HB560 and HB1911 in Same Session

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB560 and HB1911 in Same Session

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Russell wrote:I see zero chance unlicensed individuals will be permitted to carry into school functions and the other "high risk (in their minds)" areas.

I predict if everything goes well, unlicensed folks will be permitted to carry at a few places, mainly private businesses, while licensed will be permitted to carry in many more areas.
Actually, I can't think of any valid reason why the government should restrict carry by anyone on private property (including private businesses). If I can carry on my property without a license why can't I extend that same right to a friend who is otherwise legally able to own a gun?

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

ralewis wrote:
Roger Howard wrote:We have spent enough political capital on open carry. We need to spend that capital this year working on removing restrictions on LTC. After the OCT crowd and their actions last session, I personally don't think that the legislature would pass constitutional carry any time soon.
:thumbs2:

If it was up to me, I'd rather see HB560 passed first.
I think if we want Constitutional Carry passing HB560 is the quickest path to getting it.

It's easy, with hindsight, to see who shouldn't vote, speak, wander the streets freely, or carry a gun. Unfortunately, it's only hindsight and due process that avoids prior restraint and harm to civil rights.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I can speak only in generalities. I have not had time to analyze the leg. counsel version of HB1911 that was filed today. I will try to do so tomorrow, but I may be limited in what I can say publicly. To say a lot of work is going on would be an understatement!

Many, in fact most, controversial bills that pass do not pass in their as-filed form. They are amended in committee or on the floor. I do not see HB1911 ultimately allowing unlicensed people to carry in many areas that currently are set out in TPC §46.035. If HB560 and HB1911were to pass, then I would expect to see the locations in TPC §46.035 moved to TPC §46.03, then exempt LTCs from §46.03. TPC §46.02 would be amended to remove handguns from the general prohibition that currently exists.

I wish I could say more, but this is a public board. Please don't PM or email asking for more details.

Chas.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Thank you, Sir.
:txflag: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I can speak only in generalities. I have not had time to analyze the leg. counsel version of HB1911 that was filed today. I will try to do so tomorrow, but I may be limited in what I can say publicly. To say a lot of work is going on would be an understatement!

Many, in fact most, controversial bills that pass do not pass in their as-filed form. They are amended in committee or on the floor. I do not see HB1911 ultimately allowing unlicensed people to carry in many areas that currently are set out in TPC §46.035. If HB560 and HB1911were to pass, then I would expect to see the locations in TPC §46.035 moved to TPC §46.03, then exempt LTCs from §46.03. TPC §46.02 would be amended to remove handguns from the general prohibition that currently exists.

I wish I could say more, but this is a public board. Please don't PM or email asking for more details.

Chas.
I have analyzed the as-filed version of HB1911. As a result, the TFC position on the Bill has changed from "Support" to "Neutral," pending a number of amendments that must be made in committee to make this a good bill. I suspect these amendments will be made in committee, but that's not a guarantee.

Chas.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I can speak only in generalities. I have not had time to analyze the leg. counsel version of HB1911 that was filed today. I will try to do so tomorrow, but I may be limited in what I can say publicly. To say a lot of work is going on would be an understatement!

Chas.
I have analyzed the as-filed version of HB1911. As a result, the TFC position on the Bill has changed from "Support" to "Neutral," pending a number of amendments that must be made in committee to make this a good bill. I suspect these amendments will be made in committee, but that's not a guarantee.

Chas.

TFC opposes a bill that TSRA supports?

:headscratch
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

steveincowtown wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Chas.

TFC opposes a bill that TSRA supports?

:headscratch
My updated post was wrong; the TFC position on the Bill is "Neutral." As I said in my first post on this Bill, amendments are in the works for a committee substitute that will take care of concerns about unintended consequences.

It is indeed rare for TFC and TSRA positions on bills to be different, but it does happen on occasion.

Chas.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I was surprised to receive email from TSRA supporting "Constitutional Carry" in this legislative session. Hopefully HB1911 is not TSRA's main legislative focus where time and resources are expended to the detriment of HB560.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”