Couple of things about HB 1911

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
doncb
Posts in topic: 1

Couple of things about HB 1911

Post by doncb »

I was reading the text of HB 1911 and came across a couple of things.

30.06 / .07 would be amended to include unlicensed carry. A good change is that 30.06 signs would have to be posted at ALL entrances just like 30.07.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, licensed hospitals and nursing homes would be off limits whether posted or not. Has it always been this way? I wasn't aware that hospitals were off limits like that.

"(b)A person who is a license holder or otherwise legally authorized to carry a handgun commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in a shoulder or belt holster......

(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing
facility licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the person has written authorization of the
hospital or nursing facility administration, as appropriate"
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

AJSully421

Re: Couple of things about HB 1911

Post by AJSully421 »

46.035 (i) says it has to be posted.

We do this every week.....
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

The bill text you are reading is most likely not current. If you got the text from the Texas Legislature's website there is a committee substitute that is not on there yet. Once the bill is voted out of committee the official text of the new version will be released.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

So, I'm going to a (recently 30.06 + 30.07 posted, previously not posted) hospital today. There are not yet any signs that can be construed as 30.05 signs other than a No Smoking & No Tobacco Products signs. (I assume they'll post 30.05 rifle signs next if unlicensed carry passes)

So today, I must leave my handgun in the car and carry my concealed long gun.

If Constitutional Carry passes, would 30.05 apply even if no sign is posted other than 30.06/30.07 because I'm supposed to assume they mean long arms too and ...gunbuster signs then have force of law ... or 30.06 or 30.07 signs then will apply to long arms and objects not covered by the licensing laws (objects other than handguns), will that disable me carrying my long gun, knife, pepper spray, hickory cane, too?

At my age, I'm in hospitals more and more, that's why I was praying for 560 and not all that much a const carry advocate, but I'll go with the flow I guess.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

NotRPB wrote:So, I'm going to a (recently 30.06 + 30.07 posted, previously not posted) hospital today. There are not yet any signs that can be construed as 30.05 signs other than a No Smoking & No Tobacco Products signs. (I assume they'll post 30.05 rifle signs next if unlicensed carry passes)

So today, I must leave my handgun in the car and carry my concealed long gun.

If Constitutional Carry passes, would 30.05 apply even if no sign is posted other than 30.06/30.07 because I'm supposed to assume they mean long arms too and ...gunbuster signs then have force of law ... or 30.06 or 30.07 signs then will apply to long arms and objects not covered by the licensing laws (objects other than handguns), will that disable me carrying my long gun, knife, pepper spray, hickory cane, too?

At my age, I'm in hospitals more and more, that's why I was praying for 560 and not all that much a const carry advocate, but I'll go with the flow I guess.
IANAL, but it seems like a huge stretch to say that a 30.06 sign gives you notice that long guns are not allowed. Might as well apply that to every other potential weapon if you are going down that path. And that would require you to walk in completely naked with your hands tied securely behind your back (since any article of clothing could be used as a weapon). But that would violate other laws.

I'd say you run the same legal risk walking past a gunbuster sign as the woman who carries a pack of cigarettes in her purse past a "no tobacco products" sign.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm not trying to discourage discussion of HB1911 by any stretch of the imagination. However, analyzing the impact of the as-filed version on where one can carry and what is required to prohibit carrying of handguns by LTC and those without an LTC is essentially an academic discussion. The committee substitute will change important aspects of those topics.

Chas.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I was looking at HB1911 status on the TLO site, and happened to wander into the Fiscal Note on the bill (as filed, not as substituted). It contained the following bit of info:
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) reports the per-applicant cost to administer the license to carry (LTC) program totals $27, which accounts for background checks required by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the State. DPS also reports that the cost of these background checks are paid for by an applicant's LTC application fee. Of this fee amount, the agency retains $17 per application with these amounts counted towards the agency's Appropriated Receipts and the remainder remitted to the FBI. The remaining portion of each application fee is deposited into General Revenue Fund 01.
I had never seen the actual cost of a LTC before.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”