TX: Dallas man goes back to bed after shooting burglar.

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Dallas man goes back to bed after shooting burglar.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/poli ... ng-burglar

I think there have been threads about the importance of calling 911 after firing your gun.

This thread will emphasize the importance of doing it as soon as it is safe to do so, regardless of how early in the morning or how tired you are.

Probably a second point is having your attorney present when you talk to the police.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: TX: Dallas man goes back to bed after shooting burglar.

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:51 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/poli ... ng-burglar

I think there have been threads about the importance of calling 911 after firing your gun.

This thread will emphasize the importance of doing it as soon as it is safe to do so, regardless of how early in the morning or how tired you are.

Probably a second point is having your attorney present when you talk to the police.
Yes, the guy should have called 911 when it was safe to do so. It is also a bad idea to shoot a warning shot or "shot into the night".
I don't understand the murder charge. Maybe some of the physical evidence didn't match the story given by the homeowner ... :headscratch
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Maybe he thought he missed since the bad guy ran away. I agree he should have called the cops after firing his weapon. At least there is one less bad guy. Too bad this old man is going to pay for it. He should be getting a reward instead.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:38 pm Maybe he thought he missed since the bad guy ran away. I agree he should have called the cops after firing his weapon. At least there is one less bad guy. Too bad this old man is going to pay for it. He should be getting a reward instead.
Maybe he did miss the guy, who then dropped the pickaxe and while running away was shot in the back [after he was no longer a threat]?
NRA Endowment Member

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Truthfully I think he should have called cops at the moment he saw someone fiddling with his shed lock & stayed in the house. Having a weapon is no reason to get out of the house & confront. I’ve heard of courage in a bottle but there is also courage in a barrel. Shoot over what? A lawn mower? A car? All that stuff will end up in a junk yard one day. Why kill over that? Why take a human life over some property? Just because the law allows it doesn’t make it right. Stay inside, and protect yourself if the person attempts to intrude your home. Some people need to consider what the firearm is for. It’s for the protection of life.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:11 pm Truthfully I think he should have called cops at the moment he saw someone fiddling with his shed lock & stayed in the house. Having a weapon is no reason to get out of the house & confront. I’ve heard of courage in a bottle but there is also courage in a barrel. Shoot over what? A lawn mower? A car? All that stuff will end up in a junk yard one day. Why kill over that? Why take a human life over some property? Just because the law allows it doesn’t make it right. Stay inside, and protect yourself if the person attempts to intrude your home. Some people need to consider what the firearm is for. It’s for the protection of life.
In no way or shape or form do I agree with you at all. If some/anyone is on my property trying to break into something and has a weapon, im going to take my best Defense Weapon and if need be put it to use.

A lawn mover is most the time worth over 500 dollars aka: felony amout of theft and he had a deadly weapon, you dont know if the guy had other smaller safes/cheap ones that the guy could of got ahold of. The circumstances of "whats" in that shed could of made it even worse but who knows.

Guns are also for protection of property also bye the way. As [ 03Lightningrocks ] said this guy needs a award. I'm thinking of buying him one, something like the world cup but not in pure silver im to cheep. Or maybe comisari if he is convicted.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Plus if the guy went back to sleep you know he felt he did nothing wrong, yes call 911 to cover your keester.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

rotor

Post by rotor »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:11 pm Truthfully I think he should have called cops at the moment he saw someone fiddling with his shed lock & stayed in the house. Having a weapon is no reason to get out of the house & confront. I’ve heard of courage in a bottle but there is also courage in a barrel. Shoot over what? A lawn mower? A car? All that stuff will end up in a junk yard one day. Why kill over that? Why take a human life over some property? Just because the law allows it doesn’t make it right. Stay inside, and protect yourself if the person attempts to intrude your home. Some people need to consider what the firearm is for. It’s for the protection of life.
We can argue about whether it is alright to steal someones property (at night and from a senior), but when you approach someone who has confronted you with a pickax while committing a crime, are warned not to come closer and still do, then the use of lethal force is justified. I don't know why there was a delay in calling the police but if the only thing holding the guy in jail was the delay he should beat the rap. I don't know where in the law it says that after use of legal deadly force the police must be notified immediately.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

rotor wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm
I don't know where in the law it says that after use of legal deadly force the police must be notified immediately.
Good point! I'm guessing they "Expect" it. Still would like to know though if it's mandatory.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

narcissist wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:56 pm
rotor wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm
I don't know where in the law it says that after use of legal deadly force the police must be notified immediately.
Good point! I'm guessing they "Expect" it. Still would like to know though if it's mandatory.
I’m willing to bet he wishes now that he would have stayed inside and simply called the police before going out and shooting.

My views are informed by my faith (not to make this into a Sunday sermon but I consider how would Jesus want me to respond) and don’t expect that anyone should agree with me without first understanding that part.

Legally I don’t think the fella did anything wrong in regards to discharging his firearm based on what was written in the article.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

I’m figuring this falls under the “your involved in a car accident that was not your fault, but you drive off and fail to render aid”.

The burglar’s injuries may have not been fatal, but failure to report it to the police in a timely manner, caused him to die.

I also suspect he may have said things to the police that caused him to be charged.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:12 pm I’m figuring this falls under the “your involved in a car accident that was not your fault, but you drive off and fail to render aid”.

The burglar’s injuries may have not been fatal, but failure to report it to the police in a timely manner, caused him to die.

I also suspect he may have said things to the police that caused him to be charged.
It would not surprise me.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Or, as I believe one commentor mentioned, he wanted to talk to his attorney first.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

And the charges might have to do with something else mentioned in the comments. After the shooting, the man cleaned up his brass and threw them out. That is destruction of evidence and would tend to make the police think he had done something wrong or not told them the truth.

There are lots of old saws about moving the body inside the door if you shoot someone. The truth is the evidence will always be analyzed and the truth found out. Don't mess with the crime scene ever.
Steve Rothstein

Chaparral
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chaparral »

Just guessing, but it is likely that the physical evidence was inconsistent with what the man told police. This, combined with the delay in reporting, and the suggested tampering with evidence, might be enough for the investigators to doubt his story of self defense. Don’t buy the “hero” a trophy, just yet.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”