HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 16

Re: HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by oljames3 »

RHenriksen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:15 pm Any news of the conference committee's work on this bill?
GOA Texas https://texas.gunowners.org/goa-texas-bullet-5-17-2021/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Any updates on this?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:58 pm Any updates on this?
Canales and Schaefer have said that they are making progress and are confident it will pass.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

I was doing some training at the range for a couple of clients Saturday, and while I was waiting for them to finish filling out their releases I was chatting with the range master. I asked him if he thought HB 1927 was going to pass. He told me he had serious reservations about it. He thought that too many people would be carrying without knowing our gun laws. I told him it's no different than any other law, ignorance is no excuse.

He said he felt that it was ok, but it should require a training class. Similar to hunter's ed. I asked if hunting was in the constitution? Why should a God given, and constitutionally guaranteed right be infringed? I asked what happened if someone came along and dictated that the price for that class was $500. He said, that's ridiculous. That wouldn't ever happen. I asked him about cans... and their "tax". I asked him why should we have to pay that fee for something that should be a standard hearing protection device we all use? Then we drifted off into the Portland BLM guys pointing rifles at traffic to stop them.

On my way out of the range, he stopped me and said he'd been thinking about it. And he came to the conclusion that I was 100% right.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

clarionite wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:28 pm I was doing some training at the range for a couple of clients Saturday, and while I was waiting for them to finish filling out their releases I was chatting with the range master. I asked him if he thought HB 1927 was going to pass. He told me he had serious reservations about it. He thought that too many people would be carrying without knowing our gun laws. I told him it's no different than any other law, ignorance is no excuse.

He said he felt that it was ok, but it should require a training class. Similar to hunter's ed. I asked if hunting was in the constitution? Why should a God given, and constitutionally guaranteed right be infringed? I asked what happened if someone came along and dictated that the price for that class was $500. He said, that's ridiculous. That wouldn't ever happen. I asked him about cans... and their "tax". I asked him why should we have to pay that fee for something that should be a standard hearing protection device we all use? Then we drifted off into the Portland BLM guys pointing rifles at traffic to stop them.

On my way out of the range, he stopped me and said he'd been thinking about it. And he came to the conclusion that I was 100% right.
Thankyou for having a civil conversation that helped to encourage thought! We need to be having more of these!

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Papa_Tiger »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:58 pm Any updates on this?
As of today, there are only 7 bills that have had conference committees appointed for them. This includes the general appropriations bill and HB 1927. I very strongly believe that we will not see much external action on any of these bills until the last 5 days of the session when the legislature can't do much else than wrap up the conference committee reports. Keep in mind 84(R) HB 910 (Open Carry) wasn't hashed out and concurred to in both the House and Senate until May 29th, 2015 (the 137th day If I'm doing my calculations correctly). Campus Carry (84(R) SB 11) wasn't finalized until May 31st - the 139th day of the session.

For all those getting impatient, please keep in mind, there is still time. The negotiations are going on behind the curtain now, and we won't get a peek at the final bill until the conference committee report is filed, which again, likely won't be until within the last 5 days of the session.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

Flightmare wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:31 pm
clarionite wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:28 pm I was doing some training at the range for a couple of clients Saturday, and while I was waiting for them to finish filling out their releases I was chatting with the range master. I asked him if he thought HB 1927 was going to pass. He told me he had serious reservations about it. He thought that too many people would be carrying without knowing our gun laws. I told him it's no different than any other law, ignorance is no excuse.

Thankyou for having a civil conversation that helped to encourage thought! We need to be having more of these!
There's no reason not to be civil about it. He's one of us, just hadn't thought it all the way through. He'd listened to too much of the hype about it.
Even if he wasn't one of us, not being civil wouldn't have gotten anywhere. I find that having a rational conversation about topics like this does one of 3 things...

1. They see the point I'm trying to make, and they may agree or disagree but they understand it's not such a crazy idea.
2. They aren't willing to discuss it in a civil manor, so I remove myself from the conversation.
3. They get frustrated with not being able to rationally defend their position and they remove themselves from the conversation.

I've had more of 1 & 3 than 2 by a long shot if I'm calm and present facts. #1 is by far the most common with people I associate with.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

clarionite wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:38 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:31 pm

There's no reason not to be civil about it. He's one of us, just hadn't thought it all the way through. He'd listened to too much of the hype about it.
Even if he wasn't one of us, not being civil wouldn't have gotten anywhere. I find that having a rational conversation about topics like this does one of 3 things...

1. They see the point I'm trying to make, and they may agree or disagree but they understand it's not such a crazy idea.
2. They aren't willing to discuss it in a civil manor, so I remove myself from the conversation.
3. They get frustrated with not being able to rationally defend their position and they remove themselves from the conversation.

I've had more of 1 & 3 than 2 by a long shot if I'm calm and present facts. #1 is by far the most common with people I associate with.
That has been my experience as well.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Rep Schaefer just posted on social media;
Big Second Amendment news for Texas coming very soon! #2A
I'm hoping this is in reference to 1927

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tex1961 »

Flightmare wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:17 pm Rep Schaefer just posted on social media;
I hate when people do that, give us news or don’t.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tex1961 »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:17 pm Rep Schaefer just posted on social media;
I hate when people do that, give us news or don’t. I’m referring to his FB post, not yours.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 13

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 pm
I hate when people do that, give us news or don’t.
:iagree: :iagree:

chamberc
Posts in topic: 7

Post by chamberc »

Tick Toc.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Papa_Tiger »

chamberc wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:50 amTick Toc.
Patience grasshopper.
If you want information as soon as it is available, go to the Texas Legislature Online site and register for an account on the "My TLO" tab at the top.

Once registered, select the "Alerts" link.
In the box under "Bill Number" type "HB 1927" and from the drop down, select "Any Category"

This will send you an e-mail any time there is activity that is recorded on the bill.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Comment by Sen. Schwertner on social media
Texas has fulfilled the promise of our founding documents by finally restoring the right of law-abiding Texans to carry a handgun without a license for the defense of themselves and their loved ones. I’m thankful the Senate and House were able to come together to pass the best Constitutional Carry law in the United States.
I want to thank Representative Matt Schaefer, Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, Speaker Dade Phelan, and the countless citizens who helped us get Constitutional Carry to Governor Abbott’s desk.
Still waiting for the specifics on what the committee agreed to.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”