Dem lawmakers fleeing Texas

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Dem lawmakers fleeing Texas

Post by powerboatr »

srothstein wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:10 pm
rtschl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:58 pm According to this report, Briscoe Cain says private planes purportedly owned by Philippe Khalil Ziade, a Lebanese-American entrepreneur and honorary consul of Lebanon in Nevada
I thought the Dems were opposed to foreign interference in our political processes.
not when its helping them...dont you know

he needs a painful IRS visit and all need an investigation into bribery
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

srothstein
Posts in topic: 4

Post by srothstein »

Interestingly, here is the rule on arresting the legislators who bugged out:
Section 8. Securing a Quorum
When a call of the house is moved for one of the above purposes and seconded by 15 members (of whom the speaker may be one) and ordered by a majority vote, the main entrance to the hall and all other doors leading out of the hall shall be locked and no member permitted to leave the house without the written permission of the speaker. The names of members present shall be recorded. All absentees for whom no sufficient excuse is made may, by order of a majority of those present, be sent for and arrested, wherever they may be found, by the sergeant-at-arms or an officer appointed by the sergeant-at-arms for that purpose, and their attendance shall be secured and retained. The house shall determine on what conditions they shall be discharged. Members who voluntarily appear shall, unless the house otherwise directs, be immediately admitted to the hall of the house and shall report their names to the clerk to be entered in the journal as present.

Until a quorum appears, should the roll call fail to show one present, no business shall be transacted, except to compel the attendance of absent members or to adjourn. It shall not be in order to recess under a call of the house.
What I found most interesting is that the rule says the arrest may take place wherever they are found but so far everyone says it must be in Texas. I am guessing that this is because there is no set penalty attached and SCOTUS has ruled only felonies may cause an arrest out of state. That would also be why they left the state instead of just hiding in state or having to flee the country.

Even more interesting is that it takes a majority of the house to vote to release them from the arrest. Could we convince the Republicans to hold them until the end of the next session?

There is one good point to this. The governor had used the line veto option to eliminate all budget money for the legislature beginning Sep. 1. That bill has not yet passed the special session. It cannot be passed until they return for a quorum. The funny part is that this veto included agencies like the Legislative Budget Board. I hate to see the employees lose their jobs, but I love to see that we are not spending any money on these people who fled the state.
Steve Rothstein

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jrs_diesel »

Aren't the seats vacated if one is absent too long as well? I seem to recall reading that in regards to this, but not sure on the rules or specifics :confused5
J.R.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

jrs_diesel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:33 pm Aren't the seats vacated if one is absent too long as well? I seem to recall reading that in regards to this, but not sure on the rules or specifics :confused5
One state rep won his seat prior to last session from jail, and was released just before session started. He would have been able to technically maintain his seat while in jail, since the charge was a misdemeanor.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01/04 ... -democrat/
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BTW, is it HB6 that has their panties in a wad? Because I’ve just been reading the bill, and it shines a bright white light on the electoral process going forward, getting rid of the murky corners where cheating can happen. Who wouldn’t want transparency and accountability in the voting process? Only a crook, that's who.
https://capitol.texas.gov/Search/DocVie ... &DocType=B
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:18 am
According to reports, Texas is now a blissful and prosperous utopia, only 12 hours after Democrat lawmakers left in their private charter plane.
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

Cuba or South Africa... that's where we need to send them to really give them the full experience of what they have been working for all these years.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

srothstein wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:33 pm Interestingly, here is the rule on arresting the legislators who bugged out:
Section 8. Securing a Quorum
When a call of the house is moved for one of the above purposes and seconded by 15 members (of whom the speaker may be one) and ordered by a majority vote, the main entrance to the hall and all other doors leading out of the hall shall be locked and no member permitted to leave the house without the written permission of the speaker. The names of members present shall be recorded. All absentees for whom no sufficient excuse is made may, by order of a majority of those present, be sent for and arrested, wherever they may be found, by the sergeant-at-arms or an officer appointed by the sergeant-at-arms for that purpose, and their attendance shall be secured and retained. The house shall determine on what conditions they shall be discharged. Members who voluntarily appear shall, unless the house otherwise directs, be immediately admitted to the hall of the house and shall report their names to the clerk to be entered in the journal as present.

