Dem lawmakers fleeing Texas

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Dem lawmakers fleeing Texas

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If there is another active thread on this, I apologize. I couldn't find one.

Now that a large number of Democratic state legislators have fled Texas and announced their intention to live outside our state for as long as possible to block the expected repeated special sessions that Abbot will call, I'm wondering whether they meet the residency requirements to be eligible for the next election. This is what I get from Google on the requirements:
He or she must have been a resident of the state for two years immediately preceding election, and for one year immediately preceding election must have been a resident of the district from which he or she was chosen.
How can someone be a resident of Texas when they have not lived in the state for an extended period, and they have publicly announced their intention to live outside the state for an indeterminate period of time, with no definitive plans to ever return to the state.

I'm thinking that if they continue with this childishness, then they should all be declared to be ineligible to run for re-election in 2022, since they will not be able to meet the requirement of being a Texas resident for 2 years prior to November 2022, assuming that they decide to move back to Texas at some later point in time.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dem lawmakers fleeing Texas

Post by Grayling813 »

I think they should be arrested upon returning to Texas and brought to their legislative chambers in leg irons.

The pictures of them maskless, drinking Miller Lite on their charter flight are disgusting.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rtschl »

So the Texas House voted to arrest the fleeing Democrats 76-4 (4 Dems who remained voted no). https://justthenews.com/government/stat ... s-who-fled

My question is what does that mean? Can they serve jail time or just be compelled to return to the House chambers - after the Special Session is over when it will not matter because they broke the quorum and waited it out?

What should happen is that they each have to pay out of their own pockets the cost of the Special Session - no campaign or donated money allowed.

Next special session, the Sergeant at Arms should have the Capital Building exits blocked so that no lawmaker can leave without being arrested.
Ron
NRA Member

Hoodasnacks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hoodasnacks »

Can we draft up a bill that would be repulsive to them and tell them that it will also be part of the special session if they are not back by the end of the month? Some ideas:

--extend constitutional carry to actually be constitutional carry (18 years old)
--border wall/security funding
--real energy policy (nuclear plants, pipelines, etc.)
--anything that hits teachers unions

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i am just a dumb old fart, but if your sworn to an oath to carry out your prescribed duties and then FLEE like a 3rd grader, shouldn't you loose any and all compensation and positions therein? cant legislature start impeachment proceedings and use the rule of the court to hold court without the charged present, there by impeaching them for failure of oath of office.

and cant comptroller suspend any and all pay or allowances if they are not in attendance to the special session?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

ELB

Post by ELB »

And disrupting a Special Session called according to the Texas Constitution is fundamentally different from trying to protest and disrupt the acceptance of the Electoral College results of an election that more than half the country believes was hokey? I guess one difference is no one has shot a Democrat legislator.
USAF 1982-2005

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

rtschl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:00 pm So the Texas House voted to arrest the fleeing Democrats 76-4 (4 Dems who remained voted no). https://justthenews.com/government/stat ... s-who-fled

My question is what does that mean? Can they serve jail time or just be compelled to return to the House chambers - after the Special Session is over when it will not matter because they broke the quorum and waited it out?
This is my question.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

If Republicans had done this they would already have been arrested. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think republicans will do anything to them for their actions.

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Syntyr »

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Syntyr »

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Who paid for this party they are on. Private jets are not cheap
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

RPBrown wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:24 pm Who paid for this party they are on. Private jets are not cheap
According to this report, Briscoe Cain says private planes purportedly owned by Philippe Khalil Ziade, a Lebanese-American entrepreneur and honorary consul of Lebanon in Nevada

More here: https://nationalfile.com/texas-state-re ... tion-bill/
Ron
NRA Member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Maybe the State of Texas should seize all of Mr. Ziad assets pending an investigation into bribery and influence peddling In regard to State Officials
Just Saying
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

dlh

Post by dlh »

Extradition proceedings?...
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

rtschl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:58 pm According to this report, Briscoe Cain says private planes purportedly owned by Philippe Khalil Ziade, a Lebanese-American entrepreneur and honorary consul of Lebanon in Nevada
I thought the Dems were opposed to foreign interference in our political processes.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”