long. I tell them to try to stay alive and keep everyone else alive for 15 minutes. If you can survive 15 minutes then things are probably going to turn out better than not, even if the situation is not over. 15 minutes gives the Calvary enough time to get there and to effect a response. Even out in the country where I live, 15 minutes would cover most instances.

Granted I want them to try to survive as long as possible but the 15 minute time frame gives them something to strive towards, knowing help is coming. That is why I promote firearms training (including the option of evading) and Stop the Bleed training. Additional first aid is great but anything other keeping blood inside of the body and air moving is going to be tough in a dynamic situation.

Granted, all situations will be different but the students start understanding what it takes to be prepared and hang on.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

The Annoyed Man

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:27 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:27 am Reading the article, it sounds like the dispatcher was having to deal with a system that has some inherent organizational limitations, and that system's limitations being overwhelmed by other events (the truck accident on the highway). It mentions that dispatchers weren’t even able break through to the officers on the street and inform them of the ongoing attack because the volume of radio traffic surrounding the accident made it impossible get through. That’s not really dispatch's fault, is it? I don’t even know if it’s the officers' fault ... unless this is a radio discipline training issue.

I don't know what radio equipment they have in this case, but in my AO, an outbound transmission from Dispatch (on the priority/dispatch channel) overrides ALL incoming transmissions from the field. And I don't think our gear is terribly new. Also, protocol dictates that if there's an incident in progress, the channel being used for that incident gets "locked" to traffic from/to that incident and other traffic moves to a pre-determined secondary channel.

FWIW.
That’s why I mentioned a possible training issue. It’s possible, maybe, that protocols were violated in the heat of the moment.

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My Engine was sent to a person having seizures, we get there and there is a guy having a full blown grand mal seizure, Me and my driver are trying to control their movements so they don't hurt themselves, my firefighter is suppose to be bringing in the EMS kits, and low and behold some jerk out there has picked a fight with my firefighter, I get on the radio and tell dispatch I NEED P.D. NOW! she asks Unit Calling? I answer ONLY FIRE UNIT OUT! About this time every police unit in the city lights off their siren! Within about three minutes there were 4 police cars outside!
Dumb thing was dispatch had a monitor screen that showed what radio had been keyed, both portables and mobile units!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:19 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:27 am

FWIW.
That’s why I mentioned a possible training issue. It’s possible, maybe, that protocols were violated in the heat of the moment.
Wasn't trying say anything that disagreed with you Sir. Just my own example.

Also, I sat in with my local dispatch folks on a shift recently.... Timing wise, an urgent call for service here reaches a patrol unit in less than 30 seconds.

Dispatch : 911, what is your emergency?
Caller : Explains
Dispatch : What is your location?
Caller: Gives location

At this point Dispatch 1 continues to gather information from the caller and Dispatch 2 assigns the call to a unit. 30 seconds after the phone is picked up. Information is added to the call and communicated to the officer/s via radio and computer while the officer is en route.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

troglodyte wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:41 pm I had an 911 dispatcher in my LTC class once. I asked her, best case scenario, how long it takes for the call to come in, get all the details, and send the first dispatch out. She responded, 2 minutes. After that it is driving time to the scene and getting to the victim. Assuming the officer is a mile away and he can drive 60 mph (1 mile a minute) we're up to three minutes. Then he has to assess and take whatever action he must take. Four minutes minimum.

I tell my students, and anyone else that will listen, that if the stars align and the angels descend you have to hold on for 4 minutes. In reality it will probably be at least twice as long. I tell them to try to stay alive and keep everyone else alive for 15 minutes. If you can survive 15 minutes then things are probably going to turn out better than not, even if the situation is not over. 15 minutes gives the Calvary enough time to get there and to effect a response. Even out in the country where I live, 15 minutes would cover most instances.

Granted I want them to try to survive as long as possible but the 15 minute time frame gives them something to strive towards, knowing help is coming. That is why I promote firearms training (including the option of evading) and Stop the Bleed training. Additional first aid is great but anything other keeping blood inside of the body and air moving is going to be tough in a dynamic situation.

Granted, all situations will be different but the students start understanding what it takes to be prepared and hang on.
Dallas average response time for priority one calls is 8.35 minutes, priority 2 calls are averaging 22 minutes (I personally witnessed some that were 40+ minutes). Those are numbers without the 2 minutes you are on the phone with the 911 operator. So you are on average waiting 10.35 minutes for the police when someone is actively trying to kill you. Then you are waiting even longer for medical, since the police have to clear the scene for the paramedics. Different cities will be better or worse, but at least gives some numbers to work with. So your 15 minutes is about right for when a medic gets to you (on average in Dallas).
NRA Benefactor Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am
A 'firearm in the home' is not the answer, accessible firearmS in the home is the answer. What good does a semi-auto belly blaster in the nightstand do you when the assailant comes through the front door and - vice versa?

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I'd wager that most of us here understand the value, or at the very least have an inkling of the value, of a sidearm (at your side). Every decision we make involves risk (odds and stakes) and time. When the stakes are the life/health of you and your loved ones -- in other words as high as they can get -- tolerance for risk (that you have no conceivable means of mitigating) goes down and an appreciation of time goes up. Thus, we perceive a potential need to defend ourselves and our loved ones with tools readily at hand when time is extremely short -- and we go about the business of ensuring tools are at (trained) hands practically always to meet that potential threat.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”