University of Texas (UT) Campus Carry page

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TinaMiB
Posts in topic: 2

University of Texas (UT) Campus Carry page

Post by TinaMiB »

UT sent out the following note regarding Campus Carry. This was one part of a larger email entitled "Message from UT President Gregory L. Fenves | July 2015"

The web link to the page is http://campuscarry.utexas.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Campus Carry Legislation
There is much concern within the university community about how the campus carry law passed by the Texas Legislature will affect faculty members, staffers and students. The law, which goes into effect Aug. 1, 2016, recognizes the individual needs of each campus in Texas and authorizes university presidents to develop protocols that are appropriate for their institutions. I will assemble a task force later this summer that will work through the coming year to create policies that comply with the new law, protect people’s rights and ensure the safety and security of our entire campus community. Our plan will be formed in close collaboration with UT System Chancellor William McRaven and the Board of Regents. This webpage has information about the legislation and will include updates on the task force’s progress.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: University of Texas (UT) Campus Carry page

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Link worked, and just quit working for me... Maybe they pulled the page down?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GeekwithaGun »

link worked for me
NRA Life Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

FWIW I filled out the survey as a retiree (which I am.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yeah, it's back now
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
TinaMiB

Post by TinaMiB »

It will be interesting to watch the updates. I hope everyone that can take the survey does. I am a UT staff member and also an facilitator/instructor for A Girl and A Gun. I plan to make a similar post on our ladies private facebook page and ask any of them that have affiliation with UT to do the same.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

For the safety of their entire campus? I'm so sure!

August 1, 2016? I completely forgot they got a whole year to strategize how to keep as much as possible off limits. :grumble

Oh well, at least I don't have any more graduations to go to for a few years.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

Be aware that you don't have to have a formal relationship to the university in order to complete the survey. Anyone can fill it out. Under "Relationship to University", I simply selected "Other" and entered "Taxpayer" in the box.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

TrueFlog wrote:Be aware that you don't have to have a formal relationship to the university in order to complete the survey. Anyone can fill it out. Under "Relationship to University", I simply selected "Other" and entered "Taxpayer" in the box.
Thanks for pointing that out. Survey sent.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

I sent the survey...asked them to consider lockers outside locations where CC will not be allowed. If someone is walking from a parking spot up to 2 miles away from a campus event, they shouldn't have to disarm for that dangerous walk through some shady neighborhoods.

Piney

Post by Piney »

Discussions underway in relation to formulating a UT System-level and/or campus level policies which would identify employees and possibly students as CHL holders. The information may be available to administration and PD.

Unacceptable, IMO.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Piney wrote:Discussions underway in relation to formulating a UT System-level and/or campus level policies which would identify employees and possibly students as CHL holders. The information may be available to administration and PD.

Unacceptable, IMO.

Great... Next they'll be asking them to sew a big Star of David on their clothes so that we all know who they are.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Piney wrote:Discussions underway in relation to formulating a UT System-level and/or campus level policies which would identify employees and possibly students as CHL holders. The information may be available to administration and PD.

Unacceptable, IMO.
Where did you hear/read this?

Thanks.

KLB

Post by KLB »

The other UT (University of Tennessee) and other schools and colleges on Tennessee will just now be allowing faculty to carry on campus/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... essee-law/

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

KLB wrote:The other UT (University of Tennessee) and other schools and colleges on Tennessee will just now be allowing faculty to carry on campus/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... essee-law/
Excellent news! Of course (given my screenname and my avatar), I prefer the term "The Real UT" rather than the "The Other UT". After all, we were a school before Texas was a state!

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”