HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 30

Re: HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by ScottDLS »

Per the Legislature tracking website, it's signed. Tomorrow there may be a signing ceremony at the Alamo, but it will be like the the giant check that lottery hands out when you win the Powerball....it's not the one you take to the bank and deposit.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 13

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:29 pm Per the Legislature tracking website, it's signed. Tomorrow there may be a signing ceremony at the Alamo, but it will be like the the giant check that lottery hands out when you win the Powerball....it's not the one you take to the bank and deposit.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grayling813 »

TSRA email:

Wonderful news from Governor Abbott this afternoon! Officially, HB 1927 Permitless Carry was signed today, but will be also part of a larger bill signing tomorrow.

TSRA is headed down to the signing at the Alamo for the bill signings of :

HB 2622-2A Sanctuary State (Representative Holland),

HB 1927-Permitless Carry (Representative Schaeffer),

HB 1500- 2A Protections during Disasters/States of Emergencies (Representative Hefner),

HB 957-Texas Suppressors (Representative Oliverson),

SB 18-2A Protections during Disasters/States of Emergencies (Senator Creighton)

SB 19- 2A Anti-Discrimination - the state can no longer do business with private businesses who discriminate against the gun industry (Senator Schwertner)

SB 20- The Hotel bill-which requires hotels to allow you to carry concealed directly to your room or coming from your room to you car (Senator Campbell).

SB 550- The LTC holster bill that allows those who wish to carry openly, to choose the holster that suits them best as opposed to current law which requires either a shoulder holster or a belt holster. (Senator Springer)

We are thoroughly delighted that our Governor is signing all of these bills tomorrow.

Thank you again to all of you who worked so hard to get these bills passed. Congratulations to you ALL!

As always, if you have questions or comments, do hit "reply" to this email and it will come straight to my inbox! I am always here for you!

Thank you all again!!!!!!
--------------

Andi Turner
Legislative Director
TSRA

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Syntyr »

Yep Outstanding!

And there is much gnashing of teeth already!

Also, Governor signed HB 957 the Suppressor Freedom act. Now we just have to wait for the court case to settle it!

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Syntyr wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 pm Also, Governor signed HB 957 the Suppressor Freedom act. Now we just have to wait for the court case to settle it!
I really do like that legal method of challenging Wickard V Filburn. It keeps a citizen from bearing the legal brunt and cost of such a challenge. Doing it that way, the state of Texas can throw their legal weight at it.

Much better IMO than the Kentucky version, and the resulting legal disaster for those guys that were 'caught' illegally having suppressors.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Ruark »

Hopefully we're moving another inch closer to buying a suppressor at Academy for 39.95.
-Ruark

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a question about the implementation of permit-less carry……. A friend of mine from California asked me a couple of days ago if he would be able to lawfully carry in Texas if he came out to visit me once constitutional carry has gone into effect. I told him that I wasn’t absolutely certain, but that I didn’t see why not.

Then a customer asked me today if constitutional carry in Texas was going to be available to anyone visiting the state, or only to Texas residents. Again, I said I don’t see why it would not be available to all, but I thought I should verify that answer here before I answer again somewhere else.

Thoughts?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:50 pm I have a question about the implementation of permit-less carry……. A friend of mine from California asked me a couple of days ago if he would be able to lawfully carry in Texas if he came out to visit me once constitutional carry has gone into effect. I told him that I wasn’t absolutely certain, but that I didn’t see why not.

Then a customer asked me today if constitutional carry in Texas was going to be available to anyone visiting the state, or only to Texas residents. Again, I said I don’t see why it would not be available to all, but I thought I should verify that answer here before I answer again somewhere else.

Thoughts?
I see nothing in the bill itself that says that a person has to be a resident of Texas.
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 01927F.htm
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:13 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:50 pm I have a question about the implementation of permit-less carry……. A friend of mine from California asked me a couple of days ago if he would be able to lawfully carry in Texas if he came out to visit me once constitutional carry has gone into effect. I told him that I wasn’t absolutely certain, but that I didn’t see why not.

