HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

tornado
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by tornado »

Flightmare wrote:
tornado wrote:Charles, that sounds wonderful. If there's anything we can do at any point to get momentum on this before the next session, count me in.

(Of course in my case it would have to be something more than 'call your reps' because although I'm not in Austin, I'm close enough that my state lege representation is deep blue.)
Helping to change that before the next session should be your priority then.
You're familiar with Austin, yes?

Changing things in the general election doesn't seem possible. It would take a pro 2A Dem and lot of us voting in that primary.

Or were you suggesting I move? ;-)

doncb
Posts in topic: 7

Post by doncb »

I don't want to come across as a Negative Nellie, but when you have a legislature that finds it more important to pass a bill about hunting hogs from balloons than a bill that actually makes sense you have to wonder what is wrong with them. I have no doubt that should a bill be introduced next session that would allow the hunting of feral squirrels from bi-planes it too would be deemed more important. Sorry, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Our so called "representatives" have already shown us what they are.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The only way to pursue "constitutional carry" is with the bill I've already written for 2019. It 1) moves all of TPC §46.035 to §46.03 so as to apply it to unlicensed carry; 2) renders LTC exempt from not only TPC §46.02, but §46.03 as well; and 3) makes anyone who can lawfully possess firearms under state and federal law eligible for a LTC. The Legislature will not pass constitutional-carry unless people are prohibited from carrying in locations currently in TPC §46.035. Removing off-limits areas for LTCs by exempting us from §§46.02 and 46.03 will give a strong incentive to get a license even though it is not required. This will give the Legislature a measure of comfort in supporting constitutional-carry.

This is the bill I'm going to promote, whether or not TSRA backs it or something else. I'm sick of HB560 being ignored for 10 years and I'm not about to support a constitutional-carry bill without providing relief for LTCs that they have deserved for years. I too am tired of "maybe next session."

Chas.
Count me in. This sounds like what needs to happen!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 1911 10MM »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The only way to pursue "constitutional carry" is with the bill I've already written for 2019. It 1) moves all of TPC §46.035 to §46.03 so as to apply it to unlicensed carry; 2) renders LTC exempt from not only TPC §46.02, but §46.03 as well; and 3) makes anyone who can lawfully possess firearms under state and federal law eligible for a LTC. The Legislature will not pass constitutional-carry unless people are prohibited from carrying in locations currently in TPC §46.035. Removing off-limits areas for LTCs by exempting us from §§46.02 and 46.03 will give a strong incentive to get a license even though it is not required. This will give the Legislature a measure of comfort in supporting constitutional-carry.

This is the bill I'm going to promote, whether or not TSRA backs it or something else. I'm sick of HB560 being ignored for 10 years and I'm not about to support a constitutional-carry bill without providing relief for LTCs that they have deserved for years. I too am tired of "maybe next session."

Chas.
That sounds awesome if it can get any support from our legislators!

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Chas.
Excellent solution
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lynyrd »

Jusme wrote:

Chas.

Please keep us updated Charles, also let us know exactly how we can help, beyond just contacting current Legislators. I want to be all in on this, and will do whatever I can. Feel free to PM, email, or even call me, to let me know what I can do. I have no doubt there are others, here, who feel the same.

This will also bring in non-LTC holders, and add more voices to, speak in the ears of the Lege.

:txflag: :clapping:
Maybe if a thousand of us showed up at the capitol and stood with Mr. Cotton, and get that on the evening news, the legislature wouldn't be so quick to push it aside.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

stash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stash »

Mr. Cotton - That is the best idea I have heard this year regarding 560/CC. I will support you and your bill to the full extent I can. It makes perfect sense.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Jusme
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jusme »

Lynyrd wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Chas.

Please keep us updated Charles, also let us know exactly how we can help, beyond just contacting current Legislators. I want to be all in on this, and will do whatever I can. Feel free to PM, email, or even call me, to let me know what I can do. I have no doubt there are others, here, who feel the same.

This will also bring in non-LTC holders, and add more voices to, speak in the ears of the Lege.

Maybe if a thousand of us showed up at the capitol and stood with Mr. Cotton, and get that on the evening news, the legislature wouldn't be so quick to push it aside.

Let me know when. I'll take off work. Also a list of reps the we can contact with extra influence, I know we will have to wait until after some elections. Plus we need to list those running, who need to be supported, or not re-elected.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 3

Post by canvasbck »

Lynyrd wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Chas.

I have an idea,

We can make up a fake antifa facebook page to fire up a bunch of real Texans and get them to come to our rally.

Oh, wait someone beat us to that one on the monument protection bill. :biggrinjester:

Seriously, I'd be in. Being the silent majority isn't working.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 1911 10MM »

Lynyrd wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Chas.
We just need a Date and Time.

seph

Post by seph »

Now if 30.06 & 30.07 was amended to remove 'by a license holder' so they apply to unlicensed carry and exempt LTC's from them, we would have it all! :evil2:

As always, thanks for everything Charles. Let us know what we can do to help when the time comes.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I emailed TSRA about this, and got a nice reply. HB560 is old legislation that has never gotten any support.

My wild guess is that legislators must look at HB560 as going too far, and CC is just eliminating government prejudice against the unlicensed.

My wild guess. TSRA didn't say that, I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning.

Edited to add: I am going to sign up for TSRA. I may not agree with them on this point of strategy and timing, but I think overall they do a lot of good.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

treadlightly wrote:I emailed TSRA about this, and got a nice reply. HB560 is old legislation that has never gotten any support.

My wild guess is that legislators must look at HB560 as going too far, and CC is just eliminating government prejudice against the unlicensed.

My wild guess. TSRA didn't say that, I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning.

Edited to add: I am going to sign up for TSRA. I may not agree with them on this point of strategy and timing, but I think overall they do a lot of good.
When did you email TSRA? What exactly was the response?

Chas.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Chas.
The Good Lord bless you Charles.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
treadlightly wrote:When did you email TSRA? What exactly was the response?

Chas.
Charles, I emailed TSRA late yesterday and found a nice response from Ms. Tripp this morning.

When I get back to my office I'll pm you.

I should add she was most respectful of the eminent Mr. Cotton's efforts.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”