Tax Free 2nd Amendment Items

This is the forum for topics directly related to desired changes in the upcoming legislative session.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 1

Tax Free 2nd Amendment Items

Post by TEX »

They did away with poll taxes quite some time ago because the courts said you could not tax the exercise of a right. I would have to agree although I personally would have no problem with a basic intelligence test to vote - except who would draft the test (big problem).

So, why do we have to pay sales tax on the purchase of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories? Is it not a tax on the exercising of a right guaranteed to us under the 2nd Amendment?

I sent my state representative a hand written letter concerning this last year and got exactly naught, nil, zilch, zero, zip, goose egg, nada, back as a reply from my elected public servant whose salary is paid with my tax dollars. Needless to say last vote he will get from me.

Thoughts and comments?

What would it take to get this on a ballot or voted into law?
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

Flightmare

Re: Tax Free 2nd Amendment Items

Post by Flightmare »

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=86854
SB133 (Creighton) Relating to an exemption from the sales tax for firearms and hunting supplies for a limited period.
Impact: Creates a sales tax exemption period for guns and hunting supplies.
Position on Bill: Neutral.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

The poll tax, was a tax you had to pay in order to vote. You don't have to pay a tax in order to exercise your 2nd amendment rights (baring the exception of things like NFA items). The tax you are paying are for the goods and items which just happen to be 2nd Amend. related. A much better argument would be to get rid of the fee(or 'tax') for things like LTC which I believe should already be covered by the 'right to bare' arms.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Flightmare wrote:viewtopic.php?f=141&t=86854
SB133 (Creighton) Relating to an exemption from the sales tax for firearms and hunting supplies for a limited period.
Impact: Creates a sales tax exemption period for guns and hunting supplies.
Position on Bill: Neutral.

I think the OP is more interested in a permanent tax abatement for the purchase of firearms, ammo, etc.

I don't think we will ever see firearms not taxed, it brings in too much revenue. While the ability to possess firearms is a legal right, there is nothing in the Constitution that says they cannot be taxed. It would, in my opinion follow along the same lines as taxing the written word, taxing the sale of books, magazines and newspapers is legal. Even though we have the right to "free" speech.

I do think that my firearms should be legal dependents on my income taxes though, since I have to feed, shelter, and protect them. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Jusme wrote:I do think that my firearms should be legal dependents on my income taxes though, since I have to feed, shelter, and protect them. :biggrinjester:
:iagree: These dependents eat a lot don't they? A guy could go broke with the upkeep
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Unalienable rights. Lots of things shouldn't be taxed then. Let's get rid of that breathing tax which says that from your first breath you must pay for Obamacare. That at least we can change.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

rotor wrote:Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Unalienable rights. Lots of things shouldn't be taxed then. Let's get rid of that breathing tax which says that from your first breath you must pay for Obamacare. That at least we can change.
I could buy a lot more firearms and ammo, as well as make significantly more in charitable contributions, if my annual health care plan cost hadn't grown from 9k a year to 25k a year. Bring back "affordable" health care!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

rotor wrote:Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Unalienable rights. Lots of things shouldn't be taxed then. Let's get rid of that breathing tax which says that from your first breath you must pay for Obamacare. That at least we can change.
There no excuse for not repealing the Obamacurse tax in Trump's first 100 days, if not his first 25.

What the "reform" of Obamacare will look like may take a while to iron out the details, but there's no reason not to ax the tax while they're working on the reform, if they don't have the stones for a full repeal right out of the gate.
ABIDE

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Pariah3j wrote:The poll tax, was a tax you had to pay in order to vote. You don't have to pay a tax in order to exercise your 2nd amendment rights (baring the exception of things like NFA items). The tax you are paying are for the goods and items which just happen to be 2nd Amend. related.
So the feds enacting a 11% excise tax on bibles and crucifixes wouldn't violate the first amendment?
ABIDE

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

The Dude wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:The poll tax, was a tax you had to pay in order to vote. You don't have to pay a tax in order to exercise your 2nd amendment rights (baring the exception of things like NFA items). The tax you are paying are for the goods and items which just happen to be 2nd Amend. related.
So the feds enacting a 11% excise tax on bibles and crucifixes wouldn't violate the first amendment?
A specific tax on them, I would say yes. General tax that gets attached to everything (aka sales tax), I don't think so. I'm not aware of any special firearms specific tax you pay on guns or ammo, just sales tax.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

To dream the impossible dream...

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Dude wrote:
Or more directly, a tax on church attendance. Something reasonable, like $100 per person, per service.

If I recall correctly, I believe that excessive taxes on guns and ammo have been struck down in the past on precisely this Constitutional basis.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

Pariah3j wrote:
The Dude wrote:
A specific tax on them, I would say yes. General tax that gets attached to everything (aka sales tax), I don't think so. I'm not aware of any special firearms specific tax you pay on guns or ammo, just sales tax.
Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET) is a tax imposed by Chapter 32 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 4181) on the sale of firearms and ammunition
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

yodajim

Post by yodajim »

I do think that my firearms should be legal dependents on my income taxes though, since I have to feed, shelter, and protect them.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

yodajim wrote:I do think that my firearms should be legal dependents on my income taxes though, since I have to feed, shelter, and protect them.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
And you have to take them to the g̶u̶n̶s̶m̶i̶t̶h̶ doctor when they get sick!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “2017 Legislative Wish List”