SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 9

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

Post by Papa_Tiger »

RPBrown wrote:So do seniors pay the $40.00 or the $5.00 as listed here?

SECTION 6. Section 411.195, Government Code, is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 411.195. REDUCTION OF CERTAIN FEES FOR SENIOR CITIZENS. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, if an applicant for the license is 60 years of age or older, the department shall reduce by:
(1) 50 percent any fee required for the issuance of a duplicate or modified license under this subchapter; and
(2) $5 any fee required for the issuance of a renewed license under this subchapter [if the applicant for the license is 60 years of age or older].
The answer is actually $35. All* Original and Renewal LTCs cost $40 now. Seniors per 411.195(2) get a $5 reduction on the $40 cost of a renewal or original LTC.

ETA:
*Some exceptions for indigency or if you are an active or retired judicial officer.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

Papa_Tiger wrote:

Sec. 411.195. REDUCTION OF CERTAIN FEES FOR SENIOR CITIZENS. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, if an applicant for the license is 60 years of age or older, the department shall reduce by:
(1) 50 percent any fee required for the issuance of a duplicate or modified license under this subchapter; and
(2) $5 any fee required for the issuance of a renewed license under this subchapter [if the applicant for the license is 60 years of age or older].
The answer is actually $35. All* Original and Renewal LTCs cost $40 now. Seniors per 411.195(2) get a $5 reduction on the $40 cost of a renewal or original LTC.

ETA:
*Some exceptions for indigency or if you are an active or retired judicial officer.
I too misread that the first time through as seniors paying $5. Got to tie it back to the "reduce by"
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

There is no change in the price of renewal for seniors 60 and over.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Liberty »

twomillenium wrote:There is no change in the price of renewal for seniors 60 and over.
Nor for veterans, but it's not as though we were paying a lot anyway.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

poppo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by poppo »

$35 It says "shall reduce by $5" ($40-$5=$35 same as before, just worded differently)
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Kolamer

Post by Kolamer »

So does anyone know what the deal is with this bill? It was sent to the gov for him to sign it back on 05/15 but it still hasnt been signed. Does he do a mass signing of bills at the end of the session?

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Kolamer wrote:So does anyone know what the deal is with this bill? It was sent to the gov for him to sign it back on 05/15 but it still hasnt been signed. Does he do a mass signing of bills at the end of the session?
The law doesn't go into effect until September 1, 2017. That will happen automatically if he signs it or not. The only thing that could stop it from becoming law is a veto and that is not very likely at all.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Flightmare »

Kolamer wrote:So does anyone know what the deal is with this bill? It was sent to the gov for him to sign it back on 05/15 but it still hasnt been signed. Does he do a mass signing of bills at the end of the session?
The governor has 10 days once a bill is sent to his office to sign, veto, or allow it to become law without his signature....unless it is within 10 days of final adjournment. In which case, the governor has 20 days to sign, veto, or allow it to become law without his signature.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/about-us/bill/
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Reduction of fee? Not sure I see much of a reduction. I'm dirt poor from property tax on land that doesn't earn its keep and can't be sold. Nobody wants it.

But if I don't pay my State property tax on time, I'll lose my license. This year, that "annual renewal" fee in the form of property tax is $18,300 with no hope of an equitable, fair appeal.

I guess I really like my little pea-shooter.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

treadlightly wrote:Reduction of fee? Not sure I see much of a reduction. I'm dirt poor from property tax on land that doesn't earn its keep and can't be sold. Nobody wants it.

But if I don't pay my State property tax on time, I'll lose my license. This year, that "annual renewal" fee in the form of property tax is $18,300 with no hope of an equitable, fair appeal.
That sounds like a good reason to get a license from a reciprocal state instead.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

tx85
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tx85 »

Gov. Abbott just signed SB16 at a gun range in Austin.

Article in Texas Tribune:
Gov. Greg Abbott on Friday signed a bill into law significantly reducing the cost to get a license to carry a handgun, making Texas one of the states with the lowest fee in the nation.

"The right to bear arms is something that is synonymous with the state of Texas. We are proud to expand the right to bear arms by lowering the cost of what you have to pay in order to get a license to carry," Abbott said. "Texans' ability to bear arms is going to be even bolder today than it's ever been before."
NRA ILA:
Abbott said he was pleased with the bill, "Texas is known for its strong Second Amendment rights laws, and I’m proud to further strengthen those rights today," he said. "No law abiding Texan should be priced out of the ability to exercise their Second Amendment rights. I’d like to thank Senators Nichols and Huffman, and Rep. Phil King for their work in expanding liberty in Texas."

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

tx85 wrote:Gov. Abbott just signed SB16 at a gun range in Austin.
:anamatedbanana :thewave :hurry: :woohoo
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

Ah, I was wondering if that was "The Range", I thought I recognized the lanes from the few mins I spent there, now I recognize the display. Nice...
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

nobius

Post by nobius »

Any word on what address change fee will be? I was shocked when it cost almost twice as much to change my address for my CHL as it was form my DL.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

nobius wrote:Any word on what address change fee will be? I was shocked when it cost almost twice as much to change my address for my CHL as it was form my DL.
There is nothing in SB16 that changes the fee for duplicate license.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”