Abolish DST in Texas

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Abolish DST in Texas

Post by oohrah »

Not gun related, but something I think we should get behind.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 00013I.htm

Sen. Judith Zaffirini (D-Laredo) filed Senate Joint Resolution (SJR) 13, which would exempt Texas from daylight savings so that the standard time is in place year-long. I personally believe the reasons for DST are obsolete and now does nothing but upset everybody twice a year. Time to do away with it.

As a side note, we could not establish a permanent DST, we have to just go to standard time and opt out of DST to conform to the Universal Time Act.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Abolish DST in Texas

Post by srothstein »

oohrah wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:38 am Not gun related, but something I think we should get behind.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 00013I.htm

Sen. Judith Zaffirini (D-Laredo) filed Senate Joint Resolution (SJR) 13, which would exempt Texas from daylight savings so that the standard time is in place year-long. I personally believe the reasons for DST are obsolete and now does nothing but upset everybody twice a year. Time to do away with it.

As a side note, we could not establish a permanent DST, we have to just go to standard time and opt out of DST to conform to the Universal Time Act.
I think this is the first time Zaffarini proposed a bill I support and want to see pass.
Steve Rothstein

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

DST serves no purpose in 2021 especially. Nix it.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I think there are still plenty of people that enjoy hours of daylight after getting home from work. My personal feelings...I would hate for the Sun to come up at 5am on a Summer morning. I'd have to get outside really early in the morning to get the yard work done before it's hot. I'd be drinking beer by the pool by 9am. :lol:
Charlie

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

TxRVer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:59 pm I'd be drinking beer by the pool by 9am. :lol:
I don't really see a problem with that! :rolll
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Mel

Post by Mel »

Farmers have to be very careful that that extra hour of sun doesn't burn up the crops.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I disagree, I think DST should be permanent, year round. Who cares about daylight at 5 am? Like most people, I'm still in bed then. But it's nice to have 3+ hours of bright daylight in the evening, after work hours, to do something outside, take a walk or go jogging, throw some passes, play with the dogs, or whatever. I love DST.
-Ruark

Mel

Post by Mel »

Ruark wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:44 pm I disagree, I think DST should be permanent, year round. Who cares about daylight at 5 am? Like most people, I'm still in bed then. But it's nice to have 3+ hours of bright daylight in the evening, after work hours, to do something outside, take a walk or go jogging, throw some passes, play with the dogs, or whatever. I love DST.
My sentiments exactly! I love it. I just feel sorry for those workers over in Stonehenge. Moving those big rocks around twice a year is quite a task.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Overthehill

Post by Overthehill »

I personally cannot stand DST. It is understandable that 9 to 5 workers could enjoy the extra hour of daylight for various activities but perhaps a move to year long Standard time could be offset by companies allowing workers to come in and leave an hour earlier should they request to do so. This would also improve the drive time at rush hour for everyone. Just a thought.

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

One step at a time. The Universal Time Act allows states to opt out of DST (Arizona, parts of Indiana, to name a few), but does not allow permanent adoption of DST, only standard time. Let's get Texas off DST, onto permanent Central Standard Time, get everyone adjusted and then see if we want to lobby for permanent CDT.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Maybe I am just accustomed to it after spending most of my life with it but it really does not seem like that big of a deal to me. It does mess with my dog some. He wakes up at 4 and thinks it is time to eat. So he wakes me up pretending he wants to go outside and potty. He knows it is food time after potty time. I always get his bowl ready while he is outside.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Set the time 30 minutes to the middle. Tell everyone, everyone, you got half of what you wanted now shut up and go away.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:20 pm Maybe I am just accustomed to it after spending most of my life with it but it really does not seem like that big of a deal to me. It does mess with my dog some. He wakes up at 4 and thinks it is time to eat. So he wakes me up pretending he wants to go outside and potty. He knows it is food time after potty time. I always get his bowl ready while he is outside.
This. Dogs don't do time change.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

If we want to abolish DST, we should start saying that it's racist. Then the lefties will get it cancelled for us.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”