No state guns

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

No state guns

Post by ELB »

HCR 51, to designate the 1847 Colt Walker as the official handgun of Texas, and SCR 8, to designate the cannon as the state gun of Texas, don't look like they are going to make it.

HCR 51 was filed, went straight to the House committee on Culture, Recreation, and Tourism, and hasn't budged since. No hearing, nuttin'.
SCR 8 got a hearing in the Senate committee, passed the Senate, and was sent to the House, where it was parked on the shelf next to HCR 51 without further action.
USAF 1982-2005

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 3

Re: No state guns

Post by locke_n_load »

Well considering that the 1847 Colt Walker is not considered a Handgun per Texas Penal Code...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

locke_n_load wrote:Well considering that the 1847 Colt Walker is not considered a Handgun per Texas Penal Code...
None other than Ralph Waldo Emerson observed that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. :rolll

Of course, he never explained how to identify foolish consistencies. I can only surmise that consistencies are foolish if they undermine the Lefty narrative. Since I don't see your point doing that, your call for consistency is probably fine. (I'm not implying anything about your POV, just indulging my penchant for trivia.)

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

KLB wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:Well considering that the 1847 Colt Walker is not considered a Handgun per Texas Penal Code...
None other than Ralph Waldo Emerson observed that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. :rolll

Of course, he never explained how to identify foolish consistencies. I can only surmise that consistencies are foolish if they undermine the Lefty narrative. Since I don't see your point doing that, your call for consistency is probably fine. (I'm not implying anything about your POV, just indulging my penchant for trivia.)
I was just poking fun at the nuances of Texas Penal Code and the legislature. How can you designate an item "The Official Handgun of Texas" when it is not a "handgun" per the very code that they have created? It's ironic.
(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:
(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.
(5) "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Sounds like it is a handgun, but not a firearm.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Does anyone else find it ironic that the code literally states that "Firearm does not include...........an antique or curio firearm"
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

canvasbck wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic that the code literally states that "Firearm does not include...........an antique or curio firearm"
Yeah, I read over it a few times and realized that yesterday. Good job whoever wrote that bill...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

As I read the code excepted above, it does NOT say that a firearm made before 1899 is not a "firearm" (for the purposes that chapter).

It says that a firearm made before 1899 AND that has an integral folding knife blade or other characteristic made illegal by that chapter.

It's a two part definition, it has to have one of the "illegal characteristics" plus either [be made before 1899] OR [be a replica of a pre-1899 firearm AND not shoot center or rimfire ammo].

I don't know what the other characteristics made illegal by the chapter are, but sounds like for an 1847 Colt Walker not to count as a firearm and a handgun under Texas law it would have to have an integral bayonet or some other illegal characteristic.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”