Thoughts?
I see nothing in the bill itself that says that a person has to be a resident of Texas.
Thanks, that’s what I thought, but I just wanted to be certain before possible giving out wrong information.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3
Posts in topic: 16

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:02 am
Flightmare wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:13 pm

Thoughts?
Thanks, that’s what I thought, but I just wanted to be certain before possible giving out wrong information.
Texas lawyers explain.

https://go.mylawshield.com/e/219422/tx- ... 4AIsgXymgs

See page 22 of the T-L-S "Texas Constitutional Carry Guide."

https://go.mylawshield.com/e/219422/tx- ... 4AIsgXymgs
Q: Can a non-Texas resident carry under the authority of Texas Constitutional Carry?
A: Yes, there is no requirement under The Firearm Carry Act of 2021 that a person has to be a Texas resident. So long as the person is otherwise qualified (e.g. non-prohibited person, who is a resident of another state), they may carry.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by NotRPB »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:40 pm
seph wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:13 pm My understanding for 46.03 places is that there is no change for LTC holders.
This is correct.

Prior to HB 1927 becoming law 46.03 locations were off limits by statute to license holders. No 30.06/7 signs or oral notice were required for them to be off limits.
seph wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:13 pm They have to post a 30.06/07 sign, or give verbal notice for those. A 46.03 sign means nothing for LTC, there would have to be the 30.06/07 notice given.
That is not correct. I believe you are thinking of certain locations in 46.035 that were specially off limits to license holders but were required to post 30.06/7 signs for 46.035 to have effect (such as hospitals, colleges and governmental meetings covered by the open meetings act).

With HB 1927, the locations that were specifically off limits to license holders are now rolled into 46.03, and they brought with them the same 30.06/7 notification requirements. These locations are also off limits for unlicensed carry and if those locations properly post 46.03 signs you have no defense to prosecution if you are caught carrying in those locations.
Here's the oddity I run into
As a Volunteer Emergency Services Personnel, 30.06 isn't a normal worry at businesses etc, unless it's an otherwise prohibited place.
Here's the thing... Burnet Tax Appraisal District is ok to carry, but next door, the Appraisal review board/hearing location next door is 30.06 posted on a 3x5 index card taped near a door handle, and it's an open meeting supposedly posted at the Courthouse....
At an Open meetings act meeting under 46.03, where prohibited if they post a valid 30.06 sign, what if they post an invalid 30.06 sign on a 3x5 index card :biggrinjester:
I'm old, I can't read font that small to see if there's a 46.03 sign, they have like 10 index cards with tiny printing on them taped to the door.
Papa_Tiger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:11 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:57 am
Papa_Tiger wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:54 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:39 pm Does this bill really change anything in regards to those who have their LTC? Or will that remain business as usual?
Based on my analysis, we can no longer be prevented from carrying in government meetings covered by the open meetings act and we get the "belt and shoulder" restriction removed from our holster choices.
This is great news. I’ve been wanting forever to ankle-carry a j-frame BUG while wearing cargo shorts. :lol:
Make sure you do it while at a city council meeting for full effect. :lol:
i'm missing how "we can no longer be prevented from carrying in government meetings covered by the open meetings act "
looks to me like if 1) they post at Courthouse and 2) post a VALID 30.06 sign, we are still prevented from carrying there... but, I could be wrong, often am mistaken, and my forgetter works better than my rememberer at my age. Also, I'm not a lawyer, I stayed at holiday in that had a merry-go-round once near the pool though.
https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._ ... tion_46.03
(13)
in an amusement park; or
(14)
in the room or rooms where a meeting of a governmental entity is held, if the meeting is an open meeting subject to Chapter 551 (Open Meetings), Government Code, and if the entity provided notice as required by that chapter.
but a 3x5 index card taped to the glass door with 10 other index cards ?

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by NotRPB »

JUST AS A FOLLOWUP, All they have is those invalid signs on 3x5 cards taped to the door AT THE BURNET COUNTY APPRAISAL REVIEW BOARD PLACE., no metal detectors, no police etc ... As far as the tiny signs posted at & below the glass door handle, I would have had to squat to read them, TEENY TINY FONT, I DO NOT EVEN KNOW IF THE CORRECT LANGUAGE WAS THERE, at my age I do not squat.
I am retired, and I barely do squat, I'm not a lawyer,
When it comes to dancing, I can get down with the best of them, I just can't get up again.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

It sounds like there might be some internal struggle going on there. Maybe someone told them they needed those big honkin signs and someone else didn't and thought about putting up a bunch of little ones to approximate the big sign size would be enough. Either that or some other JackWagon is having some fun.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”