HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 67

Re: HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by Papa_Tiger »

chamberc wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:09 am
polekitty wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:06 am I see that it is listed on the Items Eligible For Consideration list for today. does that mean the house will discuss at some point today?
Yes, they can. They don't have to.
If I had to hazard a guess - they will get to this today or tomorrow and the House will refuse to concur with the Senate amendments. This will go to conference committee where they will hash out differences (possibly with a request for out of bounds resolution). The final committee report will be filed somewhere around May 26th and voted on around May 28th. HB 1927 will be signed by the Governor and go into effect on September 1, 2021.

In other words, this will follow the usual process for a somewhat contentious high-visibility bill where the House and Senate both want input into how the law would be implemented.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Flightmare »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:35 am
polekitty wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:06 am I see that it is listed on the Items Eligible For Consideration list for today. does that mean the house will discuss at some point today?
If I had to hazard a guess - they will get to this today or tomorrow and the House will refuse to concur with the Senate amendments. This will go to conference committee where they will hash out differences (possibly with a request for out of bounds resolution). The final committee report will be filed somewhere around May 26th and voted on around May 28th. HB 1927 will be signed by the Governor and go into effect on September 1, 2021.

In other words, this will follow the usual process for a somewhat contentious high-visibility bill where the House and Senate both want input into how the law would be implemented.
I agree that is the most likely outcome, though not a guarantee.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ralewis
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ralewis »

Flightmare wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 am

I don't believe this will get to the finish line. I think we're witnessing Texas gun politics in action. If you were a senator whose vote was contingent on an amendment thats gets tossed in Conference why would you vote for the final bill? Some of the Amendments are not acceptable to the House (or i'd at least hope so). Interesting to watch it all play out though.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

ralewis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:04 am
Flightmare wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 am

I don't believe this will get to the finish line. I think we're witnessing Texas gun politics in action. If you were a senator whose vote was contingent on an amendment thats gets tossed in Conference why would you vote for the final bill? Some of the Amendments are not acceptable to the House (or i'd at least hope so). Interesting to watch it all play out though.
I suspect the reason is because it technically only needs 16 votes to pass in the senate. Their rules required it to have 18 votes to bring it to the floor for debate. Mathematically, they could lose 2 republican votes and still pass this legislation in the senate. That being said, I can't think of any of the republicans who voted for the legislation who are willing to put their neck out there for a couple amendments and vote against them should they be removed. At the same time, that assumes that they WOULD be removed in conference committee.

I firmly believe that something in between what was passed by the house and passed by the senate will come out of conference committee. I expect it likely to pass on party line vote in the senate, and a bipartisan vote in the house. Once passed both chambers, I have no doubt that Abbott will sign it into law. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's likely I am.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 13

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

With only three weeks left until the end of the legislative session, it is critical Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Speaker Dade Phelan work together to fix Constitutional Carry and get HB 1927 to Governor Abbott’s desk immediately!

Lt. Gov. Patrick: (512) 463-0001

Speaker Phelan: (512) 463-1000

Your message can be as simple as:

"Please fix Constitutional Carry and get it to Governor Abbott’s desk right away -- without excuses or delays."

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

HB 1927 is the bill currently under discussion in the House. I stepped away for dinner and came back to see that there is a point of order raised against further consideration of the bill. We'll see what happens.

7:19 PM - Point of Order Withdrawn, HB 1927 temporarily withdrawn and will go back on the calendar.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

House refuses to concur with all of the Senate amendments. House has appointed conferees.

This is playing out exactly as I have predicted multiple times. Still plenty of time left in the session to get this over the finish line.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The appointed conferees are: State Reps. Matt Schaefer (R), James White (R), Terry Canales (D), Ryan Guillen (D), & Dustin Burrows (R).

Canales signed on as an author and gave the passionate speech IN FAVOR of this bill.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jim Beaux »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm With only three weeks left until the end of the legislative session, it is critical Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Speaker Dade Phelan work together to fix Constitutional Carry and get HB 1927 to Governor Abbott’s desk immediately!

Lt. Gov. Patrick: (512) 463-0001

Speaker Phelan: (512) 463-1000

Your message can be as simple as:

"Please fix Constitutional Carry and get it to Governor Abbott’s desk right away -- without excuses or delays."
A member of Young Americans For Liberty's Hazlit Action Program just left my door. He was placing door hangers on the doors of those who werent home. I was happily surprised. His appearance was as liberal as one could imagine - hair bleached orange and black, gauges in his ears and he was from Austin! :shock:

I was happy to see that we conservatives have such diversity. We talked for a few minutes and we sent him off with a bottle of cold water. :patriot:

I did call Dade Phelan's office (my senator). I also logged in to TexasConCarry.com and requested that he represent the values of those of us who voted for him. :tiphat: I also mentioned that I was apprehensive as to what I perceived to be his lack of enthusiasm in supporting HB1927.

I hope he comes through for us.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jim Beaux wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:47 pmA member of Young Americans For Liberty's Hazlit Action Program just left my door. He was placing door hangers on the doors of those who werent home. I was happily surprised. His appearance was as liberal as one could imagine - hair bleached orange and black, gauges in his ears and he was from Austin! :shock:

I was happy to see that we conservatives have such diversity. We talked for a few minutes and we sent him off with a bottle of cold water. :patriot:
Interesting...
YAL: https://yaliberty.org/
Hazlitt's Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hazlitt

Thanks for posting, Jim. :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Senate Conferees appointed: Schwertner (Chair) | Birdwell | Campbell | Creighton | Hughes

5 Republicans. Several who have been pretty staunch 2A supporters.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm Senate Conferees appointed: Schwertner (Chair) | Birdwell | Campbell | Creighton | Hughes

I agree that several of these are staunch 2A supporters. Keep in mind, 2 of them added amendments that caused this to go to conference committee in the first place.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 12

Post by powerboatr »

Flightmare wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 pm
Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm Senate Conferees appointed: Schwertner (Chair) | Birdwell | Campbell | Creighton | Hughes

I agree that several of these are staunch 2A supporters. Keep in mind, 2 of them added amendments that caused this to go to conference committee in the first place.
hughes is my districts guy.....he is not very hmm good
he never responds to letters or calls , but darn at fund raisers he cant kiss enough backsides.
i sure hope our folks have rang his number until it falls off
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

Any news of the conference committee's work on this bill?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

RHenriksen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:15 pm Any news of the conference committee's work on this bill?
No, and we won't likely hear much until the last few days of the session as the House is busy now working on Senate bills and the Senate is largely busy working on all the bills that have been passed by the House.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”