Until a quorum appears, should the roll call fail to show one present, no business shall be transacted, except to compel the attendance of absent members or to adjourn. It shall not be in order to recess under a call of the house.
What I found most interesting is that the rule says the arrest may take place wherever they are found but so far everyone says it must be in Texas. I am guessing that this is because there is no set penalty attached and SCOTUS has ruled only felonies may cause an arrest out of state. That would also be why they left the state instead of just hiding in state or having to flee the country.

Even more interesting is that it takes a majority of the house to vote to release them from the arrest. Could we convince the Republicans to hold them until the end of the next session?

There is one good point to this. The governor had used the line veto option to eliminate all budget money for the legislature beginning Sep. 1. That bill has not yet passed the special session. It cannot be passed until they return for a quorum. The funny part is that this veto included agencies like the Legislative Budget Board. I hate to see the employees lose their jobs, but I love to see that we are not spending any money on these people who fled the state.
I wonder if this is why they chose the (Federal) District of Columbia. If I recall correctly, the last time they pulled this they fled to Oklahoma when they had a Democrat governor. Or for whatever reason, I seem to recall that Oklahoma was not going to support the arrest by Texas LEO's in Oklahoma. No more Frank Hamer with a Texas Highway Patrol commission and the local Sheriff setting up an ambush. :shock:
Last edited by ScottDLS on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

OK, so I get that Texas law enforcement can't arrest these folks in another state. But don't states (and DC) usually cooperate with warrants issued by other states? If DC refuses to help Texas here, then we should definitely look long and hard at whether Texas LE resources are used to arrest anyone in Texas on outstanding warrants from that District, especially for things that are not illegal in Texas.

Also, is there a restriction on using bounty hunters to effect an arrest in another state and physically transport them back to Texas?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:14 am OK, so I get that Texas law enforcement can't arrest these folks in another state. But don't states (and DC) usually cooperate with warrants issued by other states? If DC refuses to help Texas here, then we should definitely look long and hard at whether Texas LE resources are used to arrest anyone in Texas on outstanding warrants from that District, especially for things that are not illegal in Texas.

Also, is there a restriction on using bounty hunters to effect an arrest in another state and physically transport them back to Texas?
Dog...the big bad Dog. Dog, the bounty hunter! Lucky they didn't go to Hawaii or Duane (Dog) Chapman and Da Kine Bail Bonds woulda' got them. :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:19 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:14 am OK, so I get that Texas law enforcement can't arrest these folks in another state. But don't states (and DC) usually cooperate with warrants issued by other states? If DC refuses to help Texas here, then we should definitely look long and hard at whether Texas LE resources are used to arrest anyone in Texas on outstanding warrants from that District, especially for things that are not illegal in Texas.

Dog...the big bad Dog. Dog, the bounty hunter! Lucky they didn't go to Hawaii or Duane (Dog) Chapman and Da Kine Bail Bonds woulda' got them. :lol:
I remember Dog arresting some sex offender in Mexico a few years back. I think he got in some hot water for that one, but of course that's crossing international borders.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I don't know if it's possible for the Governor to do it or not, but if possible I recommend stopping pay for all Democrats and their staff, deny access to offices and buildings, official websites, data bases and email accounts as well as any other official electronic information. Report their plane trip costs and other expenses paid by others to the IRS. Call the employers of those who have jobs and inform them that any leave of absence they are taking should end since they are not carrying out their legislative duties.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Although we complain loudly, not showing up, is used by conservatives as well. I think that was going to be used as the nuclear option to stop filibuster removal in the Senate.

Recently it was used by the two conservative judges in Harris County commissioners court to stop a tax increase before the new no tax increase with out a countywide vote law went into effect.

extremist

Post by extremist »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:18 pm Although we complain loudly, not showing up, is used by conservatives as well. I think that was going to be used as the nuclear option to stop filibuster removal in the Senate.

Recently it was used by the two conservative judges in Harris County commissioners court to stop a tax increase before the new no tax increase with out a countywide vote law went into effect.
Well that makes it okay I guess :roll:
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

puma guy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:48 am I don't know if it's possible for the Governor to do it or not, but if possible I recommend stopping pay for all Democrats and their staff, deny access to offices and buildings, official websites, data bases and email accounts as well as any other official electronic information. Report their plane trip costs and other expenses paid by others to the IRS. Call the employers of those who have jobs and inform them that any leave of absence they are taking should end since they are not carrying out their legislative duties.
I like that plan, a lot.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:48 am Call the employers of those who have jobs and inform them that any leave of absence they are taking should end since they are not carrying out their legislative duties.
:evil2: I like the way your mind works. :evil2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”