Run-off election eligibility

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Run-off election eligibility

Post by LDB415 »

Perhaps only those who vote in the initial primary should be allowed to vote in a run-off election. If you don't care enough to vote initially why should you get to vote in a run-off, especially when it's just a ploy to defraud the results.

https://texasscorecard.com/state/democr ... al-runoff/
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

seph
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Run-off election eligibility

Post by seph »

I don't know if I want to go down that road of blocking people from voting in a primary runoff. The primaries are the most important battleground especially here in Texas.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

seph wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:06 pm I don't know if I want to go down that road of blocking people from voting in a primary runoff. The primaries are the most important battleground especially here in Texas.
I agree but on the other hand if someone doesn't care enough to vote in the primary why should they have the ability to alter the legitimate outcome of the runoff?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I hate to say it, but I literally forgot to vote in this primary. That may be the first time I’ve ever done that…I don’t recall ever having missed a primary before. It was a work day for me, and I think I just got busy and forgot. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can I please vote in the runoff? (Hint: I’m going to do whatever I want to do. :mrgreen: )
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

LDB415 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:31 pm
seph wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:06 pm I don't know if I want to go down that road of blocking people from voting in a primary runoff. The primaries are the most important battleground especially here in Texas.
I agree but on the other hand if someone doesn't care enough to vote in the primary why should they have the ability to alter the legitimate outcome of the runoff?
There is probably a better argument to be made that you should only vote in the primary for your registered party. In many parts of the State, the general election really decides nothing. The "opposition" numbers are so low that whoever the Republican candidate is wins. That is interesting because both the politicians and the opposition voters have figured out that dynamic. The Republican candidates take on a suspiciously non-Republican voting pattern after they are elected and the ranks of the Republican voters swell during the primaries as Democratic voters show up to influence the out comes. In one recent race, an upstart Conservative was running against an entrenched Rino. When the Rino determined via polls that he was going to lose, he enlisted Democratic party and BLM support. Anyone who believes that his win will result in full support for the Republican agenda is partaking of the "good stuff."

I can pretty much promise that efforts to limit the eligibility of voters based on their past voting patterns are going to be met with stiff resistance across the board. On a practical matter, I can say, as an official who worked the last election, that it is difficult enough to keep up with who is actually registered and who has requested a mail in ballot. I cannot imagine the administrative nightmare that would result if a voter showed up at the polls only to be turned away because they hadn't participated in the "qualifying" previous election.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

philip964

Post by philip964 »

If you voted in the Dem primary, are you allowed to vote in the Rep runoff? I thought you could not.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

philip964 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:06 am If you voted in the Dem primary, are you allowed to vote in the Rep runoff? I thought you could not.
If you voted in one party's primary this election, you are not allowed to vote in the other party's runoff election. However, if you did not vote in either party's primary, you are free to vote in either party's runoff election.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

I think the possibility of orchestrated mischief is low, but of course possible. Having missed the primary is understandable.

I worked this last election. They sent me across town. It was scary how many did not even know it was a primary, and wanted to know why they had to vote for only R or D. The good thing is they take their votes seriously, even being weaponized in their ignorance.

About not knowing it was a primary, many just hear it's time to vote, and go to the place they know.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:37 am I can pretty much promise that efforts to limit the eligibility of voters based on their past voting patterns are going to be met with stiff resistance across the board.
Yer dang skippy. I would be very hot under the collar if someone tried to tell me I couldn’t vote because I had missed a primary vote. I understand the need to make certain that Democrats and other unprincipled voters (but I repeat myself) don’t pull their usual crap and falsify votes; but I’ll be hanged if I’m going to let Republicans tell me I can’t vote because I missed a primary. I’d be mad enough to tell all future GOP candidates to go pound sand, and I’d join democrats in making as much noise about it as possible.

I’m all about requiring an ID to vote. I’m all about election reforms that will ensure that cretins don’t play fast and loose with the vote. Voter fraud is a real thing, and it HAS to be dealt with. But telling a registered voter with an ID that they can’t vote in an election because they missed voting in the primary is not only morally abhorrent, it’s downright unamerican. I’m not having it, and I’ll actively campaign against any such effort. It’s not right.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

On the one hand I agree completely. On the other I don't want the democrats flooding the republican runoff to alter the legitimate outcome. So if only allowing those who voted in the original election to vote in the runoff isn't the answer, what is?

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”