MO: St. Louis Lawyers Defend Mansion From BLM Protesters In Viral Video

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

philip964
Posts in topic: 42

Re: MO: St. Louis Lawyers Defend Mansion From BLM Protesters In Viral Video

Post by philip964 »

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... le-face-f/

They have been charged with a Felony.

"felony unlawful use of a weapon" I know we all wanted it to say brandishing.

"McCloskeys’ actions risked creating a violent situation during an otherwise nonviolent protest " says Gardner.

"It is illegal to wave weapons in a threatening manner - that is unlawful in the city of St. Louis,” Gardner said.

I don't know if they were doctored, but I have seen pictures of weapons in the hands of the peaceful protestors.

"Sen. Josh Hawley, who has urged Attorney General William Barr to undertake a civil rights investigation of Gardner."

Yeah that is what I am talking about.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:48 pm "Sen. Josh Hawley, who has urged Attorney General William Barr to undertake a civil rights investigation of Gardner."

Yeah that is what I am talking about.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

cirus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cirus »

Should have never gave up his weapon.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Grayling813 »

UPDATE: Missouri AG Moves To Dismiss Charges Filed Against St. Louis Couple Who Brandished Firearms To Defend Selves From Mob
https://lidblog.com/dismiss-against-the-mccloskeys/

Interesting twist, if true.
Last week the McCloskeys former attorney Al Watkins said he turned over the pistol that Patricia McCloskey pointed at the mob because she worried about her personal safety. Watkins noted that the handgun he gave to the police wasn’t really kept for self-protection. It wasn’t a working gun. It was only used as an exhibit in the McCloskeys’ own law practice for a lawsuit against the handgun manufacturer.

During the incident with the mob, Mark McCloskey had the safety of the semi-automatic rifle engaged and did not finger the trigger. Per KSDK, A source familiar with the investigation told them that police did not find any ammunition at the McCloskey’s home, and the rifle was not loaded when they seized it. So neither firearm was capable of lethal force.
MO’s AG not happy...
Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt on Monday moved to dismiss charges brought by St. Louis’ top prosecutor against a couple who pointed guns at a crowd marching to the mayor’s home last month, He released the following statement:

Following earlier charges issued, Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt filed a brief in the case of Mark and Patricia McCloskey supporting the Castle Doctrine law and seeking the dismissal of those charges recently filed by the Circuit Attorney’s Office.
“The right to keep and bear arms is given the highest level of protection in our constitution and our laws, including the Castle Doctrine. This provides broad rights to Missourians who are protecting their property and lives from those who wish to do them harm,” said Attorney General Schmitt. “Despite this, Circuit Attorney Gardner filed charges against the McCloskeys, who, according to published reports, were defending their property and safety. As Missouri’s Chief law enforcement officer, I won’t stand by while Missouri law is being ignored – that’s why I entered this case to seek its dismissal, to protect the rights of Missourians to defend their property under Missouri’s Castle Doctrine.”
The brief supporting dismissal reads, “The right to use firearms to defend one’s person, family, home, and property has deep roots in Missouri law. Self-defense is the central component of the right to keep and bear arms, which receives the highest level of protection from the Missouri Constitution. Missouri’s statutes specifically authorize Missouri citizens to use firearms to deter assailants and protect themselves, their families, and homes from threatening or violent intruders. A highly publicized criminal prosecution of Missouri citizens for exercising these fundamental freedoms threatens to intimidate and deter law-abiding Missouri citizens from exercising their constitutional right of self-defense.”

parabelum
Posts in topic: 5

Post by parabelum »

🤦‍♂️

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bbhack »

Jus' followin orders, mam.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Question for those who are more legally educated, can the State Attorney General Schmitt charge the City Attorney General with Official Oppresion for going after the McCloskey when what they did was legal by State Law?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

She is just another racist rioter in disguise.

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm After having worked in St. Louis for 20 years, including the area that the neighborhood is in, I can tell you they are literally surrounded by bad actors. I was always amazed at the opulence of some of the gated neighborhoods in St. Louis that two blocks away you don't feel safe being there.

In St. Louis, this couple's risk of having their house burned down around them might be greater than the risk of going to jail for defending it.
This is an accurate analysis. Prior to moving to Texas, I lived for almost 3 years on Waterman, the street to which this couple's house backs. I lived on the same block as the McCloskeys but on the wrong side of our shared fence. I picked my apartment at that location because it gave me a semi-protected stance by virtue of backing to Portland Place. I figured I'd have a better chance of defending myself with my back side mostly covered (and I was correct).

It's a dangerous area. I've worked in industrial areas in Houston for 28 years, and very rarely have I encountered an enclave that I feel is as dangerous as that part of St. Louis. Only scrappy people live there, no matter their personal income level. It takes a certain type, because the chronic crime is a tough pill to swallow.

Much has been made of the opulence of the couple's home, but they bought it as a complete wreck 30 years ago and devoted themselves to its restoration. They are self-made in that respect, which may explain why they were so extra-motivated to protect the fruits of their labor.

I mention these things because, in any analysis like this, it helps to have context with which to frame the events.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm
philip964 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:41 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ights.html

Apparently they like to sue, don’t like Bees and Gays.
They sound like the sort of lawyers I despise...maybe they're getting a good dose of karma from the legal system.
Not all they liked to sue: "Patricia McCloskey and her husband Mark McCloskey have said that the handgun Patricia McCloskey waved at protesters was inoperable because they had used it as a prop during a lawsuit they once filed against a gun manufacturer. In order to bring it into a courtroom, they made it inoperable." https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... 45e74b5c2d

philip964
Posts in topic: 42

Post by philip964 »

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... 45e74b5c2d

DA’s office orders crime lab to fix and reassemble Mrs. McCloskey’s so it could fire.

“found it had been assembled incorrectly. Specifically, the firing pin spring was put in front of the firing pin, which was backward, and made the gun incapable of firing, “

Would that be tampering with evidence?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:27 pm https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... 45e74b5c2d

DA’s office orders crime lab to fix and reassemble Mrs. McCloskey’s so it could fire.

“found it had been assembled incorrectly. Specifically, the firing pin spring was put in front of the firing pin, which was backward, and made the gun incapable of firing, “

Would that be tampering with evidence?
IANAL, but I think its more like manufacturing evidence.

Based on what I have read about this charge, it requires the gun in question to have been capable of firing. So when presented with clear evidence that the gun could not fire, the correct thing would have been to drop the charges instead of manufacturing evidence of a working firearm.

This might also explain the lack of muzzle discipline on her part, if she knew the gun could not fire a round.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Paladin »

Keith B wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am MO AG dismissing case https://m.theliontimes.com/politics/mis ... g-gun.html
:thewave :thewave :thewave

Victory for TEAM AMERICA! :patriot:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am
Keith B wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am MO AG dismissing case https://m.theliontimes.com/politics/mis ... g-gun.html
:thewave :thewave :thewave

Victory for TEAM AMERICA! :patriot:
I am not jumping up and down just yet. They never should have been charged to begin with. There never should have been a warrant to steal their firearms. I will show some enthusiasm when the leftist dictator that used her office to persecute these people is fired.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”