This is extra wishful...51% changes

This is the forum for topics directly related to desired changes in the upcoming legislative session.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
HootHoot
Posts in topic: 1

This is extra wishful...51% changes

Post by HootHoot »

Any chance we can have the 51% law repealed in light of Orlando? Be nice if I could carry when I'm DD anyway and not drinking. "Designated carrier" if you will?

Now, more realistically, can we have this dropped from being a full-blown felony, at least only being a felony if you're caught drinking and carrying?

I ask this as someone who has personally encountered at least one poorly placed 51% sign in a restaurant that was not, in fact, a 51% establishment per TABC. Perks of living in Austin, I guess.

Flightmare

Re: This is extra wishful...51% changes

Post by Flightmare »

HootHoot wrote:Any chance we can have the 51% law repealed in light of Orlando? Be nice if I could carry when I'm DD anyway and not drinking. "Designated carrier" if you will?

Now, more realistically, can we have this dropped from being a full-blown felony, at least only being a felony if you're caught drinking and carrying?

I ask this as someone who has personally encountered at least one poorly placed 51% sign in a restaurant that was not, in fact, a 51% establishment per TABC. Perks of living in Austin, I guess.
Designated Defender
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I'd love to see this changed. I've had two instances (that I know of) where I carried inside a 51% location and didn't see the sign until I was leaving. May have had grounds for a defense but still was the in violation. One was a wine store in Gruene. Have never seen a liquor store posted so didn't occur to me that they had wine tasting, hence on site consumption. The other was like many restaurants that also have a bar. Never occurred to me until I saw the sign after lunch.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Rhino1 wrote:I'd love to see this changed. I've had two instances (that I know of) where I carried inside a 51% location and didn't see the sign until I was leaving. May have had grounds for a defense but still was the in violation. One was a wine store in Gruene. Have never seen a liquor store posted so didn't occur to me that they had wine tasting, hence on site consumption. The other was like many restaurants that also have a bar. Never occurred to me until I saw the sign after lunch.
To have a 51% sign, the wine store would need to make at least 51% of their sales on the CONSUMPTION of alcohol. I don't know of any wine stores that do this, maybe it was a wine bar.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I do not think guns and alcohol mix - ever. But imho 51% is a not the best way to go about it. There has to be a more sensible way that can pass through the legislature. I agree about the frustration of being in an establishment yet I'm prohibited from carrying as I don't drink. Where this is the biggest problem is when it is tied to a vendor selling in a non prohibited place (think city or county owned venues) but because the license is tied to the vendor the entire premises is now 51% - even if it is being rented by some other group and alcohol isn't being sold. :banghead:
This needs to be fixed definitively!
Ron
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Repealing the 51% prohibition as a stand-alone bill has no chance of passing. As part of repealing off-limits areas in a comprehensive bill, it can pass. It could well be that it would include a ban on drinking while carrying in a 51% location.

Chas.

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

Charles beat me with his own points I was going to interject. I was just listening to Episode #16 of his podcast from June. It's a good listen [of course] and he speaks directly to your point.

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ng-grounds
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Repealing the 51% prohibition as a stand-alone bill has no chance of passing. As part of repealing off-limits areas in a comprehensive bill, it can pass. It could well be that it would include a ban on drinking while carrying in a 51% location.

Chas.
I dont see a problem with that and could certainly live with it. :cheers2:
Just some guy's opinion.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Repealing the 51% prohibition as a stand-alone bill has no chance of passing. As part of repealing off-limits areas in a comprehensive bill, it can pass. It could well be that it would include a ban on drinking while carrying in a 51% location.

Chas.
Would be strange to be able to carry at a bar and grill (like Chili's) with a beer but not at a real bar. Does it not lead into some possible poison amendment to make it illegal to carry and have any alcohol anywhere?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

twomillenium wrote:To have a 51% sign, the wine store would need to make at least 51% of their sales on the CONSUMPTION of alcohol. I don't know of any wine stores that do this, maybe it was a wine bar.
The problem with this is that the TABC application doesn't ask the question that way and the law says the TABC determination. The application just asks for the percentage of sales from alcoholic beverages and then checks to see if the license is for on-premise consumption. Many places that sell for on and off premise consumption have no realistic way to determine the split between the two.
Steve Rothstein

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I agree, that particular law should be changed. If you don't drink you should not be rendered defenseless.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

4WG 2WB

Post by 4WG 2WB »

That sounds reasonable, especially if the new law applies to everybody. LTC, LEO, MIL, FED
Four wheels good.
Two wheels better.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

srothstein wrote:
twomillenium wrote:To have a 51% sign, the wine store would need to make at least 51% of their sales on the CONSUMPTION of alcohol. I don't know of any wine stores that do this, maybe it was a wine bar.
The problem with this is that the TABC application doesn't ask the question that way and the law says the TABC determination. The application just asks for the percentage of sales from alcoholic beverages and then checks to see if the license is for on-premise consumption. Many places that sell for on and off premise consumption have no realistic way to determine the split between the two.
I have never seen a wine or liquor store that "sells" anything for on premises consumption. I've been in many with blue signs that offer samples. Are any stores that offer samples required to get an on premises license?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Wall
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Wall »

Designated drivers going to a bar should stay in the car. :lol: I've seen too many normally passive people get mean, nasty and obnoxious when drinking. I would feel more comfortable knowing they weren't carrying a firearm personally. They could do away with the signs, but not allow carrying while in a bar. I think everyone knows what a bar is. An alcoholic beverage drinking establishment.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

My pub crawling days are long behind me, but there are times I'd like to go someplace for entertainment where alcohol is served. Some outfits apparently contract out the bar services, meaning the company that sells the drinks definitely earns over 51% of their income from alcohol sales. This makes the entire place off-limits. I'd like to see that rule changed.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “2017 Legislative Wish List”