HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by ELB »

z_g_yang wrote:Airport secured area is part of 46.03. Does this mean this Bill allow carrying into secured area of airport?
Going by memory here, but...no.

It just means that the State of Texas will not prosecute you for doing it. Federal regs prohibit bringing a firearm (and probably all other weapons) into the secure area of an airport, but I believe the penalty is civil, i.e. a fine ($10K IIRC). I suspect you could also be banned from flying commercial again, but less certain about that.

My understanding is that when TSA or whoever detects a firearm, they call the local police to come deal with the person who has it. In New York, New Jersey, etc unless you have a license from that state (and from NYC if the airport is in NYC), you go straight to jail. In Texas, since the last Legislature, law enforcement is required to give you (assuming you have an LTC) a chance to take yourself and the gun out of the secure area/away from the checkpoint without arrest.

It appears under HB560, if it passes, local law enforcement will no longer have any reason to arrest you for simply having the gun in the secured area.

Or so it appears to me at the moment, I'm still studying all the parts of this thing.
Last edited by ELB on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Working my way through the bill in detail...

From HB 560 as filed:
SECTION 1. Section 30.06(e), Penal Code, is amended to read as follows:
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity [and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035].
The part in bold italics is in strike-thru font in the bill text.

30.07 has identical language, but it is not amended by the bill. If I understand this correctly, then open carry on certain governmental premises would still be illegal if those places fall into 46.03 or 46.035? (e.g. schools and institutions of higher learning?)
Last edited by ELB on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

jsclark12
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jsclark12 »

I emailed a thank you to Rep Springer and gave him my full support.

I also sent an email to my State Rep and Senator asking them to support this piece of legislation.

I plan to write letters over the coming months as well as keep emailing.

How squeaky of a wheel should I be before my correspondence hits the trash bin?

Josh
Josh
Joshua 24:15

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

Email sent to my (R)ep. Thank you Mr. Cotton so much for this board and threads like this. I will continue to monitor activity here and answer calls to action. I also appreciate the discussion by members more knowledgable than me on subjects like this.

ETA:
I also emailed a thank you to Rep. Springer and told him I've contacted my Rep. asking him to support the bill.

Topic author
mr1337
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mr1337 »

ELB wrote:Working my way through the bill in detail...

From HB 560 as filed:
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity [and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035].

30.07 has identical language, but it is not amended by the bill. If I understand this correctly, then open carry on certain governmental premises and places if those places fall into 46.03 or 46.035? (e.g. schools and institutions of higher learning?)
The bill would exempt LTC holders from 46.03, and it also repeals much of 46.035.

Code: Select all

SECTION 11.  The following provisions are repealed:
  	             (1)  Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
  	             (2)  Sections 411.203 and 411.204, Government Code;
  	             (3)  Section 52.062(b), Labor Code;
  	             (4)  Section 46.03(f), Penal Code, as amended by
  	Chapters 437 (H.B. 910) and 1001 (H.B. 554), Acts of the 84th
  	Legislature, Regular Session, 2015;
  	             (5)  Sections 46.035(b), (c), (f)(1), (i), (k), and
  	(l), Penal Code; and
  	             (6)  Section 46.035(h-1), Penal Code, as added by
  	Chapters 1214 (H.B. 1889) and 1222 (H.B. 2300), Acts of the 80th
  	Legislature, Regular Session, 2007.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

ELB

Post by ELB »

mr1337 wrote:

From HB 560 as filed:

30.07 has identical language, but it is not amended by the bill. If I understand this correctly, then open carry on certain governmental premises and places if those places fall into 46.03 or 46.035? (e.g. schools and institutions of higher learning?)
The bill would exempt LTC holders from 46.03, and it also repeals much of 46.035.

(l), Penal Code; and
Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question. Looking at it again tho, it appears that licensed open carry on colleges, universities, junior colleges etc would still be illegal, which falls in line with Mr. Cotton's earlier analysis that the campus carry stuff was left alone.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
mr1337
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mr1337 »

ELB wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

From HB 560 as filed:

(l), Penal Code; and
Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question. Looking at it again tho, it appears that licensed open carry on colleges, universities, junior colleges etc would still be illegal, which falls in line with Mr. Cotton's earlier analysis that the campus carry stuff was left alone.
That's correct, TPC 46.035(a-1) stays in place and is not repealed. That's the offense of open carrying on an institute of higher education.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

So with passage, you could conceal or open carry at primary/grade schools correct, just no OC at colleges? Don't think I would OC in a grade school (maybe dropoff at door), but it would be nice to know that it's not a crime.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

locke_n_load wrote:So with passage, you could conceal or open carry at primary/grade schools correct, just no OC at colleges? Don't think I would OC in a grade school (maybe dropoff at door), but it would be nice to know that it's not a crime.
I'd be OK with making it like a college campus, CC is fine but no OC. Then we can chip away at the OC part later.

We can expect HUGE push back from HDHV on this one.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

skavoovie

Post by skavoovie »

Faxed my (R)ep and sent a thank you email to Rep. Springer. :patriot:

Included SB16 [85(R)] in my fax to my rep, but made it very clear it was no where near as important as HB560.

TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TresHuevos »

AJSully421 wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:So with passage, you could conceal or open carry at primary/grade schools correct, just no OC at colleges? Don't think I would OC in a grade school (maybe dropoff at door), but it would be nice to know that it's not a crime.
I'd be OK with making it like a college campus, CC is fine but no OC. Then we can chip away at the OC part later.
Likewise.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

As long as I can OC up to door I'm cool with that (as is currently legal).
I prefer to OC due to the ease of carry (have to arm/disarm a lot), and I have a 2 year old. Would like to keep it in OWB holster when dropping off (may include getting out to give a hug) at grade school.
I should probably invest in [pre-paid legal] or something similar once she gets to grade school...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 5

Post by vjallen75 »

locke_n_load wrote:As long as I can OC up to door I'm cool with that (as is currently legal).
I prefer to OC due to the ease of carry (have to arm/disarm a lot), and I have a 2 year old. Would like to keep it in OWB holster when dropping off (may include getting out to give a hug) at grade school.
I should probably invest in [prepaid legal] or something similar once she gets to grade school...
My wife is of the mindset that we should never be allowed to carry in a school. She thinks only teachers should be allowed and I do not share her sentiments. If a teacher can carry I should be allowed to as well. I know I'm preaching to the choir but no one shares our thought process of protecting our family at all costs even over our own lives. A teacher could be compromised for self protection over others should certain circumstances arrive.

I am curious to hear Charles description of this bill and what this bill fully entails. I'm patiently waiting like a child on Christmas Eve
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

locke_n_load wrote:As long as I can OC up to door I'm cool with that (as is currently legal).
I should probably invest in [prepaid legal] or something similar once she gets to grade school...
That won't do any good. They only help if you use your gun, whether you fire it or not. Just carrying does not qualify as "using".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

I am totally confused as to what the passing of this bill would allow or disallow. What effect would this bill, if passed, have on the current validity of 30.06 and 30.07 signs on restaurants, apartment complexes, and other businesses?
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”