SB 288 - Motorcycle "lane splitting" bill

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

Re: SB 288 - Motorcycle "lane splitting" bill

Post by nightmare69 »

Texas doesn't play when someone intentionally causes a rider to wreck. This guy got 15yrs for his actions. Check out the video.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.khou.com ... /428463526
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

I'm for the option to lane split. I didn't used to be, but I see if it's used rationally, it's OK.

Summer traffic at 20 MPH with the temps soaring well over 100 on the slab was a nightmare on my first Goldwing, a 2002.

The overload fans on Goldwings reverse the air flow, pooting hot air out the front vents. It's really hot air even if the engine is only a few degrees above normal. If it dumped that heat on the rider future archeologists would marvel at the occasional Pompeii victim on fossilized highways.

Older Goldwings don't have powerful enough fans to overcome slipstream, and none of them will activate their overtemp fans over 20 MPH because it's counterproductive.

On my old 2002, if the fans came on while riding 20 it didn't cool anything. At 20 the fans perfectly balanced incoming ram air pressure and engine temperature would rise. In fact, there was a recall on that year to remap the fuel injection, to clamp off fuel at near zero throttle and 15-20 MPH. The recall worked, but my 2015 Goldwing has a better solution - cooling fans that spool up like the reverse thrusters on Al Gore's what-carbon-footprint jet liner.

Slow me down on a hot day, beware. When the engine control system calls for cooling assist, I'll peel the paint off what's in front of me. No hard feelings, it's just what happens. :biggrinjester:

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

nightmare69 wrote:Texas doesn't play when someone intentionally causes a rider to wreck. This guy got 15yrs for his actions. Check out the video.

Yep, it was a relief to see the outcome in that case :thumbs2:

If lanesplitting ever passes, I'm putting the section # of the traffic code on the back of my top box in vinyl letters :-) bbbbbbb
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

As a once upon a time rider I quit street riding because too many people were trying (or so it seemed) to run me down. I really enjoyed riding but the balance of the joy of riding vs the joy of living convinced me that putting my life in the hands of distracted drivers was not wise. So for those of you that continue to ride I understand. Living in Texas now I also do not plan on riding anything on the street that is not air conditioned (except my ATV's which we ride on private property).
For many years I have attributed most bike accidents to careless auto drivers but in recent times I have personally seen two fatalities on bikes that were simple loss of control of the bikers. In both cases it involved what should have been easy riding without any obvious risk. I don't know if they were intoxicated but neither was wearing a helmet or other significant safety clothes.
As far as lane splitting, I have no opinion on it except that I could see the potential for some road rage type situations for drivers stuck in traffic. What are the motorcycle cops doing now?
Drive safe everyone. It is great fun but also a definite risk.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:Texas doesn't play when someone intentionally causes a rider to wreck. This guy got 15yrs for his actions. Check out the video.

I was happy to see this outcome, but there are probably many more incidents where the person walks away Scott-free.

Some drivers have the attitude that they own the road and that cyclists don't have the same rights as people driving other vehicles.
I know that motorcycles are harder to see than a car, but it still can not fathom why someone would intentionally do something to injure another person
whether they are in a car, motorcycle, bicycle or a pedestrian. That is one reason that the cyclist must be extra vigilant when out on the streets.

Sometimes when people were leaving to go home, I used to warn them, partially tongue in cheek "Watch Out For the Weirdos".
NRA Endowment Member

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mxrdad »

Bigger things to worry about; I won't get angry if I see a bike lane splitting. More power to them. But one should proceed with extreme caution, many out there will intentionally "teach you a lesson". Concrete wins every time.
Just some guy's opinion.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I don't ride a bike, but I know quite a few people who do. With that said I support lane splitting within reason. I can understand limits like limited speed over stalled or slow moving traffic. My problem with lane splitting is when you have a squid on sport bike w/o any protective gear doing stunts and dancing on the bike while going between two lanes of traffic that traveling at 75+mph (I have seen this in person on the interstate north of Lubbock Texas). For the record a squid is a sport bike rider w/o protective gear doing something stupid. I would like to point out these people are breaking the law and will continue to do so which means letting law abiding bikers lane split will actually help them and the public.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I agree with the punishment. However. The motorcycle driver should face punishment also.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I'm driving on a freeway in Paris, France for the first time.
It's maybe 1998. Traffic is very heavy all 6 lanes are almost bumper to bumper, but moving at maybe 70 kph.
On the striped line between lanes convoys of rice rocket motorcycles are riding single file at maybe 120 kph.

It scared the bejesus out of me.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WTR wrote:I agree with the punishment. However. The motorcycle driver should face punishment also.
Passing in no passing zone and possibly speeding is all I see.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

nightmare69 wrote:
WTR wrote:I agree with the punishment. However. The motorcycle driver should face punishment also.
Passing in a no passing zone endangers other people. Or doesn't that count with a motorcycle?

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WTR wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Passing in a no passing zone endangers other people. Or doesn't that count with a motorcycle?
I don't see how the rider was endangering anyone in a cage. A motorcycle isn't going to run me off the road. It doesn't matter as a class C traffic infraction doesn't give you the right to swerve into them causing a wreck. The old man should have called the police and not committed a F/1. Now you have a 69yr old man doing 15yrs.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

nightmare69 wrote:
WTR wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
I don't see how the rider was endangering anyone in a cage. A motorcycle isn't going to run me off the road. It doesn't matter as a class C traffic infraction doesn't give you the right to swerve into them causing a wreck. The old man should have called the police and not committed a F/1. Now you have a 69yr old man doing 15yrs.

I have two friend who were hit head on by a small motor cycle that had just pulled wide out a parking lot. Both had to be taken by ambulance to the ER with injuries and the 70s Couger ( with long nose) was totaled. Both cycle riders were killed instantly.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Additionally, what part of " I agree with the punishment " is hard to understand?

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”