SB635 - I'm looking at you Waller County

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

SB635 - I'm looking at you Waller County

Post by Papa_Tiger »

SB 635 Author: Huffines
Last Action: 01/27/2017 S Filed
Caption: Relating to the award of court costs and attorney's fees in certain actions challenging an order, ordinance, or similar measure of a political subdivision or the failure of an officer of a political subdivision to perform certain actions.

I wonder if this is one of the bills that Texas Carry (Terry Holcomb) was referring to about fixing some of the issues with fines for signs and the enforcement of it. This puts the financial burden on the political subdivision if they lose a preemption case.

KLB

Re: SB635 - I'm looking at you Waller County

Post by KLB »

The latest in a long and continuing struggle to get our political masters to adhere to the very law they impose on us. A never-ending struggle, I expect.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

The fundamental problem remains that the taxpayers pay the legal bills. That's like making everybody in the town register as sex offendors if the police chief rapes a five year old girl. :banghead:

If the legislature cared about the people more than fellow politicians, the fines would be paid out of the salaries and pensions of the officials who allow the signs to be posted. Also, any hired guns who enforce those signs would be stripped of their security guard or peace officer licenses and any government pensions.

Let's see who the legislature sides with. Good citizens or evil tyrants? Sam Houston or Santa Ana?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This bill wouldn't hep Holcomb. It creates a private cause of action to force officials to follow the law. It's a very good bill.

Chas.

CJD

Post by CJD »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This bill wouldn't hep Holcomb. It creates a private cause of action to force officials to follow the law. It's a very good bill.

Chas.
Does this apply to 30.06/07, or something different? I.e. Should it be added to the bills list?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

CJD wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:This bill wouldn't hep Holcomb. It creates a private cause of action to force officials to follow the law. It's a very good bill.

Chas.
Does this apply to 30.06/07, or something different? I.e. Should it be added to the bills list?
It would not apply to 30.06/30.07. It would apply to local ordinances and rules that conflict with state preemption laws. If a city/county passed an ordinance prohibiting the carrying of handguns LTCs in parks, then it would apply.

I'm not tracking it because it does is not a "gun bill." It would apply to any action that comes within its scope.

Chas.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”