Attending Legislative Session

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Attending Legislative Session

Post by LSUTiger »

A friend and I are planning to attend the Thursday March 25th, 2021 hearings on Constitutional Carry at the TX Capital.

It’s our first time attending something like this in person. We plan on going for just the day. Can anyone who has attended such events give me any advice/suggestions?

Parking
Dining
Possible lodging
Capital Building protocols
What to expect
etc
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

srothstein

Re: Attending Legislative Session

Post by srothstein »

There is a public parking garage run by the state on San Jacinto at 12th. Pay by the hour but not too outrageous. If it is full (and it does fill up early when the legislature is holding hearings), try the parking garage for the Bullock Museum or the pay garage on UT's campus at San Jacinto. The Trinity st. Garage and the Hospital garage usually have room but cost a little more. Other than the state garage mentioned first, it is a four or five block walk to the capitol.

There is a public cafeteria in the Capitol itself which wasn't too bad when I was there last. Not great but not bad.

Lots of hotels in the area, but I would park a little further from downtown myself. The rates will drop as you move away from the Capitol, Campus, and Airport. The class and expense of the hotel is up to you, with everything from 5 star hotels to fleabag hotels in the area.

And remember, you do not have to support the panhandlers at all. Nothing wrong with saying no.
Steve Rothstein

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Chapter D: Organization, Powers, and Duties of Committees
22. A provision is added to require face masks that comply with CDC guidelines to be worn by all Members, House officers and employees, and all other persons attending a House committee meeting. Masks may be removed only as follows:

•Members are authorized to remove their masks when speaking from a microphone on the dais or when protected by barriers installed by the Committee on House Administration if unprotected persons are socially distanced.
•House officers and employees are authorized to remove their masks when speaking from a microphone or as directed by the committee chair.
•Witnesses are authorized to remove their masks when speaking from a microphone on the witness podium.

(Rule 16, § 8, adding Rule 4, § 8A)
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... nopsis.pdf
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Texas affiliate of the Gun Owners of America has a lot of info. https://texas.gunowners.org/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”